PLAYER Andrew McCullough

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
Let’s not forget those times when Hodges blatantly pushed Macca out of the way to take over at dummy half. And it wasn’t just to take his dummy half runs.
Hodges was known for running from dummy half every single time he was there though?

I'm still confident that the issues with McCullough are greatly exaggerated. I haven't seen a massive difference between his last few games and the others he has played this season. I suspect that now people are watching him more closely, they can see that he does actually know how to pass, engage the markers, and has the game awareness to get the ball to the halves when a decent attacking opportunity arises.

But because everyone has been told "he's shit", they think that he's only doing these things now, these last few weeks, where in actual fact he's always been capable of it, and even when he's down on form, is still at about 90% of his best. He is very consistent.

On top of that, McCullough is the sort of hooker we need, or at least, has been up until now. If the criticism of Milford & Nikorima were correct, in that neither were controlling halves, and relied on their running game, then surely a cool, consistent head at dummy half is required to balance them out. Same goes for defence - both halves have been hopeless this year in that regard, and are giving the opposition little resistance - all the more reason to have a strong defender to cover the middle should the other forwards need to spread out to compensate.

Cult3 Cult3 was spot on, even with McCullough having what many people said was a decent game, our team failures were still just as bad. Our issues don't lie at hooker at all.
Pfft....fuck off! We could have replaced him with an avergae backrower and not noticed a difference 5 yrs ago.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Rep
It's no mystery why we look a lot more fluid when McC isn't playing and a guy with a handful of first grade games is and you shouldn't delude yourself into thinking it is.

bb_gun

NRL Player
It's no mystery why we look a lot more fluid when McC isn't playing and a guy with a handful of first grade games is and you shouldn't delude yourself into thinking it is.
No one is, really. I don't believe I'm alone in thinking that a we wait until we face a warranted opposition before making those claims.

McCullough may go down as the worst hooker in our established career but tonight's game is nothing to compare it against.

We need to beat the top seeded teams before writing that kind of info as fact.

We looked better tonight, sure, but was it entirely because Macca was out?

teampjta

QCup Player
No one is, really. I don't believe I'm alone in thinking that a we wait until we face a warranted opposition before making those claims.

McCullough may go down as the worst hooker in our established career but tonight's game is nothing to compare it against.

We need to beat the top seeded teams before writing that kind of info as fact.

We looked better tonight, sure, but was it entirely because Macca was out?
Macca has had almost 250 nrl games to prove himself, how many games will Turps get?

Might not have been entirely because Macca was out, but 40-50% at least was due to better attacking service out of dummy half.

Macca has had more than enough time to prove himself, he’s mediocre at best, it Turps or Segeyaro continue to provide standard nrl service out of the 9, then they stay

heartly87

QCup Player
I don't know how many people had the fox league broadcast on last night but both Ennis and Parker both felt Turpin changed the tempo of the team for the better and allowed Milf to have more time with the ball. Parker also seemed to have a few negative things to say about Andrews attacking game, saying he has become a defencive player and other teams know it. To be honest they both sounded like BroncosHQ readers haha.

LGH

BRL Player
I don't know how many people had the fox league broadcast on last night but both Ennis and Parker both felt Turpin changed the tempo of the team for the better and allowed Milf to have more time with the ball. Parker also seemed to have a few negative things to say about Andrews attacking game, saying he has become a defencive player and other teams know it. To be honest they both sounded like BroncosHQ readers haha.
I found it telling that a guy who played as Brisbane’s hooker and another one who played with Macca both essentially said we were playing better with out him and a few times singled out things Turpin did that they felt Macca wouldn’t have.

ivanhungryjak

NRL Captain
Suncorp Stadium
Free agent McCullough has options as he eyes early injury return
Thu 16 May 2019, 12:35 PM
Andrew McCullough has been in the Broncos system since he was 12, and is expected to remain in maroon and gold for the rest of his days despite being a free agent for the past six months.
McCullough re-signed with the Broncos for four years midway through 2017, but the final two seasons of his deal are options in his favour, making the one-club man technically able to negotiate with other clubs since last November.
The club has confirmed the nature of McCullough's deal and while remaining confident he would stay, underlined the fact that the representative No.9 has the right to explore his options outside of Red Hill.
McCullough is yet to take up the option of staying at Brisbane after brief discussions about his future with club management.
In a more imminent boost for the Broncos, McCullough is understood to be pushing to return from his MCL tear inside a month, shaving at least two weeks off the initial time frame.
Set for another Queensland Origin outing until going down at training last week, McCullough is a renowned quick healer and doesn't require surgery.
Every try from Round 9

Every try from Round 9
Brisbane have the bye in round 12 – which McCullough could have potentially had himself fit for – and a home derby against the Titans a week later, bringing the 29-year-old back into Maroons contention for the final two Origin matches.
With no other obvious hooking option outside of McCullough and his replacement Jake Turpin, Brisbane secured the services of livewire James Segeyaro before last Friday's win over Manly, which was announced on Monday.
New Bronco James Segeyaro.
New Bronco James Segeyaro.
Unable to get any NRL game time at Cronulla due to the club's salary cap penalty, Segeyaro's move north for the rest of 2019 was orchestrated in 48 hours.
Seibold has outlined a utility role for the 2014 Dally M hooker having named him as 18th man for this Friday's clash with the Roosters.
After spending the summer without an NRL contract, and then another two months with Newtown due to the Sharks' cap predicament, Segeyaro was measured on his chances of landing another deal beyond 2019.
"I can only hope," he said earlier this week.
"We have a good hooker there in Andrew McCullough and the young hooker [Jake Turpin] and I am sure if I am playing great footy the rest will take care of itself.
"I’ve always seen myself being back in Queensland and if I can be consistent hopefully I will play a lot of games for the Broncos."
Munster puts Smith on the spot regarding Origin return

Munster puts Smith on the spot regarding Origin return
Segeyaro revealed he and McCullough go back well into their junior days at opposite ends of the Sunshine State.
"I look forward to being mentored by Macca and seeing how I can fit in with the team and what I can bring," Segeyaro said.
"Growing up I played with North Queensland rep sides against Macca. He was always the number one and now I get the opportunity to train alongside him week-in and week-out, you pinch yourself."
Story here.

soup

State of Origin Rep
Story here.

I’m loving Segeyaro’s attitude when speaking to the media over the past week. Hopefully he has learned his lessons and we will get to cheer him on as he realises his incredible potential as a Bronco, long-term.

Have always loved the bloke, his background story and his dynamic style on the field. We all fall down at times in our life, but as they say, it’s about how you get back up and move on. Go you good thing!

Gaz

NRL Player
Rugby League is evolving like every thing else. We used to say there are footballers then there are wingers. That’s not the case anymore. Andrew plays a bit like Turtle did ( a bit ) - but hookers have also evolved and now need extra skills - and speed. Andrew is more of an 'old school' hooker and will always be. He simply doesn’t have the speed or skills we expect of him.

Jedhead

NRL Player
Here’s the story on the footy show. One of the best they ever did IMHO.

Pity his dad is not here in the flesh to see him pull on a Broncos jersey.

I'm sure he'll be watching though and I hope Segs does him proud tomorrow night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Legend01

Highlights