Best ingame moments of the past 10 (or so) years

Can we go back to 2007. 71-6 verse the knights. Glory Days before Locky did his knee.

Speaking of which, you can now buy that game on DVD.

Rugby League Films are back. I think they are under a different name, but I came across their site a couple of months back I just can't remember it. However, this game was one of the games available.

Also had some games from 2006 and 90's.

Meh you did fine mate :)

Brings back memories of the first montage I ever put together.. A montage I would rather forget existed.

Someone else knocked it off and put their own title on it, but the rest was my work.

I was going through a bit of a techno phase during that time... It's rubbish lol.

The Lockyer field goal off both posts to win it against the Titans at Suncorp.

Was my first ever Broncos home game, such a thrill.

1998 broncos v knights. Super league premiers v arl premiers. The broncos slaughtered them and showed who the true 1997 premiers were (despite this almost never being recognised). That 1998 side was a beast of a team.

10 years you say?

Alex Glenn's Line-Break against North Queensland Round 1, 2009 - After the heart-ache of 2008, it was nice to be back at the footy and see some of the stars of the NYC take the next step up. The one memory that sticks out to me is Alex Glenn making a break in his yellow neon boots and while the Broncos didn't score off of it, it seemed like a real sign of the future.

Peter Wallace's Field Goal against North Queensland Round 1, 2009 - Pete wasn't as talented as a lot of halfbacks in the competition, but very few had his mettle. In the pressure situations, he seemed to invariably come up trumps. That was a huge play that really set the Broncos up for the next month in the competition.

Israel Folau's Try against Melbourne Storm Round 2, 2009 - For an entire off-season, us fans dreamt about this exact play and Folau executed it so flawlessly it became a big part of the NRL's marketing. A picture-esque try and a really nice way to bring up the doubles on my ticket.

Israel Folau's Try against Warriors Round 3, 2009 - Big Dave Taylor down the fringe finds Izzy in one of the more enjoyable games of the season. After beating North Queensland and Melbourne to start the season, it was beginning to feel like 2009 could be the Broncos season.

Antonio Winterstein's Try against Sydney Round 5, 2009 - It was like watching a replay of Rugby League 2. Brisbane got the ball wide to Winterstein who proceeded to dart back in field and left the cover defence for dead.

Karmichael Hunt's Try against Sydney Round 5, 2009 - From memory, the Broncos got a kick behind the posts and K swooped in and planted it down for one of the smoothest tries I've seen the Broncos score.

Palmer Wapau Bomb against Parramatta Round 7, 2009 (?) - Wapau was a cult figure among fans and somehow he found himself with the ball on the last. Despite having Lockyer and Wallace in the side, Wapau ended up hoiking it and from memory it was a pretty decent strike.

Kamikaze Karmichael against Parramatta Round 7, 2009 - K tried to take Fui on one on one with a shoulder charge. He was a dead-set mad man.

Antonio Winterstein nearly steals it for Brisbane Round 9, 2009 - One of the worst losses I've ever attended, but for a second, it looked like Brisbane were about to pull one of the all-time back from the dead victories you'll see. With the last throw of the dice, the Broncos hoiked a kick up down Wolfman's wing. Wolfman was having severe second year syndrome and Winterstein plucked it in the air and scored in one motion. It was unbelievable, but then it turned out Corey Parker was kicking the goal.

Hodges' sneak attack Round 20, 2009 - I don't think I enjoyed a 16 point loss more than this. Brisbane were without a ton of stars and were up against an in-form and largely unscathed Titans line-up. It all went to script until the final few moments of the game where the Broncos put some points on. With little time remaining and the Broncos attacking the Titans line, Hodges got into dummy half, flicked his fingers and delivered a no-look pass from dummy half to Copley who was onto it.

After the buzzer icing on the cake Round 23 vs. Panthers - After a high-scoring first half, the Broncos went into over-drive in the second to give the fans something to cheer about. With little time remaining, Lockyer wound the clock back to his Round 12 2008 heroics when he put in a chip kick to the wing. In an incredible feat of athleticism, Taylor picked the ball up one handed without breaking a stride and the Broncos proceeded to go 70 odd metres to score a spectacular try.

Can't stop the coal train Round 24 vs. St George - The Broncos announced themselves for the 2009 finals with a rousing win over the competition leaders away from home. One of the stars that night was Taylor who was simply unstoppable in the centres.

Hip Hip Hooray Jharal Yow Yeh Round 25 vs. North Queensland - This was one of those games where it felt like everything was going the Cowboys way and the Broncos had to fight their way into it. With the game in the balance, JT puts in a fairly awkward kick towards the sideline and Jharal Yow Yeh puts on a play that nobody could have expected from a rookie. The way he hit that ball was beautiful and it was at that point it looked like the season was well and truly alive.

Andrew McCullough's Try vs. Gold Coast Titans Finals Week 1 2009 - In one of the highest scoring finals of all-time, the Broncos showed their hand pretty early on with this nice team try. All the Broncos best players combined to put Macca away in this guilty pleasure of a final.

Lagi Setu's Try vs. St George Illawarra Dragons Finals Week 2 2009 - Smart thinking by Wallace saw Darius Boyd out of position and allowed Lagi to score a try that all but signalled the victory. Lagi's hand gesture summed it up beautifully.

Karmichael Who Round 1, 2010 - I really didn't like the idea of Josh Hoffman being the fullback at the Broncos. After watching him in 2009, it just seemed like a definite downgrade. The idea of Corey Norman being played there actually excited me because he clearly had the talent but was just too raw to be a five-eighth. Never the less, Norman had a debut to remember making a try-saving tackle which halted all the Cowboys momentum.

Denan Kemp Down The Sideline Round 1, 2010 - This was so good to see again. After it appeared the Broncos had blown a substantial lead, with minutes remaining, the Broncos shift it wide and Kemp blitz everyone with a trademark try. 2010 seemed like it was going to be a disaster for the Broncos, but this was a nice reprieve.

Israel Folau Try Round 2, 2010 vs. Canberra - I just remember how well orchestrated this was between Lockyer and Norman, despite Brisbane going down, it seemed like the Broncos attack was at least going to ask some serious questions.

Israel Folau Try Round 9 2010 vs. Melbourne - One of the most surprising wins I've seen. Brisbane were really struggling around this time, while Melbourne had a team well over the salary cap. Despite this and a crippling injury toll, the Broncos turned in one of their best performances that made the season far more enjoyable than it had been. Izzy in this instance produced one of his best individual efforts with a long range try where he completely bamboozled the Storm defence.

I think that's five? I don't know how to count.

Brings back memories of the first montage I ever put together.. A montage I would rather forget existed.

Someone else knocked it off and put their own title on it, but the rest was my work.

I was going through a bit of a techno phase during that time... It's rubbish lol.

This was you?? I love it! Used to play this almost every day back in high school

What year was it where Hunt was at fullback and defused a grubber like a microsecond before he would have collided with a charging opposition player? That was one of the gutsiest things I've seen, I wish there was a replay.

What year was it where Hunt was at fullback and defused a grubber like a microsecond before he would have collided with a charging opposition player? That was one of the gutsiest things I've seen, I wish there was a replay.

Round 26 2008 vs. Newcastle Knights

At least I think that's the moment you're referring to, Hunt was a mad man on the field so I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled off something similar another time.

Freaky would know, but I'm pretty sure the game was in the balance before he took the kick and forced a sin-bin.

From memory, wasn't this the game where they tried to get the crowd to set a Guinness World record? I think it was this and the Neil Armstrong game against the Warriors in 09 where they tried out some sort of gimmick.

At least I think that's the moment you're referring to, Hunt was a mad man on the field so I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled off something similar another time.

Freaky would know, but I'm pretty sure the game was in the balance before he took the kick and forced a sin-bin.

From memory, wasn't this the game where they tried to get the crowd to set a Guinness World record? I think it was this and the Neil Armstrong game against the Warriors in 09 where they tried out some sort of gimmick.
I don't remember anything else about the game other than that moment. He was running towards it at pace and I think he did a pirouette to avoid getting killed.

Israel Folau Try Round 9 2010 vs. Melbourne - One of the most surprising wins I've seen. Brisbane were really struggling around this time, while Melbourne had a team well over the salary cap. Despite this and a crippling injury toll, the Broncos turned in one of their best performances that made the season far more enjoyable than it had been. Izzy in this instance produced one of his best individual efforts with a long range try where he completely bamboozled the Storm defence.

Is this the game where Izzy's Origin spot was being questioned? Or he'd been left out?

Far out @Big Pete, thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Awesome post.

Yeah, that's the one.

20 minutes left in the game and it was 10-2, Mullen puts in a chip kick and Naiqama was about to boot it forward when Hunt just comes flying in to get the ball. Simpson ends up tackling him and gets sin-binned for holding on too long.

It was a very risky move by Hunt. Not only could he have gotten hurt but if Naiqama gets a boot to the ball, Knights score. Luckily Hunt gets to the ball first and we end up scoring in the next set when Hannant crashed over under the posts.

That was the breaking point for the Knights because we ended up scoring another 2 tries after that to blow out the score a bit.

I don't think the scoreline was an accurate reflection of the game. It was an arm wrestle for 60 minutes until that point.

Yeah, that's the one.

20 minutes left in the game and it was 10-2, Mullen puts in a chip kick and Naiqama was about to boot it forward when Hunt just comes flying in to get the ball. Simpson ends up tackling him and gets sin-binned for holding on too long.

It was a very risky move by Hunt. Not only could he have gotten hurt but if Naiqama gets a boot to the ball, Knights score. Luckily Hunt gets to the ball first and we end up scoring in the next set when Hannant crashed over under the posts.

That was the breaking point for the Knights because we ended up scoring another 2 tries after that to blow out the score a bit.

I don't think the scoreline was an accurate reflection of the game. It was an arm wrestle for 60 minutes until that point.

Do you have a replay of that moment somewhere?

Karmichael Hunt was so exceptionally good. We kind of forget it because at the time we were used to having a Lockyer or Hodges who could just dominate games, and Webcke and Carroll and Thorn as muscle, and Hunt was like the cherry on top. But now, with the Broncos dropping back to earth over the last 10 years, I'm sure Hunt would be an absolute elite, better in every way than Tedesco (who many currently rate as the benchmark), that's for sure.

I really liked Hunt, but I don't think he was better than Tedesco in every way. I'd say Hunt was comfortably better at ball playing and he had a neat short kicking game too, but Tedesco has a vastly superior running game.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.