Best ingame moments of the past 10 (or so) years

I really liked Hunt, but I don't think he was better than Tedesco in every way. I'd say Hunt was comfortably better at ball playing and he had a neat short kicking game too, but Tedesco has a vastly superior running game.

When it comes to running game, I would say Tedesco has him beat in that department.

But everything else, I think Hunt trumps him.

He also did the same thing in the Round 18 game against the Bulldogs. He was crazy.

What a legend. He started protecting his body more in 2009, but then his ball playing got even better.

How did the Broncs not make more GFs with that mid-2000s side?

Bennett puts it down as not having a good enough halfback.

He tried to sign Brett Kimmorley but it didn't end up happening. Bennett claims not being able to sign him cost them 2-3 premierships.

Plus, Storm started cheating, so there's that.

we were fucked over by the refs in a prelim too vs Roosters I think.

He also did the same thing in the Round 18 game against the Bulldogs. He was crazy.

That step, step at 2:37 was so elite.

**** his passing game was better than I remembered as well. I miss the KHunt.

Lack of halves until 2006. Melbourne cheating. Injuries in 2007. Melbourne cheating. Losing Civo afterwards. Melbourne cheating.

Lack of halves until 2006. Melbourne cheating. Injuries in 2007. Melbourne cheating. Losing Civo afterwards. Melbourne cheating.

Sims drops a ball in 2008. Melbourne cheats by not giving the ball back in the spirit of fairness, too!!

Brisbane were never in line to win the 2004 premiership, but it set them up for future success. The transition of Lockyer from fullback to five-eighth made the Broncos more potent and the shock selection of Karmichael Hunt proved a master stroke. The emergence of talent like David Stagg, Brett Seymour, Sam Thaiday, Gary Tupou and Tom Learoyd also bode well for the future.

I've never seen a team bomb out as badly as the Broncos did in 2005. An argument could be made that 2003 was just as bad, but that team didn't have the class or skill of the 2005 counterpart. The Broncos were dominating the 2005 competition and were well on their way to a minor premiership when they just lost touch with the competition. They had a couple of tight losses where they weren't at their best, then injuries started piling up and before you know it they were on a massive losing streak.

I'll never experience a season as sweet as 2006, ever. It's a fact I've come to accept over the past few years and no matter what the club continues to do I'll always have those memories.

2007 was a wake-up call. As incredible as the premiership victory was, there were still issues with the team and they weren't going away. Behind the scenes the club was going through a make-over and that uncertainty manifested itself onto the field. In a lot of ways, this year was a disaster for the club and I don't think the Broncos have ever been the same since.

I remember the sack Bennett chorus was getting very loud by the time we bombed out of the 2005 comp - hell, I was part of it. It felt like it was all happening again too in 2006, but they showed signs of life in that game against Melbourne, and the rest is history.

2007 could have been a very different year if Locky didn't go down against the Cowboys. He had taken his game to another level on our run to the 2006 premiership and he was looking in similar touch that night again, but ACL injuries can be cruel and it felt like it took him another couple of years to regain his confidence to run the ball the way he used to.

I remember the sack Bennett chorus was getting very loud by the time we bombed out of the 2005 comp - hell, I was part of it. It felt like it was all happening again too in 2006, but they showed signs of life in that game against Melbourne, and the rest is history.

2007 could have been a very different year if Locky didn't go down against the Cowboys. He had taken his game to another level on our run to the 2006 premiership and he was looking in similar touch that night again, but ACL injuries can be cruel and it felt like it took him another couple of years to regain his confidence to run the ball the way he used to.

As good as Lockyer was at the twilight of his career, that knee reconstruction spelled the end of him being a dominant force in the competition. The knee reconstruction hindered his game and took some of the edge out of the Broncos. The other big disaster that season was losing Petero Civoniceiva. Bulla was right up there with Steve Price and Roy Asotasi as one of the best front row forwards in the game and it's really taken them until now to find anybody of his calibre.

I find 2007 to be a strange year in general, especially now since Melbourne have had the premiership scrubbed from the record. So many teams struggled for consistensy through out the year and you had teams like the Cowboys wind up in 3rd place with a negative differential which is pretty extradinary.

Brisbane tried an experiment early on in the season and it backfired. I didn't actually mind the idea of having a spine of Hodges, Lockyer, K. Hunt and Berrigan but the two early losses prevented the Broncos for really settling on it and they went back to basics. That reset actually had a negative effect on the team, because they became predictible and the defence were able to frustrate them out of games. Every now and then they'd have too much class but they just couldn't find a rhythm.

The season turned around for them when their star players came back from representative football. When Queensland pulled off a typical come from behind victory in Game I, you could see it really brought the likes of Karmichael Hunt, Justin Hodges, Darren Lockyer etc. to their best and their mid-season form was incredibly scintellating.

Then they had the worst injury run in club history and they went from being a Top 4 side to barely making the 8. I'd like to think the players who filled in left it all on the field against Canberra and once Newcastle pulled off that amazing win against the Tigers they called it a season. The players who filled in played with tremendous character and it's a shame the Broncos weren't able to emulate that attitude early on in the season.

It's a shame because I had extremely high expectactions going into that season. The same team minus Webcke and C. McGuire with Greg Eastwood, Michael Ennis, Ben Hannant, Steve Michaels, Dave Taylor etc. in line for more opportunities. I didn't necessarily think they'd go back to back, especially not without a proper 7, but I thought they would have been pretty dominant.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.