NEWS Brisbane Broncos confirm they are going after Rabbitoh Cody Walker

Unbreakable

International Rep
27.4° S, 153.0° E
  • Staff
Brisbane Broncos confirm they are going after Rabbitoh Cody Walker

Peter Badel, Exclusive, The Courier-Mail
4 minutes ago

Brisbane have South Sydney sensation Cody Walker on their radar as the Broncos search for the playmaking formula to break the club’s 13-year premiership drought.

The Sunday Mail can reveal the Broncos have expressed interest in Walker, the Rabbitohs five-eighth maestro who will look to continue his rampaging form against the Cowboys in Sunday’s final Magic Round clash at Suncorp Stadium.

The Broncos are hoping Suncorp will be Walker’s home on a permanent basis, with the club formulating plans to secure the playmaker they almost poached from Souths in 2016.

The Broncos are one of seven clubs to have contacted Walker’s management. The NSW Origin hopeful is contracted to Souths until the end of 2020, meaning he can begin formal discussions with rival clubs from November 1 this year.

Brisbane secured the services of hooker James Segeyaro on a cut-price deal on Friday, but the Broncos are looking at a long-term strategy to win titles and Walker has been identified as a key target.

The Broncos made preliminary inquiries a fortnight ago, before Walker’s two-try haul which helped sink Brisbane 38-6 at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium last Friday week.

While Walker is happy at Redfern, the 29-year-old is approaching the most important contract of his career and wants to explore all options before any decision to ink a fresh extension at South Sydney.

Walker’s agent Matt Rose yesterday confirmed a raft of NRL clubs are lining up to poach the in-form pivot.

“To get so many inquiries shows the level Cody has reached as a player and his growing stature in the game,” Rose said.

“I’ve had a stack of clubs call me to express their interest in Cody and gauge what his intentions are.

“The clubs are asking if Cody plans to be at Souths long-term and their desire to have talks.

“There’s nothing I can do right now so we will wait until November to have formal talks.

“The challenge for Cody is to maintain his form. He is determined to have a huge year for Souths and he wants to win a premiership – that is his focus right now.

Source: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/brisbane-broncos-confirm-they-are-going-after-rabbitoh-cody-walker/news-story/8bd2877d6bb0787cad4ef57277664ce7?nk=af88ac5f157183596886ea58bb0d1630-1557563612

Tom

State of Origin Rep
We need outside backs, after Bird's injury. Our depth is pretty average now.

theshed

NRL Player
Interesting. I wonder who he is being looked at to replace. You would have to say he’s coming to either play fullback or 5/8th, and that Milford won’t be his halfback. So Milf going to fullback? Maybe Milf isn’t in seibolds 5 year plan.

Footy Fanatic

NYC Player
Only reason that makes sense that we go after Walker, is that we are keen to move on from Milford after his contract.

Unbreakable

International Rep
27.4° S, 153.0° E
  • Staff
1. Milford
6. Walker
7. Dearden

looks pretty good to me
Calker has a better running game than Milford these days, he'd be better suited to Fullback. Would be nice to have his playmaking and short kicking at Fullback to take some pressure off the halves as well! Sounds perfect to me. Make it happen.

Foordy

International Rep
Calker has a better running game than Milford these days, he'd be better suited to Fullback. Would be nice to have his playmaking and short kicking at Fullback to take some pressure off the halves as well! Sounds perfect to me. Make it happen.
i went Milf at fullback due to him being several years younger...

I also don't think it would take Milford too long to get his running game back should he move to fullback. and the years spent in the halves will add another dimension to his game at the back

NSW stables

BRL Player
Not going to happen. Souths wont let him go, he is too important to there attack and i dont think he would leave a succesful team. However, if we can make souths increase the amount they have to pay to retain him and reduce their cap available, thats ok with me.

Foordy

International Rep
Another nothing article from Badel. How did Brisbane “officially confirm”?
probably by Cody Walkers manager having a chat with Badel, likely to scare Souths in to paying more ...

of all the clubs that are supposedly interested in, we are the only ones to get a mention.

oh and :rofl at the clickbait headline

Dazza 92

NYC Player
29 years old....he is at his peak now....we don't want another Boyd situation where a 30+ year old ties up our salary cap for 3-4 years...id be more interested in sourcing quality backline members who are more appropriate in age to our forward pack personally...

McHunt

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast
Speaking of shite: "doesn't rule out"

BUY GEORGE: Burgess doesn’t rule out Broncos
Nick Walshaw, The Daily Telegraph
May 10, 2019 9:00am

George Burgess is open to reuniting with old coach Anthony Seibold at the Brisbane Broncos in 2020, with the English international declaring “my best football is still ahead of me”. Unsigned with South Sydney beyond this year, Burgess is headed for the open market with interest from both NRL and English Super League clubs. Arriving into Brisbane for Magic Round on Friday afternoon, the Rabbitohs prop said he was ready to put himself “into the shop window” in coming weeks.

George Burgess says his best footy is ahead of him. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

And as for whispers suggesting the twin is a chance of following Seibold, who switched from Redfern to Red Hill over summer?
“I’m open to looking at anything,” Burgess said. “Right now, I’m still only 27. I’ve got a lot of good football left in me. Hopefully my best years.
“But I don’t want to drive myself too mad thinking about it. I just want to try and play some good footy and see where it goes.”

Burgess is aware his career likely rests away from Redfern. Picture: Brett Costello

And as for a return to the UK Super League, where Hull is said to be among a handful of interested clubs?
“It all depends on what the deal would be,” the Test forward said of a return home. “I’d have to see if it’s right for the family.
“I’ve got a wife and three young kids now. I’d have to look at the options and weigh everything up. It wouldn’t be off the table, for sure.”
So you’re settled in Sydney? “I am settled, yeah,” he said. “I’ve got the house, kids, dogs, I’ve been here over eight years now. All my adult life has been in Sydney so I’m definitely settled here. “At this point in time I’m just trying to play some good footy. “I know my form has been a bit off the past few weeks but I missed the start of the year with suspension so I’m still playing catch up a little bit. But I’m getting there. “Hopefully I can help string some good wins together. If I keep working hard, my performances on field will come.”
Burgess admitted he still held faint hope of an 11th-hour offer from Souths.

“It’s not off the table,” he insisted of renewing at the club where brothers Sam and Tom are signed until 2023. “Obviously if you start bursting down the door with your performances, the club might try and keep you. “But I don’t know what’s the state of the salary cap. That’s all out of my hands. “Plus you can’t think too much about it otherwise if you get caught up in things, it can take away from your performance.
“You have to try and not listen to the outside noise. “There’s a lot of that when coaches and players come off contract. So you’ve just got to block it out the best you can.”

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Legend01

Highlights