NEWS Brisbane Broncos confirm they are going after Rabbitoh Cody Walker

29 years old....he is at his peak now....we don't want another Boyd situation where a 30+ year old ties up our salary cap for 3-4 years...id be more interested in sourcing quality backline members who are more appropriate in age to our forward pack personally...

Speaking of shite: "doesn't rule out"

BUY GEORGE: Burgess doesn’t rule out Broncos
Nick Walshaw, The Daily Telegraph
May 10, 2019 9:00am

George Burgess is open to reuniting with old coach Anthony Seibold at the Brisbane Broncos in 2020, with the English international declaring “my best football is still ahead of me”. Unsigned with South Sydney beyond this year, Burgess is headed for the open market with interest from both NRL and English Super League clubs. Arriving into Brisbane for Magic Round on Friday afternoon, the Rabbitohs prop said he was ready to put himself “into the shop window” in coming weeks.

9a40c92ccb09716e14b1ba511075ac4a

George Burgess says his best footy is ahead of him. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

And as for whispers suggesting the twin is a chance of following Seibold, who switched from Redfern to Red Hill over summer?
“I’m open to looking at anything,” Burgess said. “Right now, I’m still only 27. I’ve got a lot of good football left in me. Hopefully my best years.
“But I don’t want to drive myself too mad thinking about it. I just want to try and play some good footy and see where it goes.”

802314af2ce5d39af39e81be32bdf279

Burgess is aware his career likely rests away from Redfern. Picture: Brett Costello

And as for a return to the UK Super League, where Hull is said to be among a handful of interested clubs?
“It all depends on what the deal would be,” the Test forward said of a return home. “I’d have to see if it’s right for the family.
“I’ve got a wife and three young kids now. I’d have to look at the options and weigh everything up. It wouldn’t be off the table, for sure.”
So you’re settled in Sydney? “I am settled, yeah,” he said. “I’ve got the house, kids, dogs, I’ve been here over eight years now. All my adult life has been in Sydney so I’m definitely settled here. “At this point in time I’m just trying to play some good footy. “I know my form has been a bit off the past few weeks but I missed the start of the year with suspension so I’m still playing catch up a little bit. But I’m getting there. “Hopefully I can help string some good wins together. If I keep working hard, my performances on field will come.”
Burgess admitted he still held faint hope of an 11th-hour offer from Souths.

“It’s not off the table,” he insisted of renewing at the club where brothers Sam and Tom are signed until 2023. “Obviously if you start bursting down the door with your performances, the club might try and keep you. “But I don’t know what’s the state of the salary cap. That’s all out of my hands. “Plus you can’t think too much about it otherwise if you get caught up in things, it can take away from your performance.
“You have to try and not listen to the outside noise. “There’s a lot of that when coaches and players come off contract. So you’ve just got to block it out the best you can.”

Last edited:
He'd be great for two years if we can get Milford back to FB.

No to Gurgess. He would have been good this year for experience, but we won't need him assuming we lock in Lodge.

Another nothing article from Badel. How did Brisbane “officially confirm”?
Exactly was only thinking did I miss the quote from a Broncos rep confirming interest??

Hell the agent didn't even mention that Broncos were one of the seven clubs

No to Walker and Gburgess.
Old and unneeded.
We are on the right track we just need to supplement in the right possie with Boyds cash

Last edited:
Totally agree. No to Walker because he'll become one and forwards we've got covered. I do think Milfords days are numbered though and we'll need a 5/8 later on but not an overpriced 'superstar'
No to Walker and Gburgess.
Old and unneeded.
We are on the right track we just need to supplement in the right possie with Boyds cash

G Burgess as a 27 year old prop amongst our young core of bigs..??...Mmmm...interesting on paper....if you gave me a scenario that saw Lodge leave for Sydney and Burgess replaced him id say thats the type of forward add which could only help our young crop...

Hypothetically off course...

If we go for a fullback, I'd rather move Milf there, or sign PonGUN when he's available.

Think you missed my point. He’s not a local and came from the Storm too.

So your locals only call..... doesn’t matter.

I missed the bit where you had a point. He's from Ipswich QLD, not Ipswich Suffolk.
HTH

Last edited:
Haha, I was looking at Turpin's face and haircut last night and I was thinking - this guy has got to be from Ipswich.

Ipswich has certainly been a rich source of local talent for the Broncos. Even the current coach spent a year there.

Kind of like how the Johns bros are from Cessnock and played for Newcastle. Does that count as Newcastle producing junior talent?

We don’t have the monopoly on juniors anymore, the semantics are getting old

Read it again mate, he claimed he wanted Brisbane talent only at the Broncos, I pointed out his new favourite player wasn’t from Brisbane.

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Scorchie
  • mitch222
  • porouian
  • theshed
  • Hoof Hearted
  • broncsgoat
  • broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Midean
  • Skathen
  • LittleDavey
  • Jedhead
  • jd87
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • Battler
  • Redux
  • Organix
... and 53 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.