NEWS Broncos centre James Roberts on a crash course with coach Seibold

Foordy

International Rep
  • Staff
Broncos centre James Roberts on a crash course with coach Seibold

Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
8/5/2019

James Roberts is on a collision course with Broncos coach Anthony Seibold with the strike centre “ropeable” at his axing for tomorrow night’s Magic Round clash against Manly.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Roberts is so furious at his treatment by Seibold it could represent the final straw for his career at the Broncos after weeks of speculation ‘The Jet’ is ready to take off from Red Hill.

Roberts’ freefall comes as former Brisbane star Chris Walker suggested the incumbent NSW Origin centre reunite with his trusted mentor, Wayne Bennett, at South Sydney in a bid to revive his spluttering career.

Brisbane’s No.1 centre under Bennett for three years, Roberts has fallen out of favour with Seibold to the extent that he was not named in the Broncos’ 21-man squad for the Sea Eagles showdown at Suncorp Stadium.

Roberts trained at Red Hill yesterday wearing a blue vest running with the reserves in an opposed session against the NRL team.

With no Intrust Super Cup games this weekend due to the Residents clash, Roberts has nowhere to play.

It is understood Roberts’ demotion was designed to spark him into action, but it has done the opposite.

Known as a complex and sometimes fragile character who took strength from the mentoring of Bennett, Roberts does not have the same connection with Seibold and it could ultimately convince him to seek a release.

Roberts is contracted to the Broncos until the end of 2021, but Walker believes Bennett holds the key to extracting the best of the Origin speed machine.

“Looking at his body language, James seems unhappy and that’s where Wayne Bennett is the master,” Walker said.

“Wayne did so much for me in my career, he is really in touch with his players and Jimmy blossomed under Wayne.

“Jimmy should consider a change because under Seibold the Broncos aren’t using him in the way they should.

“He needs to get the ball more regularly. If I was an inside back, I’d be feeding Roberts the ball every set.

“He is going to make more metres taking on an opposition centre than what a forward would making a simple hit-up.

“The Broncos need to get Jimmy involved.”

The problem for Roberts is there’s no guarantee he would receive a lifeline from Souths. While Bennett is a fan, other powerbrokers at the Rabbitohs are not convinced Roberts would add value to the club.

Broncos skipper Darius Boyd hopes Roberts is not lost to the club.

“James’ story is well documented, he has had a tough upbringing and Wayne and ‘Whitey’ (Broncos CEO) have done a lot to help him,” Boyd said.

“He has ties with Wayne but Brisbane is good for him and the club has been good for him and I’d like to see him repay that favour.

“But I understand it’s a business, so he has to look after his family and what he thinks is best.”

Former Broncos skipper Gorden Tallis urged Seibold not to give up on Roberts.

“James has been injured but he has the one thing you can’t coach and that’s speed,” he said.

“I don’t believe they use him the right way, you only have to watch the Roosters and the early ball they give to Latrell Mitchell.

“I remember him as a 20-year-old kid at Souths and James Roberts can do things that only he can do.”

Source: Courier Mail

Tom

State of Origin Rep
I hate this attitude. Don't release him to Souths. Only let him go if it's back to the club he came from, then maybe he'll see how lucky he was. How is Badel's record? Is this just a journo making stuff up? Anyway I said it a few weeks back but it's a sad state of affairs where underperforming players are having a fucking sook because they have been dropped. And they wonder why they get called generation snowflake.

Slippin Jimmy

NYC Player
“Jimmy should consider a change because under Seibold the Broncos aren’t using him in the way they should.

“He needs to get the ball more regularly. If I was an inside back, I’d be feeding Roberts the ball every set.
Another expert who sounds like they've barely watched a game of ours in the last three years.

Roberts got hardly any ball under Bennett either.

Foordy

International Rep
  • Staff
Ok James ... of you want to sulk because you were dropped for poor form, then fine ... go and find a club willing to take a chance on you (given your off field record), get them to pick up the full tab on your contract and don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

until that time, get used to playing ISC

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane

They weren't using him the way they should under Bennett either.

This guy needs to stop spending so much time on Twitter speaking shit and actually watch the games.

Unbreakable

International Rep
27.4° S, 153.0° E
The Broncos don't need to get Roberts more involved at all.

Look at Latrell, he had 7 runs on the weekend and had 3 tries & 2 try assists, Roberts had 11 runs on the weekend for literally nothing. Roberts needs to do more with the touches he does get, and also needs to go looking for more work, like Oates does.

We have these niche plays that have Oates ending up on the right side of the field running off Milford short balls, we allow Bird the freedom to run literally whenever and wherever he wants, sometimes ending up on the opposite side of the field for a couple of plays. Are you telling me that Jimmy doesn't have this option available to him? The only reason he's stuck on the right edge and "not getting enough ball" is because he's the laziest fast person I know.

BroncsFan

NRL Player
So why did Badel quote ropeable??

He didn't offer a source... didn't even mention a Broncos insider. Who the fuck said he was ropeable Peter?!?!

I wonder if it was along the lines of
PB to courier fail central: "anyone know how Roberts feels about getting dropped??"
"He's probably pretty fucking pissed off"
"Can you be less explicit I need to quote it, no one at the Broncos talks to me anymore"
"He's fucking ropeable mate"
"Perfect... thought he might be"
Editor:"run it.. Petey B give me 600 words!!"

Last edited:

Battler

NRL Captain
North Brisbane
Boyd sounds like Bennett did last year when he downplays the team's and individual's performance/s. Never talks about the team's performance in a meaningful sense, just downplays it as basically 'just a game', that there are more important things than footy, looking after yourself with contracts, and personal development. That's true in sense, but guess what? Hundreds of thousands/ millions of fans dedicate time and money to watch you play with the hope that the team will succeed, so for you there really isn't anything more important than your and your team's performance as it's your fucking job. Just like for a solicitor there's nothing more important than their client.

Last edited:

AndyB

NYC Player
So why did Badel quote ropeable??

He didn't offer a source... didn't even mention a Broncos insider. Who the fuck said he was ropeable Peter?!?!

I wonder if it was along the lines of
PB to courier fail central: "anyone know how Roberts feels about getting dropped??"
"He's probably pretty fucking pissed off"
"Can you be less explicit I need to quote it, no one at the Broncos talks to me anymore"
"He's fucking ropeable mate"
"Perfect... thought he might be"
Editor:"run it.. Petey B give me 600 words!!"
This. Wouldn't believe this **** coming out of Badel's mouth.

Renegade

NRL Captain
unfortunately with Roberts, he's just never developed outside of being blisteringly quick. it's not like he has a great fend or step or can hit a great hole, if he doesnt have space to run around his opposite number he's next to useless.

that's on him, not on the team.

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
They weren't using him the way they should under Bennett either.

This guy needs to stop spending so much time on Twitter speaking shit and actually watch the games.
Good luck using someone that doesn’t want to do the work

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
He needs to get himself injury free before he does anything else. This Achilles issue has been going on for way too long. Doesn't matter if he leaves or not, he will never be as good as he can be playing with that injury.

heartly87

QCup Player
I think the whole Achilles issue is cover for his pathetic attitude. Its a crutch he can use to explain his lack of effort in defence. The guy is close to the fastest in the game but when have you seen him chase anyone down after a break. He jogs everytime. He has weak will and it shows in every aspect of his life.

I thought him falling off the wagon was just an error in judgement but now i see it for it is. A guy who can't stand any criticism. A guy who would need Wayne like he needs the bottle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Legend01

Highlights