NEWS Broncos centre James Roberts on a crash course with coach Seibold

Ok thanks for that.

He comes accross as a bit aloof from the main squad ...marching to the beat of his own drum.... just my opinion.

Dont really know a great deal about him tbh.

I dont think its the case honestly. I cant even see any evidence where he has shown he has taken shortcuts in his rehab. A bit like Boyd in someways last year, they dont want to lose him from the side, but there will come a time he needs to take a break and let it heal or get surgery.
A professional doesn’t get blind drunk while nursing an achilles injury hours after a game. Some players do everything to get back from injury, others don’t.

A professional doesn’t get blind drunk while nursing an achilles injury hours after a game. Some players do everything to get back from injury, others don’t.

At least get your facts right, or at least dont be so vague with what you mean by "hours" It wasnt hours after we played the Dragons at all, it was the day after.

Secondly, how many times has he done this since he has been at the Broncos? You are making it out like he is constantly doing it, which isnt the case at all. He has an addiction to alcohol, and sometimes he will slip up. He has done really well to turn himself and his life around. He just has to make sure his slip ups are the exception, not the rule. And maybe you should have a look at the bloke. There isnt an ounce of fat on him. If he was lax with his fitness he wouldnt be in the shape he is in.

Feel free to shoot me down in flames if you have any more evidence of him out on the beer being unprofessional since he has been at the Broncos.

At least get your facts right, or at least dont be so vague with what you mean by "hours" It wasnt hours after we played the Dragons at all, it was the day after.

Secondly, how many times has he done this since he has been at the Broncos? You are making it out like he is constantly doing it, which isnt the case at all. He has an addiction to alcohol, and sometimes he will slip up. He has done really well to turn himself and his life around. He just has to make sure his slip ups are the exception, not the rule. And maybe you should have a look at the bloke. There isnt an ounce of fat on him. If he was lax with his fitness he wouldnt be in the shape he is in.

Feel free to shoot me down in flames if you have any more evidence of him out on the beer being unprofessional since he has been at the Broncos.
He shouldn’t have been drinking at all. Maybe I would have more sympathy for his problems if he showed some gratitude for the patience the club has showed him, instead of shopping himself around to other clubs. I don’t think he fits in at the club anymore, if he ever did, and if he wants to go back to Benny for a cuddle good luck to him. I genuinely hope it all clicks for him before his career is over & all he’s left with is regrets.

Last edited:
The way the coach has gone about measuring productivity has obviously put the red dot on Jimmy. For all the shit Seibold cops about his stats and flowcharts he's left the players that are underperforming without excuses because the data is black and white. Wayne may have let Roberts get away with doing **** all as long as he runs in a 90 meter try every 4 weeks but Seibold won't. He's performance managing Jimmy either out of the side or into form. There is nowhere to hide now for any player that just wants to coast but their effort and improvements will also be measurable. It's a great system. I hope that James can get with the program instead of making excuses. But either way we'll have a player in that position that deserves to be there.

I dont think its the case honestly. I cant even see any evidence where he has shown he has taken shortcuts in his rehab. A bit like Boyd in someways last year, they dont want to lose him from the side, but there will come a time he needs to take a break and let it heal or get surgery.

That’s the thing about him. You can see in his conditioning he isn’t lazy, so the idea he is ‘lazy’ with his rehab seems a bit at odds with that.

His on-field efforts are definitely lazy though. It’s not a lack of conditioning or injury, IMHO. It’s purely attitude. If dropping him doesn’t make him wake up to himself, with all the chances he has had, I don’t think there is anything we can do to fix it.

But we sure as hell don’t have to pay for it...

He shouldn’t have been drinking at all. Maybe I would have more sympathy for his problems if he showed some gratitude for the patience the club has showed him, instead of shopping himself around to other clubs. I don’t think he fits in at the club anymore, if he ever did, and if he wants to go back to Benny for a cuddle good luck to him. I genuinely hope it all clicks for him before his career is over & all he’s left with is regrets.

How hasn't he shown gratitude? You surely can't mean one slip up where he actually didn't cause any trouble. If he has a clash with Seibold, that's not him not being grateful for what's been done for him, and that's got nothing to do with him having a drink. That's a football thing.

Do you know this for sure?

Can't be 100% sure as I don't know him, but I haven't ever heard anything from anyone I know. I'm fairly sure if he was on the grog a lot it would come out.

Roberts probably end up at the knights

Boyd sounds like Bennett did last year when he downplays the team's and individual's performance/s. Never talks about the team's performance in a meaningful sense, just downplays it as basically 'just a game', that there are more important things than footy, looking after yourself with contracts, and personal development. That's true in sense, but guess what? Hundreds of thousands/ millions of fans dedicate time and money to watch you play with the hope that the team will succeed, so for you there really isn't anything more important than your and your team's performance as it's your fucking job. Just like for a solicitor there's nothing more important than their client.
I was thinking along these lines the other day.

The “it’s just a game” line is just so wrong when it comes from a professional sportspersons mouth.

It is ‘just a game’ to the plumber who plays touch on the weekend, the nurse who plays netball on Wednesday night or the physio who plays AFL on Sunday.

It is not ‘just a game’ when that is your one and only job. It IS YOUR JOB, you do it full time and you get paid very handsomely to do it.

In fact, you get paid more than most executives who’ve worked decades to get to where they are or medical doctors who have to train for 10 years just to become a GP and then keep training for their entire career to maintain it.

Imagine if a surgeon performed as badly as some of the Broncos are right now and wheeled out the following:

“Yeah, I’m not particularly concerned with my form, indeed I think it’s quite good. I’ve actually never felt better. I mean, it was only a couple of people who died on my operating table this week, so all in all, I’d say that’s a successful week.”

Might be time for some of these sooks to put the big-boy pants on and appreciate just how lucky they are and how easy they’ve got it.

Last edited:
In my mind. Just keep him dropped. We have Staggs who will put in the effort anyway. Why release him early if we have no one to sign anyway for the money we'd get back. **** that noise. If we release him, it'll be his mission to **** us up like he has done to the Titans each game we've played them - no thanks.
He can just live out the contract he's signed thank you very much. But do it from the pub, not the field

He has produced a lot of match winning efforts. He is a huge clutch player.

We would have lost a lot more games over the past few years without him.
Doesn't matter when we aren't winning any right now. Past is the past. Clearly didn't win us a final so why be loyal to a highlights reel

With Bird gone, probably ok he’s staying [emoji24]

This.

Structure. This is why teams like the Rabbitohs, Roosters and Storm don't really lose anything when they have injuries outside of their spine, because everyone knows the structure and others just plug in there. The lack of it is the reason we look like a busted arse once we get one or two injuries. People marvel at how those teams can make park footy players look like world beaters, structure.
The lack of decent outside defence and poor discipline is the reason we are so diabolical this season. It has nothing to do with structure unless you mean the effort to put a solid line in defence and execute it correctly advancing on the try line. That is our main problem.
Of course, we have problems scoring in the opponents 20, but as we have been rarely gaining repeat sets and over-using the bomb at the expense of good kicks into space in our opponents half, possession is both lop-sided to our opponent's advantage and so is field position.
Last night, we finally got possession in our favour and put Manly to the sword. It wasn't pretty but it was fairly indicative of our failures and the road to success.
How Roberts fits into all this is I suspect purely conjecture as I can't see him playing another game for us. He hasn't been great this season but is a long way from alone in this. I think it's in everyone's interests that he moves on to a team that can make better use of his talents (contrary to popular opinion on this subject, he still has plenty of it) and harness it. At this moment he is a round peg in a square hole and Staggs is superior to filling Siebold's tactics.

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.