McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Damien Cook in demand with four clubs chasing star hooker’s signature

Dean Ritchie, The Daily TelegraphNovember 19, 2018 8:26am
Subscriber only

Brisbane are believed to have made a bold late play to sign South Sydney hooker Damien Cook for the 2020 season.
Cook’s manager Mario Tartak told The Daily Telegraph that Cook is now considering lucrative offers from four clubs, including Souths.
Well-placed sources believe Cook could be persuaded to follow coach Anthony Seibold to Brisbane in 2020 when his Rabbitohs deal expires.
73c92ba03d6ab2e46fc177c3075dc719

Damien Cook is in-demand.
MORE NRL NEWS
KNIGHTS PROMOTE PONGA TO PLAYMAKER
ALL OR NOTHING FOR OFF-CONTRACT EELS

Cook holds Seibold in high regard after the rookie NRL coach guided the 27-year-old from irregular first-grade starter to representative star in their first season together.
He enjoyed a breakout year under Seibold, holding off the challenge of Robbie Farah for the hooking spot before earning NSW State of Origin and Australian honours.
The Daily Telegraph understands Souths remain firm favourites to re-sign Cook to a long-term deal of up to four years.
Some sources even suggested the deal was close to being finalised.
Rival clubs, though, won’t go away, given Cook is free to sign a contract for the 2020 season and beyond.
a421c1af12943628c0f213e9efee9e98

Coach Anthony Seibold will move from the Rabbitohs to the Broncos.
Tartak said two of three rival clubs chasing Cook were based in Sydney, but would not confirm the Broncos as the other potential suitors.
“There has been a club that has come in late,” Tartak said. “I would be reluctant (to name the club) because we basically agreed not to say anything.
“We’re down to four clubs and that includes Souths. Two are in Sydney, one out of Sydney. They are all strong offers.
“Put it this way, we are getting closer and closer each week but I’m not in a rush, we’re definitely not in a rush.
“Souths are in heavy dialogue with me and want to retain him. He would like to stay.”
The Broncos will deny any interest in Cook, particularly given they have Queensland hooker Andrew McCullough on their books until the end of the 2021 season.
fe6012e80eec2185d6d95ab10de8aa74

Damien Cook is coming off a career-defining season. Picture: Brett Costello
Cook will arrive back in Sydney from his honeymoon on Tuesday. It’s understood he feels a sense of loyalty to the Rabbitohs and his teammates, but he has played his best football under Brisbane-bound Seibold.
Broncos coach Wayne Bennett will arrive back in Australia from Europe on Wednesday, when negotiations will kick-start about a straight swap with Seibold for next season.
Meanwhile, Souths general manager of football, Shane Richardson, met the manager of George and Tom Burgess on a recent trip to England.
Souths remain optimistic both will re-sign despite obvious interest from rival clubs.
The twins come off contract after next season.

Bit of luck WB might take Macca with him.

Apparently it’s all rubbish. We won’t be getting Cook as Broncos aren’t interested. All just talk to increase Cook’s contract.

If Seibold is half the coach he's supposed to be he has to have figured out he'll need to cut Macca.

27? older than I thought. it's an odd age to have a breakout season.

At 27 I'm convinced he's mature enough but I'm just not convinced he's what we need as a nine. I recall how he went down when tackled by GI in origin. It was reminiscent of those dodgy soccer players acting like they had been shot. So I guess I'm saying it's his mental fortitude that leaves me wondering.

We won’t get him, nor do we need him. Niko at dummy half I think could play a very similar role to Cook, would also save us the big $ Cook would cost.
Anyone see him play for Aus? Not the same player as throughout the season, I even thought he went missing in origin.
I’m not sold.

Would be an even better idea if Nikorima could tackle.
He can tackle and actually has a very good technique. His problem is his size. A 5'5 frame trying to tackle someone who is a foot taller and 50 lbs. heavier is never going to be successful. I have criticized Niko on numerous occasions but I think he has been very sound defensively if you consider all the factors and he is obviously very tough not missing any games in 2018.

He can tackle and actually has a very good technique. His problem is his size. A 5'5 frame trying to tackle someone who is a foot taller and 50 lbs. heavier is never going to be successful. I have criticized Niko on numerous occasions but I think he has been very sound defensively if you consider all the factors and he is obviously very tough not missing any games in 2018.

He definitely does less arm grabbing than Milford but with his size, defending in the middle would break him eventually.

Squashed: Cook signed with Souths until 2023.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Painin the Haas
  • Tim K
  • Galah
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
  • kman
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mystico
  • Porthoz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • cento
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.