NEWS Broncos rookie tasked with containing Latrell

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
  • Staff
190402-shiba-web.jpg

Broncos rookie Gehamat Shibasaki faces ‘biggest challenge of career’ against Latrell Mitchell

May 14, 2019

Brisbane’s greatest centre Steve Renouf says rookie Gehamat Shibasaki has been “thrown into the fire” as he prepares for a head-to-head battle with Roosters star Latrell Mitchell at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold on Tuesday named 21-year-old Shibasaki on the right edge for their Round 10 clash at Suncorp Stadium as a replacement for out-of-favour centre James Roberts.

The Townsville junior was impressive on the right wing during the Broncos victory over Manly in last week’s Magic Round, when he ran for 123m, made two tackle busts and a line break.

His reward in just his fourth NRL game is the biggest challenge in his embryonic career – containing Mitchell, who has emerged in recent seasons as one of the most dangerous players in the competition.

Mitchell was at his damaging best against the Raiders last week at Suncorp Stadium, scoring a double and returning to the field after suffering what appeared to be a serious groin injury.

He has since been cleared to play and former Broncos great Renouf said he would present rookie rival Shibasaki with a massive test.

“Shibasaki’s been thrown in the fire there a bit,” Renouf said.

“We’re all seeing at the moment what Latrell is doing, so it’s a big test.

“Without a doubt, this is his biggest challenge so far.

“Latrell’s arguably the No.1 centre in the game right now so it’s a bit of pressure for the young fella, but hopefully he’ll handle it.”

It was shaping as an enticing battle between the incumbent New South Wales Origin centres Roberts and Mitchell, but the Broncos flyer has instead been named on the extended bench.

Mitchell is making a strong case to retain his Origin spot this year, having scored eight tries in nine games on his left edge.

His 19 tackle busts and six try assists are a reminder how much of a handful he will be for Shibasaki.

“He’s got so much strength,” Renouf said.

“He can run over top of you. He’s got that big palm.

“Even pushing up on his outside to push him back in to the inside defence, might be the way to go.

“It probably comes down to having two blokes tackle him.

“It’s not easy and I think young Gehamat is going to have his hands full.”

Jamayne Isaako returns to the starting side this week after he was named on the right wing following the season-ending knee injury to Jack Bird last week.

New recruit James Segeyaro, who joined the club this week, has also been left out of the side, named in the No.18 jersey.

Source: Courier Mail

Alec

International Rep
Need to bring back Berro, he could sniff out any time his opposite was about to get the ball.

NSW stables

BRL Player
I am surprised they havent got staggs marking mitchell. Last time we played them staggs stuck to mitchell like glue and kept him quiet all night. Even shrugged him off in a tackle to almost score.

Staggs was about the only player that could keep his chin up after that last game really.

Ponga01

NYC Player
I am surprised they havent got staggs marking mitchell. Last time we played them staggs stuck to mitchell like glue and kept him quiet all night. Even shrugged him off in a tackle to almost score.

Staggs was about the only player that could keep his chin up after that last game really.
They might swap before the game

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
  • Staff
I would hope so.

But they might just keep Staggs on the left to build a combination with Milford/Glenn/Oates since Bird is out for the season. It would make sense. I can't see Roberts being out of the side forever so he will slot straight back into right centre when he returns.

Interestingly, Roberts will not be traveling to PNG for the ISC match. The coaching staff have said it's for training purposes, but there could be a late inclusion on Friday night.

Ponga01

NYC Player
I would hope so.

But they might just keep Staggs on the left to build a combination with Milford/Glenn/Oates since Bird is out for the season. It would make sense. I can't see Roberts being out of the side forever so he will slot straight back into right centre when he returns.

Interestingly, Roberts will not be traveling to PNG for the ISC match. The coaching staff have said it's for training purposes, but there could be a late inclusion on Friday night.
He isn’t really settled on that side yet so you could move him just for this game then move him back

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player
I would hope so.

Apparently his visa has expired.
Hopefully he's got that sorted for NZ

LGH

BRL Player
No, that's not really fair. It might be worth watching the game if you haven't already. He wasn't all that bad.
Yeah, I thought he did alright, better in the second half, but then most of them were. Plus he's a centre, not a winger. I think he'll do better in his proper position.

Not VISA, Passport. You need at least six months Validity left on your Passport to Travel to PNG. NZ only one Month. The article I saw mentioned his passport needed renewel to travel to PNG. Normally it takes two weeks to receive a New passport after application but can be rushed through in two days for a fee so no excuse if they really wanted him in PNG

Morkel

International Captain
Shibasaki started poorly, made some errors, but as the game progressed improved. Even out of position he was able to get in some decent runs and made a great line break there towards the end. But he's shit and even if he plays in his natural position will be shit.
Turpin started poorly, gave away 3 penalties and threw some horrible passes, but as the game progressed improved. With more space against a depleted team he was able to use his running game to spark some attack. God.

Troll logic.

Sproj

International Rep
I re-watched the game, Shiba was still anything but impressive BUT he was playing out of position. He reminds me a lot of Moga in the way he runs...and drops the ball. Hopefully he knows how to pass though because that was something Moga hadn't learned how to do.

pagey

NRL Captain
I re-watched the game, Shiba was still anything but impressive BUT he was playing out of position. He reminds me a lot of Moga in the way he runs...and drops the ball. Hopefully he knows how to pass though because that was something Moga hadn't learned how to do.
Our whole team knows how to drop the ball, can't just point the finger at Shiba.

McHunt

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast
Shibasaki started poorly, made some errors, but as the game progressed improved. Even out of position he was able to get in some decent runs and made a great line break there towards the end. But he's shit and even if he plays in his natural position will be shit.
Turpin started poorly, gave away 3 penalties and threw some horrible passes, but as the game progressed improved. With more space against a depleted team he was able to use his running game to spark some attack. God.
Exactly.

Turpin: 131 receipts, 127 passes, 1 handling error
Shibashiba: 12 receipts, 0 passes, 2 handling errors

As you point out, playing on the wing is a shitload less demanding than centre.

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Our whole team knows how to drop the ball, can't just point the finger at Shiba.
I'm not sure how you got that from my post? I wasn't singling out Shiba, it is relevant to this thread given it is about him.

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
I'm not sure how you got that from my post? I wasn't singling out Shiba, it is relevant to this thread given it is about him.
His first touch from a kick return was a fumble. Our 3 wingers have been guilty of this a lot this season and it puts so much pressure on our defence. It’s been happening at the start of games too and really puts us on the back foot

McHunt

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast
His first touch from a kick return was a fumble. Our 3 wingers have been guilty of this a lot this season and it puts so much pressure on our defence. It’s been happening at the start of games too and really puts us on the back foot
Other than a bit of a sideline run that might've even resulted in a try had he been someone of the Yow Yeh calibre, I didn't notice him doing anything worthy of singled-out praise. I did notice him very wanting in defence, dropping the ball and looking like he was out of his depth. I hope Roberts moves up to at least the bench, but the press isn't giving me any confidence there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Legend01

Highlights