Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Forward pact: Why Carrigan rejected offers to leave Brisbane
Joel Gould
NRL.com Reporter
Fri 10 May 2019, 07:01 AM

Patrick Carrigan rejected big offers from rival clubs to re-sign with Brisbane after making a pact with Payne Haas and Thomas Flegler that they would stay to forge their own dynasty and honour the club’s legends.

The 21-year-old prop, who grew up idolising Petero Civoniceva and Shane Webcke, spurned a big offer from Canterbury last year when they tried to prize him away. Instead, he inked a new deal with Brisbane through until the end of 2022

Carrigan said Haas’s decision to re-sign until the end of 2024 last year inspired him to follow suit after Flegler had already committed until the end of 2020.

"There were a few clubs interested in me but there are a lot of young forwards here and as a group we had a chat and we decided that we wanted to come through together at the Broncos," Carrigan told NRL.com.

"Payne, Tom and I were together when we were playing 20s. Then Payne re-signed [last year] and I was on the same page. These boys are my best mates now and I love playing footy with them.

"When you think of the Broncos you think of the dynasty days and guys like Shane Webcke, Petero Civoniceva, Tonie Carroll and Brad Thorn.

"Now I get the opportunity to play with Payne [Haas], David Fifita, Jaydn Su’A and Tom [Flegler]. We are all around the same age and hopefully we can stay together and build into something."

Carrigan, who made his NRL debut this year in round five against the Wests Tigers and will line up against Manly on Friday night off the bench, said the success of the club’s great forwards of the past motivated him and made him realise the responsibility that comes with wearing a Brisbane jersey.

"It is huge. The club has won six premierships and a lot of them were off the backs of those guys. The last one was in 2006," he said.

"The team that they had here was almost the equivalent of a Queensland or Australian team. They were great sides. They have left a good legacy and for us we need to pave our own way and do those guys proud and build towards success as well."

Civoniceva told NRL.com it was "fantastic" to hear the young Broncos forwards of today had respect for the past.

"Pat Carrigan has already got a fair reputation himself and has accomplished a lot in the junior grades. He is also a wonderful young bloke and it is no surprise to me that he looks at a successful past era at Brisbane for inspiration," Civoniceva said.

"I was exactly the same. I looked to the players who had worn that jersey before me. Once I got that opportunity to wear the jersey I got an understanding of the responsibility that goes with that to emulate what the guys that went before you did.

"With the young forwards of today, for the level of potential and talent that they all possess, it is pretty exciting for the Broncos to see them emerge and start what will be long and successful careers."

The season has not gone to plan for the 13th-placed Broncos. Carrigan and his fellow forwards have learned some vital lessons in their losses, but he is not daunted.

"It has been tough but apart from the Roosters and the Rabbitohs we haven’t been too far off," he said.

"I’m loving it."

The former Queensland under 20s skipper, who is in the third year of a physiotherapy degree at the University of Queensland, is regarded as a future leader of the club.

Before joining the Broncos he was in the sights of the Queensland Reds after a stellar schoolboy career in rugby, but league was always his first love.

"I grew up playing league but went to Gregory Terrace [High School] and played rugby through the school, had a couple of years in the First XV there and was lucky enough to be school captain as well, a fair little achievement," he said.

"There was a little bit of interest from Super Rugby clubs when I finished but my heart was always with league and I loved the Broncos since I was a young fella so it was pretty easy to come here and play with these bunch of lads."

Source: NRL.com

i love this attitude from Carrigan. the pack i would be going with in 2020 is:

8. Lodge
9. a new hooker signing
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Staggs
15. Flegler
16. Ofahengue
17. TPJ

If Roberts leaves, the Staggs to center and Glenn to bench, if we renew his contract, if not some other utility

Now that it looks like Souths won't be able to use GI's cash to cover Jimmy's move I wonder if his perceived sooking will mysteriously dissolve to be replaced with an attitude of fighting for his spot and his blues jersey.

He is the incumbent FFS.

Tough year but can't help but feeling incredibly optimistic. You can be part of the problem or you can be part of the solution & it's awesome to see Fridge n Freeza giving such positive commentary on the young forward pack. Take note Lazarus, this is how you re-build a fallen empire.

i love this attitude from Carrigan. the pack i would be going with in 2020 is:

8. Lodge
9. a new hooker signing
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Staggs
15. Flegler
16. Ofahengue
17. TPJ

If Roberts leaves, the Staggs to center and Glenn to bench, if we renew his contract, if not some other utility
Bullemor I'm guessing, though I don't really know much about him outside of the reports from those in the know like @1910.

Haas is signed until 2024? Damn, that's even better, I thought it was only 2023.

Best prop in the game!

I like the guy more after that article. Not creeper style like Wolfie, but stocks rising - maybe he's a good one :P

There's a real long-term core building here, and it feels good.
Forwards: Lodge, TPJ, Fifita, Joe, Haas, Flegler, Carrigan
Backs: Dearden, Staggs, Oates

Keeping most of that together and shuffling other pieces well should lead to some serious long-term success.

I really like this kid; epitomises what you hope for in a young player how loves the club, respects the greats who have gone before and hopes to emulate them...im a realist; we won't be able to keep everyone of this pack (mind you, the guys right behind this lot are highly rated too..), but Carrigan is a future captain, and I believe he, Flegler and Haas can potentially be 1 club players....

Bullemor I'm guessing, though I don't really know much about him outside of the reports from those in the know like @1910.

I really enjoy watching him. Runs with speed and quick reaction like Fifita.

I wonder how Seibold feels about Carrigan? He hasn't been giving him a lot of minutes, is he going to be able to push for a starting spot with Ofa and Haas on long term contracts, and rumours of Lodge and TPJ being long term re-signings too?

I wonder how Seibold feels about Carrigan? He hasn't been giving him a lot of minutes, is he going to be able to push for a starting spot with Ofa and Haas on long term contracts, and rumours of Lodge and TPJ being long term re-signings too?

we have re-signed Pat until the end of 2022 ... I'd say Seibs thinks quite highly of Pat.

Wasn't that before Seibold came?

it was announced on December 12 ... about 10 days after Seibold arrived.

I'd say the negotiations started before Seibold got here, but concluded after he arrived

What i particularly liked is that they wanted to CREATE their own dynasty, not just join an already successful team in order to try and win a premiership like so many other players try to do these days

Active Now

• Tmac
  • Galah
  • Sproj
  • Griffo
  • Big Del
  • Manofoneway
  • Fitzy
  • johnny plath
  • Strop
  • Wolfie
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Thelmus
  • achievedrap
  • heartly87
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
... and 48 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.