General Tech Recommendations

soup

State of Origin Rep
Just lost my beloved Dell U3011 Monitor.

It just powers off after a few minutes, can't turn it back on, unless I unplug the power cord from the powerboard and then replug it back in. It then works for somewhere between a few seconds and a few minutes, then powers off, with the power button not responding.

I replaced the jug cord, no difference.

I changed powerboards and power outlets on a different laptop in a different room and it actually worked for 15 mins making me think it was the powerboard in my office. Then it did the same thing in the other room.

It must be the power component in the monitor...

Any ideas? Is it potentially able to be fixed? I can solder, somewhat...

Elsewise, what's a great 30"+ IPS (or whatever the tech is these days) monitor for around/under $500? I use it primarily for design-based stuff, but may purchase a gaming rig in the next few months for gaming, but predominantly design/animation.

Last edited:
Just lost my beloved Dell U3011 Monitor.

It just powers off after a few minutes, can't turn it back on, unless I unplug the power cord from the powerboard and then replug it back in. It then works for somewhere between a few seconds and a few minutes, then powers off, with the power button not responding.

I replaced the jug cord, no difference.

I changed powerboards and power outlets on a different laptop in a different room and it actually worked for 15 mins making me think it was the powerboard in my office. Then it did the same thing in the other room.

It must be the power component in the monitor...

Any ideas? Is it potentially able to be fixed? I can solder, somewhat...

Elsewise, what's a great 30"+ IPS (or whatever the tech is these days) monitor for around/under $500? I use it primarily for design-based stuff, but may purchase a gaming rig in the next few months for gaming, but predominantly design/animation.
Same thing was happening to me. Except when I plugged it back in it’d work for 0.0001 seconds. Turns out it’s the backlighting. If you look really close, even when it’s “off”, you can see the faintest image on there. It’s not fixable unless you’re good at microsoldering and have spare parts.

Strangely my one still works. It’ll shit itself for 10 minutes and I have it now set up to easily switch to 1 monitor. When it comes back on I switch back to 2. Only stuffs up maybe once every 3 months.

soup

State of Origin Rep
Same thing was happening to me. Except when I plugged it back in it’d work for 0.0001 seconds. Turns out it’s the backlighting. If you look really close, even when it’s “off”, you can see the faintest image on there. It’s not fixable unless you’re good at microsoldering and have spare parts.

Strangely my one still works. It’ll shit itself for 10 minutes and I have it now set up to easily switch to 1 monitor. When it comes back on I switch back to 2. Only stuffs up maybe once every 3 months.
Sucks, I loved that monitor. More than is fair when your talking about a piece of technology.

I’m sure monitors have come a long way since, so it’s probably not a big deal, and I have enjoyed about 8 or so years of joy from it, so can’t be too pissed off.

Latest posts