Jet ready for takeoff, warns Bennett

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
7d27ac69bdae536cd1cd1c0012cf9056

State of Origin I: Broncos coach warns NSW rookie James Roberts could burn Queensland with his speed

June 6, 2018

WAYNE Bennett, the Broncos super coach who turned James Roberts into an Origin player, says the NSW rookie’s speed could blow the Maroons off the park in Origin I tonight.

Broncos flyer Roberts will complete a remarkable career resurrection when he makes his Origin debut for the Blues against Queensland in the series opener at the MCG.

Four years ago, Roberts was on the brink of the NRL scrapheap after being sacked by the Panthers for an off-field incident, the second time he had his contract torn up after being shown the door by South Sydney.

Now Roberts is wearing a sky-blue jumper, with Bennett crediting Brisbane’s patience, two stints in a Thailand rehab clinic and the birth of Roberts’ second child a fortnight ago for his revival.

When Roberts walked out on the Titans three seasons ago after a contract bungle, Bennett knew he would cop criticism for signing him, but believed the risk of backing ‘The Jet’ was worth the reward.

“I just wanted him to realise his potential,” Bennett said.

“He has God-given stuff you can’t coach – speed and footwork. But I just wanted him to take responsibility and ownership for his actions and he’s done that, it’s a credit to him.

“I’ve seen a change in him because of his kids. He doesn’t want his children to face the same consequences he did in his life.

“To get where he has, he has had to have a good look at himself and turn a lot of things around. I can’t speak for other clubs but I know our club better than anybody and he came to the right place.

“I just like his raw talent and I wanted to get him to a place where he could capitalise on that talent.

“There was always a risk involved in signing James, but I was prepared to take that risk and back ourselves as a club to improve him as a footballer and a person.

“James has responded to it.”

A fortnight ago, Roberts effectively sealed his NSW selection when he destroyed the Roosters with a 70-metre solo try that inspired Brisbane’s 28-22 come-from-behind victory.

Roberts now faces the biggest test of his career marking Greg Inglis, the former Souths teammate who set up his first ever NRL try, but Bennett warned Queensland to be wary of his match-winning brilliance.

“James can do it to any side,” Bennett said.

“We all saw it a few weeks ago against the Roosters.

“The game was tight and there wasn’t much in it and he scored a try that is probably the best individual effort I’ve ever seen.

Source: Courier Mail

I'm really hoping Roberts learns some new skills playing Origin. I don't think you can just expect to run around the opposition like you can at NRL level, so if he learns how to play more structured and some more hole running, it'll be so good for the Broncos too.

Active Now

• The Don
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brocko
  • broncs30
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • heartly87
  • GCBRONCO
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • The True King
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.