Lockyer shelves rep retirement plans

K

kimlo_

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2008
AUSTRALIA captain Darren Lockyer has shelved plans to quit representative football after this year's rugby league World Cup.

Lockyer last year indicated the World Cup finale in his home town of Brisbane would be the ideal way to bow out of the representative arena.

But the champion five-eighth said he's had a change of heart following the success of his comeback from major knee surgery.

The 30-year-old says his decision was made as he sat in the dressing room following Brisbane's 48-12 win over Penrith on Sunday, his first match since rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament in July last year.

“You've got your doubts whether you'll ever be able to play like you once did,†Lockyer said at today's representative season launch in Sydney.

“I'm not 100 per cent yet but the fact I was able to get back on the field and play and do the things I was able to do, it gave me a lot of confidence.

“Last year I toyed with the idea of retiring from rep footy after this year and think the break's been really good for me and I'm committed now to say I'm going to play beyond 2008.

“Sometimes your mind's a bit cluttered and sometimes it's a bit clearer - at the moment I'm pretty clear about my decision to play beyond 2008 with rep.â€Â

The first name on the team sheet when fit, Lockyer said he was willing to risk being dropped by selectors, saying he only wanted to be picked if his form warranted selection. His decision will be music to the ears of Test and Queensland selectors.

The Maroons are on the verge of a dynasty as they go in search of their first hat-trick of Origin series wins since 1987-88-89, while Lockyer was also keen to lead the Kangaroos into a Tri-Nations campaign in the UK in 2009.

“Sometimes players like to leave on their own terms but I'm saying now I want to play beyond 2008 and I don't want to just be put in the team because of my reputation, I want to be picked there,†he said.

“I feel I've got something to offer there and at the same time I realise there's some young blokes coming through.â€Â

Lockyer also revealed his round one comeback for the Broncos nearly failed to eventuate after he was told by team physicians that his best hope was a return in round five.

He started on the bench against the Panthers but was the catalyst behind a decisive period of play when the Broncos ran away from their hapless opponents.

It was due reward for Lockyer after he took a sizable punt with his rehabilitation when he pushed himself beyond the limit set by trainers.

“They weren't pushing me as hard as I like to be pushed - they're probably just trying to be conservative and trying to make sure everything goes well,†Lockyer said.

“We just decided to up the ante a little bit. I felt like, 'I'm a bit frustrated here, I want to go a bit harder and let's aim for round one'.

“The physio was pretty amazed at the quick turnaround at the end. Physically and mentally I wasn't 100 per cent, I was a bit nervous before I went on there.

“People are expecting certain things from you. It was good to get through the game and have some nice touches, I was more happy about the team's performance really.â€Â

Lockyer flew back to Brisbane and will train with the rest of his Broncos teammates on Thursday morning before making a return trip to Sydney later in the day ahead of the Good Friday clash against the Sydney Roosters.

He said he expected to start against the Roosters and was confident his match fitness was good enough to get through the entire 80 minutes.
GO YOU LEGEND

That's probably the greatest news I've heard in a week of injuries! icon_thumbs_u

I'm 100% sure his form will never be the problem. He has and always will be a legend and the best player in the game.

There will come a day when we will say his form is dropping. But I think Lockyer is the type of player who will realise this, and do the best for his club, state and country, and step down. Rather than prolonging the inevitable.

great news but might be a little premature after just 1 game back. but locky would no his body better than any doc would.

Well I don't think he saying this because of the game he had. I think this is coming from him because of the injury which gave him such a long break away from football, so now he is refresshed but before he had been playing so long without any major injury so he think she can go an extra season (extra season with broncs 2) now.

I for one would hate to see his rep career ending with him being dropped. The great champions deserve to go out on their own terms and preferrably whilst they are still near the top.

Kimlo - all players have a used by date, form will always suffer eventually.

Aussie said:
There will come a day when we will say his form is dropping. But I think Lockyer is the type of player who will realise this, and do the best for his club, state and country, and step down. Rather than prolonging the inevitable.
Most players get wiser with age but I think Lockyer gets better with age. Much like Steve Nash (Phoenix Suns).

I agree, great news. Although it comes with some degree of bais when I say that I'd rather he stepped down from Rep footy for a few reasons.

1. Naturally it would benefit the Broncos if he was to quit rep footy
2. He has nothing left to prove and with Thurston, Prince and Cronk all well able to step up, after the World Cup would seem reasonable
3. Would increase his time in the game as well as reduce injuries.

Regardless, he will remain a giant of the game.

i like it and i dont like it.

I like it because it means that lockyer is more likely to stay in australia and possibly see out his career at the broncos.

i dont like it because i wanted locky to have at least one season fully commited to the broncos with no rep commitment.

Flutterby said:
I for one would hate to see his rep career ending with him being dropped. The great champions deserve to go out on their own terms and preferrably whilst they are still near the top.

I guarantee you lockyer will never be dropped because of form. He is way to good to be dropped, even if his form did go down he is still easily better then his replacements. He is the sort of person that remains a great player even when he gets older. Look at menzie it seems the older the gets the better he gets.

kimlo said:
Flutterby said:

I guarantee you lockyer will never be dropped because of form. He is way to good to be dropped, even if his form did go down he is still easily better then his replacements. He is the sort of person that remains a great player even when he gets older. Look at menzie it seems the older the gets the better he gets.

You missed the mark. He will get worse, that's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Burg said:
I agree, great news. Although it comes with some degree of bais when I say that I'd rather he stepped down from Rep footy for a few reasons.

1. Naturally it would benefit the Broncos if he was to quit rep footy
2. He has nothing left to prove and with Thurston, Prince and Cronk all well able to step up, after the World Cup would seem reasonable
3. Would increase his time in the game as well as reduce injuries.

Regardless, he will remain a giant of the game.

Good points but i think a guy like Locky loves challenges which makes him so great.

Easy for him just to focus on the Broncos but he wants to be the best so to strive for Rep honours is a great motivation,w hich will in turn help the Broncos.

Agree with both Burg and ALH. I think if Locky says he wants to step down from rep football it's a sign he's losing his motivation. That will only mean his contribution to the Broncos will diminish, unless he sets himself the goal of winning a premiership at all costs.

But at the same time, rep football is so draining, there's no doubt he's come back to the Broncos after the Origin series feeling jaded and not playing his best. That's no small contributor to the Broncos' regular mid-late season slumps.

True Most people lose form with age, but seem people do actually get better as they age, of course only to a certain extent (not speaking about 25 years old). I think with play makers the older they get, the better they get, unlike props, centres, wingers and back rowers who lose form once they get old and slow. His form might go down but i think he will only get better. Notice how he had such a good season in 06 as he got older.One more thing I reckon his extended break from football will really help him this year and next year.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • broncs30
  • Sproj
  • Redux
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • Brocko
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
  • Scorchie
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Jedhead
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Browny
  • Battler
  • Astro
  • Broncorob
  • Broncos Maestro
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.