SPOILER Marvel/DC Comic Book and Movie Chat

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
Just finished up. Really enjoyed it. I knew there were going to be a few story arcs winding up and had been expecting Starks since IW. Something in the way that Strange looked at him when he said there was only 1 scenario. When I saw who was retrieving the Soul stone I was hoping that Hawkeye would be the one to go, but alas. Wasn't a massive fan of the whole Professor Hulk thing, but it had its moments. The Thor Lebowski reference was excellent although not many people in my cinema appeared to get it. The Loki escape is intriguing. Is it a plot hole or are they going to explain it in a coming movie? I could be reading too much into it, but did I see the little kid from Iron Man 3 standing alone at the Stark funeral? Maybe the audio stuff after the credits had to do with him and taking on the role of Iron Man? Really enjoyed it. Now all we need is for them to make a decent Fantastic Four movie and they can bring in Dr Doom
I was wondering that about Loki too. I know he has a TV series coming up, so I assumed that's how they are going to tie that in.

And yeah - I was trying to work out who that random kid was then then it clicked that it's the kid from IM3.

scobie

NYC Player
Got to see it last night. I did enjoy it but didn't think it was anything special like most people seem to. I'm thinking maybe it requires a second viewing. At least!! Felt more like a tribute at times for the different characters and their respective relationships. After Captain Marvel, which I really liked, I was hugely disappointed with her screen time here. Felt more like a cameo than anything. Criminally underused IMO.

And there seemed to be a good few threads within the movie that you wouldn't want to think too much about or it would all start to unravel. The main one for me was how easily Iron Man took the stones from Thanos at the end. If it was that simple why didn't they do that in IW, instead of trying to get the glove off. Happy to be set straight if there's a good explanation.

And how come Thor was able to nearly kill Thanos when he had all the stones at the end of IW, yet when he had no stones in Endgame, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America and Captain Marvel couldn't beat him. He was stronger without the stones!! Lots of questions left unanswered!!!

Got to see it last night. I did enjoy it but didn't think it was anything special like most people seem to. I'm thinking maybe it requires a second viewing. At least!! Felt more like a tribute at times for the different characters and their respective relationships. After Captain Marvel, which I really liked, I was hugely disappointed with her screen time here. Felt more like a cameo than anything. Criminally underused IMO.

And there seemed to be a good few threads within the movie that you wouldn't want to think too much about or it would all start to unravel. The main one for me was how easily Iron Man took the stones from Thanos at the end. If it was that simple why didn't they do that in IW, instead of trying to get the glove off. Happy to be set straight if there's a good explanation.

And how come Thor was able to nearly kill Thanos when he had all the stones at the end of IW, yet when he had no stones in Endgame, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America and Captain Marvel couldn't beat him. He was stronger without the stones!! Lots of questions left unanswered!!!
I had a lot of these same questions but second viewing definitely answered a lot of them.

I was so glad Captain Marvel didn't save the day, it would have been a wrong move for the franchise. It should have come down to the original 6 and it did. A lot of the problems some people have with the film were the same as me and really it comes down to directorial choices more than plot holes (though there still are some) and this becomes clear on second viewing.

Upon said second viewing, you see that Hulk had just used the glove, hence him being under-powered. Remember, it smashed Thanos at full power, smashed Thanos the second time where he almost died (how come he automatically recovered from the axe to the chest by the way?) and killed Stark. So I have no problem with him not really doing anything late on.

Captain Marvel was beating Thanos, she was bending his fingers back and was overpowering him fairly comfortably until Thanos removed the power stone to hit her away and that was when Tony took his moment as Strange said to him this was the time to strike. I imagine Tony had built another glove into his suit just in case. After all, this is not unusual for Stark to have contingency plans. I think this may be explained a little further in the new Spider-Man movie, that is my hunch.

Thor was under-powered by having become an alcoholic slob. He wasn't in his peak fighting condition like he was in IW. This choice is certainly controversial by the directors but after IW, they needed to de-power him somehow.

I actually think the fact Iron Man, Cap and Thor did give Thanos a pretty good smashing (although not beating him) worked well. Remember, aside from Thor, Stark's best effort only resulted in drawing a drop of blood. Previously, Cap was barely able to do anything except hold the glove a little longer than Thanos expected. This time, they knocked Thanos down, pushed him around and gave him a bigger fright than he expected and Cap almost got him once he had the hammer.

bb_gun

NRL Player

I hear you, definitely needs a second viewing.

Not great, but good.

I think the glove thing makes sense because it was an Iron Man glove, it was nanotech so he was able to just switch them out while he had a hold of it. Not great, but plausible.

The final battle, with the three strongest Avengers, was more to do with Thonos' arrogance that he would always win, "I am inevitable". He believed he would win and thought he would. Not the best answer but he was riding that high so had the upper hand for most of the fight. He was powerful before the stones and this movie tried to highlight it, the comics do a better job of it. It took an army to defeat him eventually.

I absolutely hated Professor Hulk and fat Thor.

PS. I had 2 newborn babies in prams at my viewing. What kind of asshole thinks it's ok to bring a newborn into a cinema knowing it will cry and distract other viewers, yet that's fine with them?

scobie

NYC Player
Yeah see that's what my issue is. You can kind of explain most of the things that don't add up. But mostly the best thing to do is not think about it too much, cos you start to find a lot of loose ends. Like my 8 year old son said to me afterwards when I started with all the questions, "just shut up and enjoy the movie"!!

Like when Black Widow dies. She actually kills herself. She lets go. So there's no sacrifice. Like in IW, Gamora tried to kill herself so Thanos wouldn't get the stone. But it didn't work. He had to do it. So why did Hawkeye get the stone?

Yeah see that's what my issue is. You can kind of explain most of the things that don't add up. But mostly the best thing to do is not think about it too much, cos you start to find a lot of loose ends. Like my 8 year old son said to me afterwards when I started with all the questions, "just shut up and enjoy the movie"!!

Like when Black Widow dies. She actually kills herself. She lets go. So there's no sacrifice. Like in IW, Gamora tried to kill herself so Thanos wouldn't get the stone. But it didn't work. He had to do it. So why did Hawkeye get the stone?
Really? I don’t see that as an issue at all. One of them had to die there, how they died wasn’t important. You have to lose that which you love, doesn’t mean you have to actively kill them.

Bringing a dead body along though (has Gamora succeeded in being taken out), that doesn’t work.

scobie

NYC Player
Yeah look I can see that side of it too. For me though, if Hawkeye was the one that left with the stone, he was the one who had to make the sacrifice. But i guess it depends on which way you want to look at it.

Now that it's all wrapped up I can ask about the comics. I've never read any of them. Is the storyline in the movies a completely new one or did they use bits and pieces as it suited? If you read the comics did you know what would ultimately happen in Endgame? It'd be a bit of a spoiler if so!
Really? I don’t see that as an issue at all. One of them had to die there, how they died wasn’t important. You have to lose that which you love, doesn’t mean you have to actively kill them.

Bringing a dead body along though (has Gamora succeeded in being taken out), that doesn’t work.

Yeah look I can see that side of it too. For me though, if Hawkeye was the one that left with the stone, he was the one who had to make the sacrifice. But i guess it depends on which way you want to look at it.

Now that it's all wrapped up I can ask about the comics. I've never read any of them. Is the storyline in the movies a completely new one or did they use bits and pieces as it suited? If you read the comics did you know what would ultimately happen in Endgame? It'd be a bit of a spoiler if so!
Some of the comics worked their way into the movies and in various versions of the Avengers big battles, any one of Cap, Iron Man, Thor, etc die.

Ragnarok, Infinity Gauntlet and Civil War for example were comic books. So there is a lot of crossover that has happened but a lot of changes too.

New South Wails

Was that just a coincidence that they sent Black Widow and Hawkeye to get the Soul Stone? What if it was Cap and Iron Man that went instead (who didn't really like each other). Neither would be losing anything they love. I guess what I'm trying to ask is when they were deciding what teams went to get each stone, did they think about the requirement for the Soul Stone? Can't quite remeber how this went in the movie.

LGH

BRL Player
Was that just a coincidence that they sent Black Widow and Hawkeye to get the Soul Stone? What if it was Cap and Iron Man that went instead (who didn't really like each other). Neither would be losing anything they love. I guess what I'm trying to ask is when they were deciding what teams went to get each stone, did they think about the requirement for the Soul Stone? Can't quite remeber how this went in the movie.
What surprised me was that they didn’t seem to know about the sacrifice requirement. Nebula was with them during the planning. Surely she would have mentioned that was why Gamora was sacrificed. Seemed stupid. I wish they hadn’t snapped Bucky so Steve could have sacrificed him, can’t stand Bucky.

I enjoyed the many ways they wrapped everything up (loved all the emotional beats in the movie, Thor’s scene with his mother got me). And while Tony dying wrecked me, I was expecting it as soon as I saw he had a kid.

But I hated the very end. Thought Cap’s ending was stupid and unnecessary (and also couldn’t figure out how it occurred). But then I never really warmed to Cap, thought his character (and by virtue his standalone movies) were kind of boring (I count Civil War as another Avengers movie since so many of them were in it) and was Team Ironman before Civil War but especially from then on, so it bugged me that Tony died and Cap got his happy ending.

Yeah it’s a good question and it isn’t explained in the movie. I think (and I’m guessing) that Nat figures it out and knew going with Clint was the right move, just didn’t say anything. I guess they just thought about who knew each other and worked well together and teamed them up but yeah, your guess is as good as mine.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
The Hammer. He steals it from the "Dark World" movie timeline, are we to just assume that Cap returns it when he returns the reality stone/gel/whatever the fuck it is?

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
The Hammer. He steals it from the "Dark World" movie timeline, are we to just assume that Cap returns it when he returns the reality stone/gel/whatever the fuck it is?
I was just literally thinking about this and imagined a Thor universe where he loses his mother and can't find his hammer on the same day.

The massive seismic incident along the ocean floor comment is surely about Namor?
Did anyone else see Howard the Duck during the final battle? I didn't but he was there.

Not really going to say too much more until I see it again, but I loved this movie. It was done so well and I can't wait to see what's next.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Yes, because he did. He had the hammer in his hand when he went in the time machine.
Yeah, I remembered seeing the Hammer there but I didn't recall any dialogue about it.

I'm going to have to see it again I think, there was a lot to process there at the end. I need to get a better idea of the timeline as well I think. The Cap conclusion still has me scratching my head, the implications of him choosing to "get a life" etc

I'll echo everyone's comment about re-watching the movie. It's too much to process in one go, but I will say that while it probably isn't quite at IW's level, it was nonetheless easily the second best Avengers movie imo.
Agreed, it isn't quite IW level BUT given the hype and expectation around the movie, the fact it got so close is a credit to the directors. I actually can't wait to see it a third time.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
How the hell does Cap manage to return the Soul stone actually? Not to mention the confrontation with Red Skull!!!