COMBAT Boxing / MMA Thread

Remember when Rousey said she could beat Floyd Mayweather? lol

Rousey was always a one trick pony even if her trick was pretty sweet. Outside of that she was head down and winging punches like a grade schooler.

WMMA still lacks for depth. She could shred the rank and file but someone with solid standup who could avoid her clinch was always going to make her look foolish. Good thing she never ran into Cyborg, would have been even uglier.

She could have been a lot better had she got with a better camp. Tighten up her defensive instincts and transitions and she would have gone a lot further.

Credit to her for being a pioneer and opening up the game for other women, but she's got better options in Hollywood.

She should have taken part in other fights before going after Nunes.

No way was she ready to take on the best in the business after being out for a year.

She needs to start from the bottom, work her way up and for gods sake focus on boxing and learn some defence. Watching her defence was cringeworthy, it was amateurish. I've seen school kids with better defence than that.

Oh and learn how to handle defeat.

Apparently this is a transcript of what Rousey's coach was saying before and during the fight.

Tarverdyan:
Make her miss, miss, miss!

Tarverdyan: Ronda, make her miss!

Second cornerman: Be patient. Pick your moments

Fight starts.

Tarverdyan: Head movement! Head movement! Head movement! Head movement! Head movement! Head movement! Head movement!

Tarverdyan: Yes, move!

Rousey is already taking a few punches at this point, unable to properly defend. She continues to take damage as the following takes place.

Tarverdyan: Hands up! Hands up! Hands up! Catch her! Clinch!

Second cornerman: Get to the head!

Rousey is unable to get the clinch, starts taking worse damage as Nunes lands some power shots.

Tarverdyan: Head movement! Good job! Jab!

Rousey is unable to establish the jab or fight back. She takes a defensive position with a high guard on her left side as she continues to take more punishment.

Tarverdyan: Move, move! Come on, please!

Rousey starts to move to her left as more shots keep coming.

Tarverdyan: Move, move, move! Clinch, clinch, clinch, clinch, clinch, clinch!!

Nunes finishes Rousey, makes the shushing sign as she walks triumphantly around the cage.

Tarverdyan: NO! NOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOOO!! NOOO!! NOOO!! NO! NO!!

Nunes makes her way to Tarverdyan and says a few things before popping her head out of the cage to say a few more bon mots. Edmond remains quiet during this part.

Tarverdyan: (as Amanda walks away) Move, (unintelligible)... move! ****!

Don't know what the 'good job' part was for. She was getting fucking pummeled.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/12/...-corner-amanda-nunes-edmond-tarverdyan-advice

It's pretty well recognized that Tarverdyan is a shit coach.

There was once a pretty decent Australian fighter, whose name is George Sotiropoulos and he had elite level BJJ. During his run of 9 straight UFC wins, he was putting on some awesome ground displays. There was a lot of talk about George being very close to a title shot. He then came up against Dennis Siver who was thought of as not in George' league at the time, Dennis' strength was his stand up. George never attempted to take him to the ground where he is elite, but decided to trade punches the entire fight. George lost. Next match he did the exact same thing and got knocked out and what do you know, he did it a 3rd time.

The ego is a killer in MMA. When you keep winning, I assume you would feel invincible and you don't want all the standup work you do in the gym to be for nothing. But ffs Ronda, you got lucky with Bethe and I could only imagine it was a mix of bad coaching and ego that made her want to try to trade with Holly & Amanda. Just go for the armbar!

With that said, it's great to see WMMA evolving the way that it is. Amanda Nunes is going to be fun to watch. Imagine if they can arrange Nunes vs Cyborg!

Apparently Ronda battles with insecurities and her confidence was based around being the champ.

That would explain the stubbornness to go toe-to-toe with two strikers when she isn't one herself.

If Nunes had some kickboxing background (dont know if she does) but damn during that slaughter the amount of times Rousey was open for a kick to the head like the 1 Holm finished her off with..I guess she was open to a helluva lot more until Herb Dean saved her from getting really badly hurt.

Rousey was always a one trick pony even if her trick was pretty sweet. Outside of that she was head down and winging punches like a grade schooler.

WMMA still lacks for depth. She could shred the rank and file but someone with solid standup who could avoid her clinch was always going to make her look foolish. Good thing she never ran into Cyborg, would have been even uglier.

She could have been a lot better had she got with a better camp. Tighten up her defensive instincts and transitions and she would have gone a lot further.

Credit to her for being a pioneer and opening up the game for other women, but she's got better options in Hollywood.

I reckon some of those options might have gone out the window now.....

Rousey will be more remembered for the ease in which she was smacked around by Nunes and Holm than anything ease she ever did.

Just saw a replay of Penn vs Rodriguez.. hang'em gloves up BJ, had absolutely nothing with them awkward kicks flying towards him constantly. Rodriguez was simply too fast too slick

Just saw a replay of Penn vs Rodriguez.. hang'em gloves up BJ, had absolutely nothing with them awkward kicks flying towards him constantly. Rodriguez was simply too fast too slick

He got embarrassed big time. And Rodriguez certainly isn't the best in the division either.
I hope your saw the prelims with Oleksiy Oliynyk. That ezequiel choke was a sight to see.

He got embarrassed big time. And Rodriguez certainly isn't the best in the division either.
I hope your saw the prelims with Oleksiy Oliynyk. That ezequiel choke was a sight to see.
Had to youtube it to see that ezequiel choke, interesting watching how the Gracies do a walkthrough about it with of all people, Vince Vaughn [emoji23][emoji16]
Also caught a little of the Lewis vs Browne Fight Night in the weekend..brutal k.o. from Lewis..

Had to youtube it to see that ezequiel choke, interesting watching how the Gracies do a walkthrough about it with of all people, Vince Vaughn [emoji23][emoji16]
Also caught a little of the Lewis vs Browne Fight Night in the weekend..brutal k.o. from Lewis..

Browne is training under numb nuts Edmond. Browne is a shell of what he was.

Edmond should be locked up. He's putting people at serious risk. Wish Werdum kicked his face in when he shaped up.

Edmond should be locked up. He's putting people at serious risk. Wish Werdum kicked his face in when he shaped up.

Same. Dude, Browne has gone from one of the most athletic and explosive fighters in the Heavyweight division, to one of the most flat footed and confused fighters.

Despite that Mark Hunt has a point about cheaters in the UFC, i didnt expect Overeem to k.o. Hunt like that [emoji1] time to give it up me thinks

Overeem's body looked much different in this fight compared to his last few, I must say...

Active Now

• Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jedhead
  • broncos4life
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Johnny92
  • Tim K
  • winslow_wong
  • Mr Fourex
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Hoof Hearted
  • RolledOates
  • Manifesto
  • leon.bott
  • Brocko
  • Xzei
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.