NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving Kayo, best thing ever as I can finally ditch Foxtel

Now I subscribe to Kayo for all my sport, Netflix and Stan for me regular content and I'm paying less for all 3 than I did for Foxtel :)

Only thing missing from Kayo is a search function, as if I want to watch the Back Page, you have to go trawling for it

Other shows like NRL360 are a bit easier to find as they fit into the NRL category, but as Back Page is a generic show it's a bit harder
I don't know how much you know about computers but you can bookmark directly to shows.
For example - https://kayosports.com.au/shows/show-controversy-corner!8114 that goes straight to Controversy Corner.

Has anyone been following the Knights' team announcements on Twitter?

They are very, very good.

"

Nathan Ryan does good work.

Last edited:
Not really NRL but I came across highlights of a Qld Reds rugby match and saw Genia and Cooper playing well...for the Rebels. What???? When did that happen?

Storm champion Cameron Smith has revealed he will not retire this season and has offered to be a consultant to Queensland coach Kevin Walters to help the Maroons reclaim State of Origin supremacy.
In a wide-ranging interview with The Sunday Mail, Smith discussed his future in the code, his willingness to help the Maroons and his devastation at the recent off-field scandals that have ruined the NRL’s image.
The former Queensland and Test skipper – the most-capped player in rugby league’s 111-year history with a staggering 387 NRL games – also outlined his vision for the NRL to dominate the AFL as Australia’s No.1 sport.
“I want the NRL to prosper,” Smith said. “I want it to be the best game in our country.”
SMITH was expected to quit the NRL at the end of this season. Even his Storm club had budgeted in their salary-cap for their greatest player to enjoy an NRL swansong in 2019.
Then came the contract bombshell after last year’s grand final loss to the Roosters.
The off-contract Smith, 36 in June, was expected to sign a 12-month deal. Instead, he asked for a two-year extension to carry him through until the end of 2020.
It has been speculated Smith will not see out the deal, but the Storm legend insists he will not be lost to the NRL this season as he prepares to become the first player to sail past the 400-game mark.
“My intention is to play two years – definitely,” Smith told The Sunday Mail.
“If my intention wasn’t to play two years, I wouldn’t have asked for two years.
“It’s been written that there is a handshake deal (to cut short his two-year arrangement and retire this year) but there’s no handshake deal.
“If I thought 12 months is enough and I will have a think about 2020, I would have signed for just one year.
“But I felt so good after the State of Origin period (last year), that’s when in my mind I thought, ‘Let’s play two years’.
“Physically and mentally, I’m in great shape.”
HIS BOMBSHELL
SMITH admits not even Storm powerbrokers expected him to play on in 2020. But his mindset shifted last July after announcing his representative retirement and becoming an Origin spectator for the first time in 15 years.
Smith’s contract stand-off last year was complex and murky. Incredibly, the code’s No.1 player took part in the grand final without a formal deal for 2019. In January, Smith’s future was finally settled. Today, he explains the saga.
“I posed the question to the club about a two-year contract,” he said.
“I probably caught the Storm on the hop a bit.
“They were probably thinking 12 months, so they had to go away and talk about my decision and what impact that would have on their plans for the future.
“Thankfully they came back and the answer was a yes.
“Not being involved in Origin last year ... that tipped my thoughts into playing two more years.
“It did wonders for me not being involved in Origin both physically and mentally.
“I played Origin for 15 years. When you are involved in Origin for those three games for six or seven weeks, you come back to your club mentally drained. It can take the enjoyment out of club footy. Physically, you are fatigued. It just feels like you are going through the motions.
“But last year, I was working with 18-year-old kids at the Storm during the Origin period and loving it. I’d never felt so fresh.
“The last thing I would want to do is leave the Storm in the lurch as far as my intentions for next year. I’ve got that feeling and passion back again.”
ROCKED by Queensland’s 2-1 series loss to NSW last year, coach Walters has made changes. He has injected fresh blood to his coaching staff in the form of recently-retired Maroons greats Johnathan Thurston, Billy Slater and Justin Hodges.
Two years ago, Smith revealed he had ambitions to one day coach Queensland. While he accepts he has a busy playing schedule with the Storm, Smith says he is open to assisting Walters in a mentoring role.
“I do miss playing Origin but then I don’t in some ways, if that makes sense,” Smith said with a laugh.
“I would never knock back the opportunity to help the Maroons.
“It would be hard to do a lot of coaching while I’m still playing and the Queensland guys are in camp. Melbourne don’t stop training during the Origin series, but I’m always available for Kevvie.
“If he wants to call me and pick my brain about certain things and get my opinion on Queensland, I’m always happy to give him my advice.
“Whether he takes it is his prerogative, but I’m always happy to help the Maroons out.”
AS the code’s most powerful and respected playing voice, Smith is fed-up. He is sick of the unsavoury headlines created by off-field assaults and sex scandals and is determined to drive cleaner, more ethical standards of behaviour among NRL players.
During a phone call with NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg last month, Smith backed the governing body’s implementation of the no-fault, stand down policy.
“I love the game, I don’t like to see what it’s gone through ... getting hammered the way it has,” he says.
“We have the best (sporting) product in Australia in my mind, but I’ll be honest, our image has taken a hit over the off-season and the pre-season.
“At what stage is the playing group going to get the message if we sit on our hands and do nothing? I made that pretty clear when I spoke to Todd Greenberg.
“I said to Todd, ‘Any players that are caught up in any serious criminal offences, then they need to face the music’.
“I don’t think anyone in our squad (at Melbourne) has filmed (X-rated) videos. If they have, well they haven’t passed it tome because they would know what my reaction would be.
“I’ve made it clear to my playing group where I stand on this issue and what’s acceptable and what’s not. If you look at our track record at the Storm, we have a good record with our players and I’d like to maintain that.
“I don’t want to see another off-season like this again. We have to make smart decisions ... but the only people who can change it are the players.”
Source: Courier Mail

He is going to be running the game once he retires, you can tell he is angling at that. He is getting those premierships back by hook or by crook. Why did he get a testimonial 3 years before he retired?

He is going to be running the game once he retires, you can tell he is angling at that. He is getting those premierships back by hook or by crook. Why did he get a testimonial 3 years before he retired?

He’ll get another one too, you wait and see.

Also, where did he outline how to compete with the AFL? By saying the NRL is a better product?

As much as i'm not that keen on him, the bloke is a born winner and has probably the best football brain going around. You just know whatever he does he will succeed at.

Since they Storm had not budgeted for Smith in their 2020 cap, it would be interesting who they have to shed to cover for his unexpected $1 million inclusion.

Since they Storm had not budgeted for Smith in their 2020 cap, it would be interesting who they have to shed to cover for his unexpected $1 million inclusion.

Billy Slater retired and so did Glenn Lazarus. Failing that, there's always that 'other' book.

Tyrone Phillips has resigned from the Panthers effective immediately.

Jeez the Eels new stadium looks absolutely brilliant. It reminds me a bit of our stadium. Looks a tad smaller but jings every seat looks so close to the action. I'm sure it will give crowd figures in Sydney a much needed boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• MasterWright
  • westy316
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bucking Beads
  • Ozired
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Spooky1013
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • ezpz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.