NEWS Oates gives up half a mill to stay with Broncos

Corey is awesome. I will be a little controversial here but i think oates was more important to retain that TPJ. One, he would be cheaper, i think he turns up more often than TPJ and often his runs and line breaks have got us out of trouble.

I also think he is important for team moral as he is seems a popular character. Plus we are short on depth in the outside backs.

On ya corey, integrity move.

Corey is awesome. I will be a little controversial here but i think oates was more important to retain that TPJ. One, he would be cheaper, i think he turns up more often than TPJ and often his runs and line breaks have got us out of trouble.

I also think he is important for team moral as he is seems a popular character. Plus we are short on depth in the outside backs.

On ya corey, integrity move.

I don't think that's controversial at all. Oates has proved himself, even with the odd bout of drop-ze-ball. Much rather Oates than TPJ if I had to choose.

One of those no-brainer retention decisions.

Always good for a 15-20m run out of trouble and is too big a body to bundle into touch when going for the line most of the time.

If we get some wingers coming through the ranks and Gillett hangs up the boots in a couple of years then we have a ready made try scoring second rower.

Unlike other highly paid outside backs, we've never had any trouble knowing how to use Corey. Even this year we've found new ways to get him involved with that block play that no one seems to be able to defend.

Good business by the club. On ya Corey.

Glad Oatesy is sticking around. Him and Fergo are really bringing back value to the wing position. Not only are they great finishers, but they're monster set-starters.

One thing I hope he improves over time are his hands, but I have no doubt he'll clean that up at some point.

I love this kid. And I'm glad we seem to be building a team of players who want to be here. That's the kind of thing that wins you premierships. When all of the players are on the same page.

How can we downgrade the other duds on 800k and above not putting in?

Oates is the Bronco every one gets excited about, when he's on the move with football in hand.
The most important resigning yet.

How can we downgrade the other duds on 800k and above not putting in?

Oates is the Bronco every one gets excited about, when he's on the move with football in hand.
The most important resigning yet.

Some may say an important resigning would be Boyd but that’s an argument for another day

With the salary cap increasing by 200k from next season... signing Oates on 600k is shrewd business IMO.
You only have to look at his output to acknowledge he is a leading outside back in the NRL and he has a 75% strike rate in scoring tries over the past 18 months, etc. Compare him to say, Ferguson who is on $850k and everyone says "how good was that signing".

Well done White and Seibs.

Great stuff. Seems to be a very loyal 'Bronco' and will not be leaving us. Needs more consistency in his game to go to the next level.

We lack speed on our wings. Wish we could get an Addo Carr type winger to mix it up with Corey's big lumberjack power game.

Great stuff. Seems to be a very loyal 'Bronco' and will not be leaving us. Needs more consistency in his game to go to the next level.

We lack speed on our wings. Wish we could get an Addo Carr type winger to mix it up with Corey's big lumberjack power game.
just go to fiji, they seem to churn them out.

With the salary cap increasing by 200k from next season... signing Oates on 600k is shrewd business IMO.
You only have to look at his output to acknowledge he is a leading outside back in the NRL and he has a 75% strike rate in scoring tries over the past 18 months, etc. Compare him to say, Ferguson who is on $850k and everyone says "how good was that signing".

Well done White and Seibs.

Where did you get the Ferguson salary from? Everywhere I've looked says 500 a season.

Glad he is staying but just as well as he owes us a premiership more than Hunt after his terrible read to let Feldt score

Glad he is staying but just as well as he owes us a premiership more than Hunt after his terrible read to let Feldt score

Hunt bombed a try, gave the Cowboys that field position by having the ball stripped in the final minute and also had given away field position earlier by a dangerous throw on JT. It was a poor read at the end by Oates, but everything leading up to it was Hunt letting us down.

EDIT: It wasn't JT he did the throw on, I got that wrong.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • Organix
  • ThomasovPreaf
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.