Round 5 Discussion

Only 2 years until Smith retires guys, be patient.

Let's use that time to get good enough to win then.

Last edited:
The storm are the worst thing to ever happen to rugby league, they have introduced so much crap into the game the nrl is so desperate they let them get away with it. God I can’t stand it! How was no one binned in the last minute **** off

He's not wrong

I don’t like Green but he is exactly right. That frustration in his voice is what everyone mom-Melbourne fan have felt about the way the storm are treated for years.

That was disgraceful and someone needs to lose their job over it.

That last set they were refusing to get off, definitely a sin bin. And the last tackle, the tackle was complete with ample time for a play-the-ball and they just kept pushing him down, knowing a penalty would not cost them the game.

I need to throw up.

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy says the true mark of Cameron Smith's greatness runs a lot deeper than the countless records his skipper holds and his newly claimed position at the top of the game's point scoring mountain.
The historic moment came for Smith early in the second half of Melbourne's 18-12 win at 1300Smiles Stadium when the Storm were down by two points and received a penalty in front of the posts.
"He needed one point to break the record and we got a penalty in front and I sent down the message to take the two but I knew he would sway on it," said Bellamy.

"I thought it was a good thing for our team to tie the scores up and for him to get the record as well but he hesitated because he probably thought he'd look selfish if he did take that to break the record.
"A lot of other guys would have just taken the tee and grabbed the ball and broken the record but he was thinking about what was best for the team and how he would look."
Bellamy said Smith's reticence to take the easy two to break Hazem El Masri's record of 2418 points spoke volumes of the kind of man Smith is and the 'team first' mentality which has characterised his glittering career.
Apart from his skipper's leadership and selflessness, the coach was also happy to put Smith at the top of the tree when it comes to longevity and consistent excellence.
“We've seen a lot of quality players in our game but I think that quality he's shown for so long, to me, it makes him the best player I’ve seen," Bellamy said.
"He's tough, too. Obviously Mother Nature was polite to him and given him a body that has allowed him to absorb the rigours of 18 seasons of NRL which is unbelievable, especially in the position that he plays and the size that he is.
"And he's the guy who's always got the target on his head for the big guys in the other team so to do what he's done is remarkable."
The Storm have now made it five on the trot to start the season and had to dig deep to stave off a brave Cowboys outfit but Bellamy said he was "really disappointed how we played the first half and how we started the game".

Smith recounts record-breaking kick
"I think we completed one out of our first five and didn't get a whole heap better," he said.
“Having said that we dug in and defended really well. So that's probably why we won the game and we completed a lot better the second half.
"We're not scoring a whole heap of points but the positive thing for us is the opposition isn’t scoring many points either. So that's keeping us in games and now we've gone five rounds and we're still undefeated so you can't be too critical."
The match ended in controversy after officials refused to stop play despite Cowboys John Asiata and Nene Macdonald being seriously injured after a sickening collision.
Macdonald is believed to have suffered a break and dislocation of his ankle and was clearly in agony but play continued for a full set.
Bellamy's counterpart Paul Green labelled it a disgrace that the game wasn't stopped, especially after play had been held up earlier in the night when players had a bloody nose.
“I don't want to say it's a disgrace.” Bellamy said.
“I'm not quite sure why the game wasn't pulled up. I think it should’ve been. But without knowing the circumstances, without knowing what the protocol or the process is or how badly Nene was hurt, I say just from where I was, I thought the game should've been pulled up."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/13/bellamy-lauds-selfless-smith-on-historic-night/

Hazem will always be the best point scorer did it in less seasons and didn't kick in his first years.

Lol @ Bellamy saying what makes him a great man is hesitating to take the penalty, lol what.

**** off and retire Smith. I would have loved Thurston or someone like getting it. Not a long term cheating grub who ruined the NRL along with his coach.

Last edited:
Is this the first time in NRL history a Queenslander has held that record?

I know Cameron is extremely unpopular on here, but he's one of my favourite players of all-time. The way he organises the set and the way he manipulates the defence out of dummy half is just brilliant to watch.

Last edited:
Is this the first time in NRL history a Queenslander has held that record?

I know Cameron is extremely unpopular on here, but he's one of my favourite players of all-time. The way he organises the set and the way he manipulates the defence out of dummy half is just brilliant to watch.

He was also one of my favourite players, the turning point for me was him dogging Queensland a couple of weeks before Origin last year.

I can't think of any reason he did that, apart from thinking the players that were going to be around him weren't going to be good enough to sustain his almighty Origin win %.

Last edited:
So over the Storm and the self high fives they give themselves.

How many rules have come into the game because of these Harmichaels

Hazem will always be the best point scorer did it in less seasons and didn't kick in his first years.

Lol @ Bellamy saying what makes him a great man is hesitating to take the penalty, lol what.

**** off and retire Smith. I would have loved Thurston or someone like getting it. Not a long term cheating grub who ruined the NRL along with his coach.
Bloody hypocrites as well. The whole Storm team are absolute grubs; any one of them could have stopped play when they knew there were injured players on ground. They only pleaded for play to stop when it was one of their own.

If the fucken NRL can make a stand on this then hope this game dies out. And the bloody league wonders why they are losing fans to AFL and even soccer!!

Bloody hypocrites as well. The whole Storm team are absolute grubs; any one of them could have stopped play when they knew there were injured players on ground. They only pleaded for play to stop when it was one of their own.

If the fucken NRL can make a stand on this then hope this game dies out. And the bloody league wonders why they are losing fans to AFL and even soccer!!

I hate the Storm, but I don't think this is 100% accurate. Thy didn't plead to stop the game afterwards, the ref called the penalty straight away - that automatically stops it.

On the logic from the video ref there MCK was held on Thursday.

Man Cook is a great player. Bennett must love having a good 9 for the first time in like... 10 years?

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Foordy
  • Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.