State of Origin Game III - Live Discussion

The old still photo haha... You could take a still photo of any moment in the game and milk it. Welcome to the media... Cook 1 metre from the line with his speed on kafusi would have been over the try line 9.9/10. What this this doesnt show is that cook wasnt flat footed on kafusi. And look at he amgle of this photo, watch when tedesco actually gets through sims is way outside wallace on a front on angle lol. And who do you cover. The beach sprinting champion hooker 1 metre from the line and one of the fastest fb in the game or a second rowerr who is another 5 metres back and requires a precision flat ball across an advancing defensive line to get the ball? Lol unfortunately for us the game isnt played in still photos, it moves....

Have you ever played the game?

Yeah, I have played and what you're taught to do in that situation is not what McGuire did. If you do what McGuire did in training, the coach would kick you up the ass.

Kaufusi was sliding across with Cook, he had him covered. McGuire had no need to come in on Cook like that. He failed to read the play, he rushed in and he left his man unmarked which is a big no no.

The simple fact is, that try is all on McGuire.

Yeah, I have played and what you're taught to do in that situation is not what McGuire did. If you do what McGuire did in training, the coach would kick you up the ass.

Kaufusi was sliding across with Cook, he had him covered. McGuire had no need to come in on Cook like that. He failed to read the play, he rushed in and he left his man unmarked which is a big no no.

Fact/opinion*

Youre also taught to work as a unit,get numbers in the tackle close to the line, not stand flat footed and tackle the bloody player with the ball 1 metre out... all things wallace didnt do and mcguire did or at least tried to do... if mcguire doesnt go in and cook tries to score he is in, youd be going off about mcguire ball watching and not helping close to the line if cook scored. Look at wallaces feet, hes in no mans land. His toes are pointing towards tedesco with sims on his outside, he wouldnt have stopped either player running at full pace so whats his purpose?

Chambers out for me. His tendency not to pass and impulsively kick when he should just take the tackle sees him axed for me.

Last edited:

I agree with @Aldo in that I think the try was going to be scored regardless, barring some kind of miraculous defensive play. If McGuire stays on Tedesco, Cook gets around the marker. Or he still passes it to Tedesco and he still gets around McGuire. There's a heap of width that those two are covering, and both Cook and Teddy are lethal that close to the line with room to move either side. The blame lies with the previous play, with defenders unable to get back in the line fast enough, and the PTB being allowed to be too fast.

Bit delayed, but just wanna say "I told you so" to everyone who scoffed at me for wanting DCE in the team from the start of the season. He's clearly so much better equipped for the big stage in comparison to Hunt that it's not even funny.

Great game from him last night, that try he scored must've been so satisfying, equally so for myself, having $50 on him at 6's for any time try scorer.

Just beyond frustrated that we waited until game three before giving DCE a chance.

Whoever made the call to play Hunt over him should be immediately relieved of their duties. That decision cost us the series.

Bit delayed, but just wanna say "I told you so" to everyone who scoffed at me for wanting DCE in the team from the start of the season. He's clearly so much better equipped for the big stage in comparison to Hunt that it's not even funny.

Great game from him last night, that try he scored must've been so satisfying, equally so for myself, having $50 on him at 6's for any time try scorer.
He was terrific and had he played Game 2, the Qlders would have added yet another series victory. I am amazed by how much the home fans despise him because of the con job he did on the Titans. I mean, get over it. That is ancient history. Unless his club form goes to total shit, he will be there come Game 1, 2019.

You’re allowed to just say “I was wrong” and not be embarrassed about it

Right-o Mrs Cherry-Evans, I can say it for the 1000th time if you like ... He played well last night ... but his strike rate of 1 good game out of 7 is NOT that impressive, in fact it is quite poor

Right-o Mrs Cherry-Evans, I can say it for the 1000th time if you like ... He played well last night ... but his strike rate of 1 good game out of 7 is NOT that impressive, in fact it is quite poor

3 years is a long time in Rugby League, he's a better overall player now than back then imo. He's also playing a much different role, which suits his play style (As he mentioned in the post-game interview)

He was set up to fail in his last stint, he isn't suited as an impact bench player or secondary play maker like he was back then. He needs to be the guy, and now he is.

Last edited:

I rate Ash Taylor as a great prospect for the future, but a good 3-4 years out of DCE will mean Queensland aren’t under pressure to pick him before he’s really earned it and he’ll be free to keep working on his game and putting himself in a position where he has to be picked down the track

Problem for cA$h is he seems to have Anthony Mundine syndrome

You know that thing where you have the potential to be one of the best, but you think you already are, and so you never do the hard work and never actually become one of the best

Nah sorry, that's bullshit.

Anyone but the people who personally disliked DCE's character (or whatever, his Titans thing) could see it clear as day that he was the best 7 for QLD. He should have been there game 1, 2 and 3. Anyone without the personality bias could see that.

If he played awfully, people would be screaming that they're justified him being a POS, who isn't cut out for origin.

The only thing that kept him out of game 1, is not previous origin form, or club form, it's 110% political and that's it. Any other excuse is absolute bullshit. Hunt has never been and will never be a big game halfback, anyone with a shred of football knowledge would have DCE at 7 instead of Hunt.

It's yet another reason I don't want Walters at the Broncos, he let politics and personal favourites choose Hunt at 7 instead of doing what was very obviously the best thing for the team.

Last edited:
That Walters did not pick DCE at 7 for games 1 and 2 is a blackmark against his name as a coach. Selecting Hunt because he is mates with him was pretty bad.

Who cares what his previous form was though. He played injured one year when he shouldn't have, that was a **** act. He's from what I know, a POS, but you know what, last night he proved every single one of us haters wrong.

To suggest he was only "good" is just a fallacy to suit an agenda. He was at the very least top 3 in our team last night, I would have handed him MOTM. He fucking nailed it.

Last edited:
And there's no way Walters doesn't KNOW DCE was the right choice from the beginning, but he hedged his bets for personal reasons. He has a chubby for Hunt, and let that get in the way.

For someone who has coaching ambitions, he had to at least nail the basics, and that's choosing the best team available, instead of letting personal biases make selections for you.

And there's no way Walters doesn't KNOW DCE was the right choice from the beginning, but he hedged his bets for personal reasons. He has a chubby for Hunt, and let that get in the way.

For someone who has coaching ambitions, he had to at least nail the basics, and that's choosing the best team available, instead of letting personal biases make selections for you.

Hunt was performing well at club level though. Hunt is Kev's boy, he gave him a shot. The mistake he made was not seeing what anyone paying attention could see, which is that Hunt just doesn't have that step up to the next level in him. He was serviceable, without being stellar, at hooker though. So I think we'll see a Hunt/Macca rotation for the forseeable future. DCE should have come in for game 2, for sure. Imagine what DCE could have done with Ponga as well, exciting prospect.

Kev did throw Milf under the bus though - don't know what's going on there.

Our stocks in the forwards aren't as bad as people are making out.

He could have done a lot better in his selections for the pack.

Am I the only person that thinks Cooper is done at this level?
He just looks sssllllllooooooooowwwwwwww to me.
In the first half there was a grubber put through right in front of him and he kinda just loped in and looked to tackle the NSW defender who picked up the ball.
We needed a powerful second rower bursting through the line after the ball at speed not a loper jogging through to defend.
Chances are he doesn't get to the ball but he could have put a lot more pressure on the defender if he was in his face and maybe forced an error or drop.
Love Coops and he has been a champion but I think he's just too slow for Origin now. He was mostly picked as JT's right hand man but without JT he isn't as effective.

Nope you are not alone. I thought Cooper was the worst player on the field last night. As much as I respect what he has done over the years, he looks completely finished and has been mediocre for the Cows all year.

I would have preferred to see Papalii or Hess on the edge last night. Next year obviously it will be Gillett and Kaufusi.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • Financeguy
  • kiwi2
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Robboi_321
  • Brocko
  • Tmac
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.