Team changes for game 2

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
What changes to the line ups would you guys make for game 2?

For Queensland I would be looking at tweaking the pack a little bit. Maybe Papalii to start on the left edge in place of Cooper and possibly bring back Scott for Wallace if Wallace doesn't absolutely tear up at club level before game 2 (he needs to prove he wants his spot after last nights showing) If not Scott, maybe Ofa needs a go?

Slater for Morgan
Morgan to centre
Chambers dropped
Gillett for Arrow (doesn't have to be Arrow, he's just one of the benchies that I thought was rather anonymous - I thought Hess at least tried).

probably about it. As I said last night, I don't think we're far off, we just need to fix the 50+ missed tackles. No need for mass changes.

Slater for Morgan
Morgan to centre
Chambers dropped
Gillett for Arrow (doesn't have to be Arrow, he's just one of the benchies that I thought was rather anonymous - I thought Hess at least tried).

probably about it. As I said last night, I don't think we're far off, we just need to fix the 50+ missed tackles. No need for mass changes.
I know Chambers was bog average last night but he's been quality for a while now and is Queensland's second best centre. I'd be happy to run with him again as he would be pretty stung by his performance last night.

I know Chambers was bog average last night but he's been quality for a while now and is Queensland's second best centre. I'd be happy to run with him again as he would be pretty stung by his performance last night.
Yeah i could live with him having another shot and I agree we don't have much in the way of outside backs atm, but he should be read the riot act after last night.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't drop Chambers. He made some mistakes last night and he missed far too many tackles but he is still one of the best centres in the game.

Yeah i could live with him having another shot and I agree we don't have much in the way of outside backs atm, but he should be read the riot act after last night.

That's fair, theres a couple of blokes who need to be read that riot act!

I know Milf probably doesn't deserve a spot in the team but I think they should bring him in and persist. Hes's the sort of player that would lift and you could build a side around him, Munster, Morgan and Ponga. They need to use him properly and not just a 10 minute stint off the bench when the game is basically over.

I'd also love to see Hunt as a benchie to replace Macca at the end of each half. I love Macca but we need more attack from our dummy half. I'm happy for Ponga to be a shadow this series to get him into the environment but when Slater goes, he's in.

I don't think any of this will happen this series but they need a longer term plan IMO.

Slater in, Morgan to the bench, Milford out
Cooper out, Gillett in if fit - Cooper was shit last night and i dont think Papalli could mark up on Frizell in defence these days. If Gillett not back then Guerra or Sua - still think Sua is too raw though
Napa to the bench, Glasby or Scott to start, Arrow out

On the pack, Joe Ofahengaue should be a shot. Wallace doesn't have enough impact and was only given 35 minutes.

I thought Kaufusi's defence was worse than Chambers'. He made 46 tackles but 7 missed and 2 ineffective, and he was directly responsible for 2 or 3 line breaks. SOS Gillett.

I thought Kaufusi's defence was worse than Chambers'. He made 46 tackles but 7 missed and 2 ineffective, and he was directly responsible for 2 or 3 line breaks. SOS Gillett.
Yeah, I was seriously surprised by how bad Kafusi, Chambers and Munster were in defence last night. Coming from the Storm, you'd think they'd be on top of that shit. Those blokes leaked like a sieve last night.

I really think we need to persuade Cronk to come back. Our succession plan for this team has been clueless. No team can afford to lose the players we have inn one hit, Kevvie should have made sure at least one of Thurston, cronk or Smith were around for this series.

Apart from that, I think Napa and Wallace should be on very thin ice. They need some huge games before the next origin yo keep their place. Keep Papa on the bench for his impact, he was terrific. Bring back Slater and I think our backline still at least matches theirs. Our forwards are a worry for me.

Ponga if Slater isn't fit for starters.

HALVES

However we look at it I think we are screwed in the halves. We have to settle with what we have and hope they perform at there peak. I think stick with Hunt and Munster and just need to cross fingers that they both bring their A games. Hopefully Hunts leg is better and he can run more. You could argue for DCE, however it appears that is never going to happen and I’m fine with that.

Morgan then goes back to 14. Milf is not ready and doesn’t deserve the spot. He plays 80 or not at all and I don’t think he is Qld’s best 6 or 7 at the moment. I thought Hunt was above average last night and I think we suffered when he went to hooker. He doesn’t have his legs at the moment but that’s just how it is with injury. Even if he improves 10-20% on last night he can do the job.

The only other option I would consider if we must make a change is Hunt 7, Morgan 6 and Munster 14. Munster is a genuine utility. With injury or someone shitting the bed he can play 1, 3, 4, 6. And he also brings energy of the bench. I know you can say the same of Morgan as utility. But Hunt might need a better organising 6 than Munster. Morgan did if for a whole season last year pretty well and could be a better foil.

There is no obvious solutions in the halves. It’s a lottery and we just have to hope that our numbers come up on the night.

FULLBACK

Morgan was serviceable last night at fullback but we need Slaters support play through the middle to provide more attacking options. We didn’t look like scoring a try for most of the night. Inglis poked his head through a few times but no one was backing up. Slater can retire next year. We need him if we are any chance to squeeze out a series win this year. You can lock Ponga in for next year to kick start a new QLD dynasty. [emoji6]

OUTSIDE BACKS

Chambers was poor and his performance may have lost us the game. But I think he gets another go. We need Oates meters from kick returns but who is dropped for him? Holmes kicks goals and has try’s in him. I think our team needs Oates but we don’t drop Holmes and Gagai after last night. Gagai brings his best at Origin and will be better when his hand isn’t impeding him. I thought Gagai’s involvement in the first half was epic. He (and Chambers) had so many hit ups early on giving our forwards the chance to play bigger minutes. This why I dint get why Wallace was so shit.

And Inglis. Well nothing needs to be said. Massive last night

1 - Slater
2 - Holmes
3 - Inglis
4 - Chambers (one more chance)
5 - Gagai

HOOKER

Yeah, we are screwed here as well. Maca is ‘good’ and the best option. He’s just not going to lead us to victory. Again, we cross fingers he plays at his peak and can provide some better attacking options. Cook will outplay Maca all day so we just need Maca to bring one of his best performances. Even if Smith doesn’t feel he can bring 100%, his 80% is better than Macca and I’m a bit shitty he dogged us this year.

FORWARDS

Wallace was really really poor and I’m not sure why he couldn’t bring a better performance. Did he gas out in the first 10mins, flu? I doubt Walters will make a change but I would be happy bring Joe in his place. He is also more mobile in the middle defensively.

Nappa wasn’t great but he did bring strong impact in defence. His go forward in the first half was missing though but he seemed to grow into the game. I think QLD need to hit hard and Nappa brings that. Joe and Papa in the middle for meters and Gillet to the edge if he is up for it.

Scott might bring more meters but NSW will keep coming at us through the middle and I don’t trust Scott’s mobility this year to plug holes in defence. He’s done, let’s keep working with our young forwards.

I thought Hess and Cooper were ok. You could bring someone younger like Sua to replace Cooper but I don’t think he was our problem last night.

10 - Joe
8 - Papa
9 - Macca
11 - Cooper
12 - Gillette

15 - Napa
16 - Hess
17 - Arrow

FINAL WORD

We have definite holes in our squad and I don’t think there any obvious fixes this year. We need the dice to role our way and some players to reach peak performance if we are a chance to bring it to Brisbane for a decider.

Can’t see how Kevvie or any sane person could see a way to put points on with the chosen spine barring individual brilliance and luck. Always hard slog losing for legends but NSW blooded 2/3 of a team FFS so no excuses.

1. Slater (Munster if required)
2. Oates
3. Inglis
4. Munster (Chambers on lst warning if required)
5. Gagai
6. Milford
7. DCE (rest of the series and that’s it)
8. Scott
9. Hunt
10. McGuire
11. Guerra (not keen but defending well and can’t keep current pair based on last night)
12. Gillo only if 100% (Kafusi if required but shorter minutes to tighten defence)
13. Papa
14. Morgan
15. Napa
16. Kafusi
17. Wallace
18. Offa
19. Chambers
20. Holmes
21. Ponga
22. Arrow
23. Hess
24. Macca
+ another 10 like Sua, Taylor etc in an emerging camp nearby and can use them when it’s time for opposed drills.

You bring all of those guys into camp including extras (as soon as NRL commitments allow after the weekend games). Train, eat, sleep and breathe as a squad. Pattern the defence up tight in the middle and let NSW try and run around when they get frustrated. Get Milf and slater supporting the ball carrier left and right. Get DCE in charge and let him know he has once chance to be a legend. If won’t act like a QLD team member then dump him but realistically he is QLDs only halfback close to standard unfortunately and he can kick goals.

It’s a stand-alone weekend so injuries should be prepared for and well covered in the squad.

Biggest play pregame needs to be a letter of demand to NRL CEO and Chief referee for independent review of quality of reffing. Don’t deserve to win with 50 missed tackles and poor coaching but no way it was a 5-1 penalty count and almost all NSW points had a lot of ‘luck’ in the calls. But at least NSW could convert their ‘luck’ we couldn’t have put a try on against an under 12s team with a backline movement.

I know Milf probably doesn't deserve a spot in the team but I think they should bring him in and persist. Hes's the sort of player that would lift and you could build a side around him, Munster, Morgan and Ponga. They need to use him properly and not just a 10 minute stint off the bench when the game is basically over.

I'd also love to see Hunt as a benchie to replace Macca at the end of each half. I love Macca but we need more attack from our dummy half. I'm happy for Ponga to be a shadow this series to get him into the environment but when Slater goes, he's in.

I don't think any of this will happen this series but they need a longer term plan IMO.

Agreed. We don't have the speed to match nsw out wide but we need more speed men around and attacking the ruck. Exactly the way Tedesco killed us last night we should be able to return fire with Milford, slater and ponga in the future.

We need to limit the damage by Tadesco and Cook . Granville or DCE in to share the dmmy haldf duties with McCullough . Millford out. Thats it. We were not that far off the pace last night so the rest of the boys deserve another shot.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.