The Federal Election

Who will you vote for in the 2019 Federal Election?

• Labor

• Greens

• Liberal

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
ROFL, Howard is Labor uh?

This is Australia's historical unemployment rate, which is generally a great indicator of the country's economic state.

View attachment 4988

I'll let you guess which governments were in charge during the red periods.
There is nothing I love more than a graph with shit circled in MS Paint. I'm sorry, you can't dispute graphs of this kind. The argument has been won.

This is Australia's historical unemployment rate, which is generally a great indicator of the country's economic state.

View attachment 4988

All that shows it that there steady employment decline under the Libs. Look at that runaway train 96-2006 who going to pull that up.

All that shows it that there steady employment decline under the Libs. Look at that runaway train 96-2006 who going to pull that up.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, that graph is UNemployment. You're looking at the sections where unemployment steadily and continuously drops under the LNP...

Brisbane
Unless I'm reading it wrong, that graph is UNemployment. You're looking at the sections where unemployment steadily and continuously drops under the LNP...
Should we talk about LNP and their love for redundancy to "save money" while employing contractors, with less benefits, and a higher pay rate, to fill in, and to "reduce teh unemployment rate"?

Hard to tell without a heading.
Wait, so Unemployment is lower under labor?

Last edited:
Hard to tell without a heading.
Wait, so Unemployment is lower under labor?
No, the bits circled in red, where the unemployment rises steeply, are when Labor came in to power.

No, the bits circled in red, where the unemployment rises steeply, are when Labor came in to power.

Brisbane
Just like Port's other shitty 2 dimensional graph, I would expect the brains who support the LNP no matter what would be smart enough to know that a graph doesn't actually tell a story.

Let me bang on again about the GFC. Unemployment went up... not fuckin much. But, there is a damned fine reason for bad numbers through that Government, which is being spun as a bad thing, by deliberately ignoring very large contributing factors, and pathetic attempts to talk down about the good that the other guys did.

It's no better than the parties themselves. It shows a real lack of free thinking. I'm sure those who are clearly all up in the LNP will call themselves swing voters, but the reality is, they're likely not.

Ipswich

That's just not true. When Labor came to power in 1983 unemployment was at 11% and Labor reduced it to 5% over the next 6 years! Wrong Morkel.

What's true though is it went back up over the next 6-7 years back to 11% and then dipped again back to around 8% in 1996 when the Libs had a shot at reducing it further.

Just tell the truth Morkel, your views will then get the respect you crave.

Ipswich

The first red circle is down to the Libs who presided over the economy from 74 through to 83. The big jump in unemployment was the Libs doing.

Just like Port's other shitty 2 dimensional graph, I would expect the brains who support the LNP no matter what would be smart enough to know that a graph doesn't actually tell a story.

Let me bang on again about the GFC. Unemployment went up... not fuckin much. But, there is a damned fine reason for bad numbers through that Government, which is being spun as a bad thing, by deliberately ignoring very large contributing factors, and pathetic attempts to talk down about the good that the other guys did.

It's no better than the parties themselves. It shows a real lack of free thinking. I'm sure those who are clearly all up in the LNP will call themselves swing voters, but the reality is, they're likely not.
It's not even my graph. Once again I was just answering questions posed by another person on here.

I guess I'll fire back my response when I have more free time. You busy at around 10 tonight?

Brisbane
It's not even my graph. Once again I was just answering questions posed by another person on here.

I guess I'll fire back my response when I have more free time. You busy at around 10 tonight?
It doesn't need to be yours. You are disputing it based on what I posted.

Brisbane

View attachment 4988

Right, comparing job figures over 30 years leaves a lot of nuance off the table, such as involuntary unemployment, full time vs part time employment, under employment and external compounding factors.

For example both the early 1990s and 2008 rise in unemployment figures were in the same time frame as global recessions for most Western countries.

Another way to look at it is job creation
upload_2019-5-2_12-53-36.png

Labor have historically created more jobs than the Liberals, it's not much, but they have.
And if I use that same data points but cut it to the last 12 years to be more recently relevant we get something like this, and to go one better I'll use paint free form squares.

upload_2019-5-2_13-20-52.png
Now what does this show? Comparing the last two governments over 12 years, or two terms each, Liberals have had higher unemployment levels for longer periods, than the previous Labor government and on average have had higher unemployment numbers. That's with a global financial recession to contend with too, quite impressive.

Last edited:
It doesn't need to be yours. You are disputing it based on what I posted.
Truth be told, I looked at the graph, looked at the dates for the PM's, they seemed close enough. I didn't think Port would put up a graph and commenting on "who was in power at the time" without first checking it himself. I'll never trust him again.

Anyways, I have now accurately overlayed who was in power over the graph.

Unemployment.png

EDIT Kimlo Kimlo, you can't just cut off the graph at a convenient time (eg, that 12 year point) and portray that as an accurate reflection.

Otherwise I can just do the same - what does this trend show you?

Unemployment2.gif

That graph shows the LNP taking over from a Labor shitshow, dropping unemployment to record lows, Labor getting in to power and fucking it up, and the LNP turning around again.

Attachments

Last edited:
Brisbane
Truth be told, I looked at the graph, looked at the dates for the PM's, they seemed close enough. I didn't think Port would put up a graph and commenting on "who was in power at the time" without first checking it himself. I'll never trust him again.

Anyways, I have now accurately overlayed who was in power over the graph.

View attachment 5003

EDIT Kimlo Kimlo, you can't just cut off the graph at a convenient time (eg, that 12 year point) and portray that as an accurate reflection.

Otherwise I can just do the same - what does this trend show you?

View attachment 5005

That graph shows the LNP taking over from a Labor shitshow, dropping unemployment to record lows, Labor getting in to power and fucking it up, and the LNP turning around again.
He's taken off history prior, and hasn't removed enough to not make it a fair comparison. It's doesn't compare to what you've done, any suggestion otherwise is a stretch. Your example is purposely made to try and hide the finer details, Kimlo's simply removed a lot of history, likely because he can't comment on his own knowledge, because he wasn't here for it, or gone after the GFC to remove the data from that period, because it keeps being used as a way to stomp on Labor, when everyone knows the reality is, that period was very well done by Labor.

It comes back to the "good on paper" argument which the LNP loves. It only looks good on paper, because it doesn't give enough information about why, how, when, who or what was going on.