What's your job? Do you enjoy it?

AndyB

NYC Player
Originally from NZ, grew up farming, went into farming then agribusiness there and WA.
Made a career move and finished my electrical apprenticeship in 2017.
Now concentrating more on the industrial side - mining, Oil &Gas, power infrastructure, factories.

I make pretty things on a computer.

Customers then try to make them less pretty.

Sales reps try to make the happen yesterday and for a price that is not reasonable.

Then I have to make those urgent, discounted, less-pretty things in real life, very large, with no compromise in quality.

I love doing what I do, if only we didn't have customers or sales reps.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
I'm in basically the exact same line of work as ningnangnong ningnangnong, except in the state government. It's... okay. I make a mean spreadsheet.
Respect, brother! 🙏

I thought I was alright at spreadsheets, then I saw what my new boss could do and I was just in complete awe (if you can even be in awe of someone's spreadsheet abilities haha).

AndyB

NYC Player
Originally from NZ, grew up farming, went into farming then agribusiness there and WA.
Made a late career move and finished my electrical apprenticeship in 2017.
Now concentrating more on the industrial side - mining, Oil & Gas, power infrastructure, factories.
Forgot to say, been based in Perth since '09.
Do I enjoy it?
Yes most of the time, always learning, the trade has many different avenues of work.
We definitely have challenges in our industry regarding labour hire, casual contracts, safety, protecting our industry wage wise.

Respect, brother! 🙏

I thought I was alright at spreadsheets, then I saw what my new boss could do and I was just in complete awe (if you can even be in awe of someone's spreadsheet abilities haha).
I respect spreadsheets. My excel kung fu is strong.

soup

State of Origin Rep
I teach graphic/web/interactive/UX/UI/IxD/Motion-graphic design at tertiary level.

I fucking love it. It has many challenges, but it’s worth it. Not because of the subject matter that I teach, but the effect I have on young adult’s direction and motivation.

I wish it was full time, but I’d have to do a PHD to be in that realm, and honestly, I’m not willing at this stage in life. Maybe one day.

Last edited: