When the ball hit the ref

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
That is scrum to the team in whose attacking half it's in no? Should have been our scrum?

Gould said something along the lines of it's a scrum if the ball hitting the ref adversely affect play ... but a scrum doesn't have to be called

Yeah it's only a scrum if the ball hitting the ref adversely affects play, probably to try and make sure teams aren't purposely employing the tactic of kicking the ball to the ref to get a scrum out of it and another set of six.

The last time I saw it happen where it resulted in a scrum was the semi final in 2014 between Bulldogs and Manly. Lockyer did one against Manly back in 2010.

Yeah it's only a scrum if the ball hitting the ref adversely affects play, probably to try and make sure teams aren't purposely employing the tactic of kicking the ball to the ref to get a scrum out of it and another set of six.

The last time I saw it happen where it resulted in a scrum was the semi final in 2014 between Bulldogs and Manly. Lockyer did one against Manly back in 2010.

Well it adversely affected play because it rebounded off the ref and lost us about 20-30 metres of territory.

I much preferred when MILF hit him square in the face after his try. I'd love to know the penalty count in the first half. It seemed Manly were given one every time we were down their end.

The refs marched them downfield on almost every occasion. The shot clock for scrims went off once after that they switched it off as Manly went way over time in two instances and nothing happened.

I was certain it was 'attacking' territory wise not ball wise.

Well it adversely affected play because it rebounded off the ref and lost us about 20-30 metres of territory.

There was a bit missed in the post you're quoting regarding the rule "... adversely affects the play, and Brisbane Broncos are not in possession, a scrum will be formed"

This is the last time I recall the referees ordering the scrum. Now I'm not sure what the indicators are for the referees or their interpretation of adversly affecting play but in that instance the Bulldogs were closer to the try line and Reynolds was a better chance of regathering the football than anyone at the Broncos was.

I could be wrong, but from memory there was an instance at GIO where the ball hit the referee and they called play on. From memory it was an afternoon game and I remember being puzzled because I thought it was a mandatory scrum to the team inside the opposition's half.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Browny
  • Santa
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Redux
  • Broncorob
  • Harry Sack
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Foordy
  • Porthoz
  • Fitzy
  • Battler
  • The Don
  • NSW stables
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
  • Mustafur
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.