NEWS ‘I want to be part of my kids’ life’: Broncos’ cult hero retires

BHQArticleImageLarge140

Broncos’ fan favourite Corey Oates has retired from the NRL, having endured injuries that derailed the latter stages of his rugby league career.

Just 29, the Brisbane winger opted not to push for the chance to feature in the club’s new era under incoming coach Michael Maguire, drawing the curtain after 216 games.

His 121 tries sit as the third-most by any man to don the maroon and yellow jumper, with his tough, bulldozing carries from off his own tryline a trademark of his game.

However, the past two seasons have worn heavily on Oates, managing just 24 games in that time as knee and hamstring issues were compounded by a broken jaw, adding to what had already been a growing number of surgeries throughout his 12-years in Broncos’ colours.

As the Broncos usher in a fresh wave of outside backs – Selwyn Cobbo, Deine Mariner and Jesse Arthars among them – Oates said putting his family first and not playing beyond his best years were behind his decision.

“When you have kids and family, and when you get to that point in your career, you evaluate what’s important – and I want to be part of my kids’ life and do as much as I can with them,” Oates said.

“The last 18 months haven’t been kind with my body and my injuries, but it’s my family that are my main priority now and that’s why I’ve made the decision to retire.

“I never thought I was going to play one game, let alone over 200. I never wanted to be the person who went one season too many and now is the right time for me to go.”

Screenshot 2024 10 10 at 10 27 24 NRL 2024 Brisbane Broncos Corey Oates retires

Growing up in Biloela, “my brother and I playing games of footy”, Oates admits he never envisioned he would get the opportunity to line up on the big stage.

Before what turned out to be his swan song at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane’s 50-12 hammering at the hands of the Melbourne Storm, the 105kg flyer hinted he wished to impress for another contract, after former coach Kevin Walters had suggested he could garner an extension.

But the 2015 grand finalist, who had said he would never play for another outfit, looked back with no regrets of his decision.

“I got to play with some of the greatest players ever in this game and that is the biggest thing for me,” Oates said.

“Playing Origin for Queensland and playing for the Broncos – I still have to pinch myself that it all happened for real, but when I got those opportunities, I took them.

“Rugby league has given me everything and I will be forever grateful. I’ve always loved the club because it’s been my home since I left school and I won’t be a stranger, I’ll definitely be around the place.”

Sydney Morning Herald

Thanks for the memories!

When I think of oatesy I think of him terrorising Souths for many years.

I also think about how he was robbed of that amazing all time try in the 2015 GF. If we’d won that would be on hilights reels every year ala the Pearl. He shouldn’t have missed that tackle on feldt.

Thanks for the memories!

I also think about how he was robbed of that amazing all time try in the 2015 GF. If we’d won that would be on hilights reels every year ala the Pearl. He shouldn’t have missed that tackle on feldt.
I don't remember the try. In fact for some reason (too much alcohol) i don't remember much of that day.

Thanks for the memories!

He shouldn’t have had to make a tackle to start with!

He shouldn’t have had to make a tackle to start with!

He didn't have to.

Reed had Morgan covered. That's why a lot of people aren't happy with Oates, because he didn't have to come off his wing. He didn't have enough faith in Reed.

He didn't have to.

Reed had Morgan covered. That's why a lot of people aren't happy with Oates, because he didn't have to come off his wing. He didn't have enough faith in Reed.
It's been the Broncos defensive structure for years. Wingers always jam.

He didn't have to.

And Reed had completely fucked his shoulder. Everyone knew it, which is why Morgan went at him.

And Reed had completely fucked his shoulder. Everyone knew it, which is why Morgan went at him.

Not to mention how many times Morgan had made a fool of Milford on that side. I may be misremembering instances post-2015 as pre-, but I can remember at least two hattricks scored by him on that side.

And there was at least 3 or 4 tacklers prior to Morgan going to the line where the play should've been stopped.

But let's stop doing this to ourselves, and taking away from the point of the thread

Active Now

• Confidor
  • Justwin
  • NSW stables
  • Stix
  • Wolfie
  • thenry
  • Lazza
  • the_next
  • Spoon
  • Johnny92
  • Accept
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • Manofoneway
  • winslow_wong
  • mitch222
  • Allo
  • barker
  • GCBRONCO
  • azza.79
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.