NEWS ‘Impossible to stop’: So how do Panthers’ defence bottle Brisbane’s Reece lightning?

BHQArticleImageReeceWalsh3L

Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns reckon it’s “nearly impossible”. Billy Slater starts by stressing “I didn’t have to defend him”.

And though Penrith’s defence may be one of the stingiest ever seen in rugby league, keeping a lid on Reece Walsh’s pure pace might be their toughest assignment yet.

Walsh credits Slater’s influence as Queensland Origin coach as a key factor in his stunning 2023 campaign – one that would have him pressing for a Dally M medal if not for suspension, and Brisbane preparing a million-dollar extension to be tabled after Sunday’s grand final in any case.

Slater, and possibly Ben Barba in his prime, are the closest recent comparisons to Walsh’s acceleration and swerve at fullback, which has exposed numerous edge defenders who simply don’t have the speed to keep up with him.

If Adam Reynolds is playing deep into the line before finding his No.1, or Brisbane’s Payne Haas and Patrick Carrigan are providing quick play-the-balls or second phase play, “no one can get a hand on [Walsh]” according to Johns.

Fittler confirmed as much on The Sunday Footy Show, pointing to a Selwyn Cobbo try in Origin I when Stephen Crichton and Brian To’o “jammed in perfectly … but [Walsh] still got the ball and hit the winger.”

Walsh’s sweeping runs are straight out of Slater’s own playbook. The Storm champion in turn points to the ‘Double D’ defensive method – where a defender will try to cover a lead runner as well as an intended receiver – to try and counter Walsh’s turn of foot.

“Looking at Penrith, Nathan Cleary, I think he can double defend [Walsh] if he gets the support from his inside,” Slater said.

“It’s got to happen early. If they can get pressure on the ball-players before the ball gets to Reece, then everyone (in the defensive line) can slide off.

“If you’re getting energy from your inside [defence] and they’re putting pressure on the ball-player, you’re going to have that time to slide out and move with your defensive line.

“If that ball-player is going deep into the defensive line, then you’ve got to make a play. But you’ve still got to shut the ball down.”

Easily said. But as 25 try assists, 37 line break assists, and 117 tackle busts – all from just 21 games – attest, not so easily done.

Especially when Walsh is showing hints of one of Slater’s other great footballing traits – a memory like a goldfish, in the best possible way.

Slater’s ability to move on from a mistake almost instantly during his storied career was legendary. Walsh did the same against the Warriors in Saturday’s grand final qualifier, throwing an early intercept that was picked off for a runaway try by Dallin Watene-Zelezniak.

A few minutes later Walsh came down the same edge, Walsh learning from the play to dummy and hit Herbie Farnworth with a short ball to answer in kind.

“He showed his footy IQ,” Slater said. “He didn’t shy away from what happened. He would’ve been disappointed with himself when he threw the intercept, that is the play there. You look at Dallin going up past the football looking for that intercept again.

“Then he went back there and fired the ball again. So he’s not afraid to make a mistake Reece. He’s a bit like Cameron Munster.

“They’ll be disappointed with what they have done and the error they’ve made, but he’s so brave that he’ll go for the play again.”

Sydney Morning Herald

So pleased that the focus is all on Reece at the minute as he laps the attention up.

Meanwhile the brains trust at the Broncos will be eating, sleeping and memorizing the structures the Parra team and to a lesser extent the Queensland origin team had in place to shut down Penrith and Cleary. I think Slater had quite a brilliant setup to nullify Cleary and the Bronco boys who were in on that plan will be sharing that around this week.

I can't really find the words to express just how important the forwards battle will be on Sunday. it's whoever wins that will win the game IMO. For Penrith, their biggest weapon in the forward (Liam Martin) pack is also their most likely weakest link. The way he plays is full-on kamikaze. If he manages to survive, he creates havoc and gives Cleary so much room to work in. If things go wrong he is susceptible to concussion and when he is not there it takes so much time and space away from Cleary.

Another player that does not get much attention is their fullback Edwards. He might not be as flash as Reece, but the guy is a full-on iron man. He is the living, breathing Duracell bunny. When he is off his game the riff invariably falter. Without his yards coming out of their own end their other backs struggle to keep the set going. I'm sure Riki and Staggs will be mad keen to get at him on the first kick down field.

Their centre Crichton is also a potential double edged sword. When he's on he's electric, but he's a confidence player and if he stuffs up early he tends to let it eat at him. Time and time again in origin he was exposed in defence and he slowly but surely self-destructed. I'm sure our brains trust will be keen to replicate that.

If the refs keep the stoppages to a minimum by pinging both teams early, this should be an absolute ball-tearer of a game.

I think I've chosen the wrong week to give up heroine!😱

Another thing I've noticed is Edwards favours playing and coming out of his right hand side whereas Reyno usually kicks to our right hand side. This will not suit Edwards at all if he is constantly being made to play his most favoured side when coming out of trouble.

Another thing I've noticed is Edwards favours playing and coming out of his right hand side whereas Reyno usually kicks to our right hand side. This will not suit Edwards at all if he is constantly being made to play his most favoured side when coming out of trouble.

Right foot steppers don`t like the left side as much .
If they step they are in danger of getting too close to the side line .
Right side and their step opens up the middle of the field .

Uncle Wayne used that tactic against Billy Slater in 06 .

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Jedhead
  • Organix
  • thenry
  • KateBroncos1812
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.