NEWS ‘Standout option’ to Broncos’ big halfback dilemma

Have we seen Milf at fullback with solid halves though?

Not really, so that's a judgement call. Same with Isaako 'never' being good enough.

I think Bird fits better at six than one, in terms of stop gap.

Issako isnt good enough imo and he never will be. Said it from day one and so far i've seen absoultely nothing from him to change my mind, so i'm standing by that. All he did at Souths pretty much was run, he had nothing else to his game and i dont see any progression from him to tell me otherwise.

Milf, as i said before, just isnt disciplined enough in terms of his preparation and with his nutrition and fitness. He has the ability in spades, but until he stops guzzling down soft drinks he wont be a top line full back. Be interesting to see how he comes back for next year in terms of his fitness and body shape if we are banking on him at fullback. He needs to drop 4 or 5 kilos imo if thats where we want to play him to get that spark back in his running game.

Issako isnt good enough imo and he never will be. Said it from day one and so far i've seen absoultely nothing from him to change my mind, so i'm standing by that. All he did at Souths pretty much was run, he had nothing else to his game and i dont see any progression from him to tell me otherwise.

Milf, as i said before, just isnt disciplined enough in terms of his preparation and with his nutrition and fitness. He has the ability in spades, but until he stops guzzling down soft drinks he wont be a top line full back. Be interesting to see how he comes back for next year in terms of his fitness and body shape if we are banking on him at fullback. He needs to drop 4 or 5 kilos imo if thats where we want to play him to get that spark back in his running game.

I'm giving Milford next year, fullback or six, to own this team. I've been his biggest supporter here, but if he can't/won't do it, I'll be leading the call for him to go.

Exactly, and isaako has been pretty bad this but so have a lot of them. He has all the attributes of the modern day 1 and was brought in as the next 1, so give him the offseason to have a fair crack at it.

I’m sorry but I don’t see any of the attributes of a modern day 1 in Isaako. He isn’t quick or elusive, he doesn’t have strong carries or break tackles, he can barely catch a bomb, his defensive positioning is very suspect, he has shown no ball playing ability, and I’ve never seen him sniff around the play for an offload. He has a powerful boot but I wouldn’t say that’s a feature of most modern fullbacks.

In all seriousness, what attributes do you see in him that suggests to you that he’d make a good fullback? Imo He’s like a budget josh Hoffman who can kick far.

Can we break the bank for Val Holmes to lure him back?
And as added incentive to cut short his NFL dream, give him a house, a car, a boat and the captaincy.
Leave Milford and Dearden in the halves. Axe or drop to reggies - Boyd and Macca whilst giving Gillo and Oates 3 games of next year to improve.

Can we break the bank for Val Holmes to lure him back?
And as added incentive to cut short his NFL dream, give him a house, a car, a boat and the captaincy.
Leave Milford and Dearden in the halves. Axe or drop to reggies - Boyd and Macca whilst giving Gillo and Oates 3 games of next year to improve.
It sounds like we have no money. All our money is tied up in forwards and then Milford, Boyd, Bird and Oates. At least Oates is off contract and hopefully won't be renewed. We really need Boyd and Macca to **** off or we are doomed for another year to be honest.

I’m sorry but I don’t see any of the attributes of a modern day 1 in Isaako. He isn’t quick or elusive, he doesn’t have strong carries or break tackles, he can barely catch a bomb, his defensive positioning is very suspect, he has shown no ball playing ability, and I’ve never seen him sniff around the play for an offload. He has a powerful boot but I wouldn’t say that’s a feature of most modern fullbacks.

In all seriousness, what attributes do you see in him that suggests to you that he’d make a good fullback? Imo He’s like a budget josh Hoffman who can kick far.
I agree. Isaako has flashed his attacking talent every now and then, but his defence all round has been absolutely horrible. Even last season it was bad, this year his defence got even worse.

I know he's had to deal with some very unfortunate personal issues with his father's health, but strictly speaking on his on field performance, I wouldn't want him as the heir to the #1 jersey. I haven't seen him play fullback in the lower grades, but in the 2 games he got to start there last season, he didn't showcase any ball playing ability. Small sample, but nothing to suggest he should definitely be next in line. Imo, he should be fighting to keep his wing spot.

I will rue the day if Brisbane ever imports half its squad to fix a lack of planning.

1 Milford
6 Bird
7 Dearden
9 Turpin

Do it.

He is quick and he is elusive, he is also a strong runner. I'm sure back in cup he was close to leading meters gained, he was actually pretty good at 1. People are saying milf hasn't had the chance to shine because we need a dominant 1, same can be said about isaako on the wing. Most of those things are difficult to see from a position he shouldn't be in and also defensively, that right side has been changed so regularly.
In saying all this peresie even might be a smokey for 1.

There's a reason Jack Bird was overlooked by 2 coaches in the halves position. Simply put, he's not any good in the halves. Nikorima was above Bird in the pecking order for that position and I don't even rate Nikorima all that highly.

Last edited:
There's a reason Jack Bird was overlooked by 2 coaches in the halves position. Simply put, he's not any good in the halves. Nikorima was above Bird in the pecking order for that position and I don't even rate Nikorima all that highly.

But if he's done alright at fullback surely he could be a running six? Only do short kicking? Along side an experienced seven perhaps.

What about Maloney? Paul Kent from Daily Telegraph and NRL 360 reckons it is not too late? He would be the perfect foil for Milford wouldn't he?
Well you would think that's total garbage.

He's off to the Catalans on what would be a big deal for I think 3 years...

Also getting players from super league usually requires a transfer fee which goes on the cap.

If it were to happen we'd be looking at about $1.2m for the next 3 years... or more pending the transfer fee that Catalans would be after

Kent has some hard on thinking we can line up a club in super league for Darius (so he's probably thinking some trade deal)... but he's totally lost the plot if he thinks a) any club in super league would actually want him, and b) Darius would uproot his life for 1 year to keep his career going.

Last edited:
Well you would think that's total garbage.

He's off to the Catalans on what would be a big deal for I think 3 years...

Also getting players from super league usually requires a transfer fee which goes on the cap.

If it were to happen we'd be looking at about $1.2m for the next 3 years... or more pending the transfer fee that Catalans would be after

Kent has some hard on thinking we can line up a club in super league for Darius (so he's probably thinking some trade deal)... but he's totally lost the plot if he thinks a) any club in super league would actually want him, and b) Darius would uproot his life for 1 year to keep his career going.
Didn’t Gidley go alright?
That situation reminds me of what we currently have with Boyd. It was pretty sad watching Gidley bumble through his last NRL season. I didn’t think he could get a run with the Woy Woy Roosters, but he did ok in the S.L.

Any ideas on how Perese would go in the halves. He has speed to burn but is probably too short for the wing. He seems solid enough to defend there and with his union background he must have a decent kicking game. Just a thought. A newer bigger version of Milf maybe and he’s under contract. He would need an experienced half like Kenny Wilson to call the shots.

Any ideas on how Perese would go in the halves. He has speed to burn but is probably too short for the wing. He seems solid enough to defend there and with his union background he must have a decent kicking game. Just a thought. A newer bigger version of Milf maybe and he’s under contract. He would need an experienced half like Kenny Wilson to call the shots.
Would be a better fullback than half you'd think.

Lockyer has been saying Milford lacks the fitness for a Fullback and needs a Full pre Season before he can play it properly, I would hold on that for now.

We need a Half though, we don't currently have what it takes there.

I am of the firm belief we should of signed Maloney however we could sign Green from Warriors as he is out of contract(I think)and would be perfect for us for a season.

Otherwise I would probably be looking in England or something, Canberra have had alot of success getting players from there lately.

Wouldn't take Croft he looks like another basket case, and Foran is too risky.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Waynesaurus
  • Cavalo
  • Dash
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  • broncsgoat
  • jarro65
  • marw
  • Sproj
  • FACTHUNT
  • RodF
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Tim K
  • ezpz
  • azza.79
  • Strop
  • lynx000
  • BroncosAlways
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.