NEWS ‘Standout option’ to Broncos’ big halfback dilemma

Bird isn't the answer for fullback imo
Much prefer him at 6 or center, milf and isaako to fight it out for one if not go to the market. Bird is like Wighton in my eyes and is not what you want in a 1 but everything you want in a running 6 or center.
We need to stop manufacturing players
Least of all manufacturing them in one of the most important positions on the field in the modern game.

If we sign either Sezer or Foran I will be happy as a pig in shit (as long as the deadwood is cut loose too of course). I don't see the point in pairing Croft with Dearden if that is the plan. From what I've seen of Croft, he is pretty hit and miss. If Bellamy couldn't get him firing, how the **** is Seibold going to do it!

I would even go as far as to give Foran the captaincy. I don't think he would take any shit and seems to take pride in his performances. Griity as all hell.

Last edited:
An old head in the halves like Foran or Green would help us the most. Maloney would’ve been a good pick up but apparently he turned us down.

If we got Foran and Deardon in the halves I’d be happy to preservers with Milf at fullback or better yet move him on for a fearless hard running fullback. When is RTS off contract? There’s an answer to both our spine and leadership issues.
[automerge]1568689256[/automerge]
We have to be smart with our roster and i think Bird is the best option for fullback we have. He loves being around the ball, Has the ball playing skill, has plenty of physicality and effort in his play, he would need to improve his fitness to play the role though. Move Milf back to six and get in a proper halfback.

I actually think we need a left center as well as a halfback. We cant keep relying on kids. I actually wouldn't be averse to bringing in Morris if possible for a year. Would still do a solid job for us.

Michael Jennings is off contract next year

Last edited:
To counter that though, he definitely wont be cheap and he does have a fairly troubling injury history that only increases the risk of such a move.

Depends on how desperate the Dogs are to transform their roster.

Least of all manufacturing them in one of the most important positions on the field in the modern game.
Exactly, and isaako has been pretty bad this but so have a lot of them. He has all the attributes of the modern day 1 and was brought in as the next 1, so give him the offseason to have a fair crack at it.

Fellas, feel free to knock this idea on the head pretty quickly if thats what it deserves, but is it worth taking a gamble on Kane Elgey if we couldn't get Foran or Sezer? I read last week he is considering retirement this year due to a lack of opportunities at Manly, plus he is obviously stuck behind DCE.

He used to look pretty promising at the Tits. Too big a gamble?

Last edited:
Fellas, feel free to knock this idea on the head pretty quickly if thats what it deserves, but is it worth taking a gamble on Kane Elgey? I read last week he is considering retirement this year due to a lack of opportunities at Manly, plus he is obviously stuck behind DCE.

What about Maloney? Paul Kent from Daily Telegraph and NRL 360 reckons it is not too late? He would be the perfect foil for Milford wouldn't he?

What about Maloney? Paul Kent from Daily Telegraph and NRL 360 reckons it is not too late? He would be the perfect foil for Milford wouldn't he?

Pretty sure Jimmy is off the Catalans.

Bird would be the slowest fullback in the comp
I think he is actually pretty quick, watching him chase down some kicks earlier in the year I was a bit surprised by his pace.. His long stride Hodges type running style may be a bit deceiving..

Fellas, feel free to knock this idea on the head pretty quickly if thats what it deserves, but is it worth taking a gamble on Kane Elgey if we couldn't get Foran or Sezer? I read last week he is considering retirement this year due to a lack of opportunities at Manly, plus he is obviously stuck behind DCE.

Giphy 17

I wanted Hastings when he was leaving Manly and wasn't asking much money. This is who i would go for but that ship may have sailed even though he has a get out clause to come back to NRL.

I also wanted Drinkwater (Most people were of this opinion too) and our recruiters didn't do anything.

We have no First grade fullback in or 30 unless one of our youngsters has that skill and I am unaware. Even then they might be a bit short of being ready for First Grade.

We need to try and get any or all of Boyd, Macca, Gillett, Bird off the books.

Gillett is not giving value but is giving plenty of effort. Not his fault (injury) but we aren't getting the value of his wage. I would not force him on as he deserves to stay based on what he has given the club.. If England appealed to him I think it is worth considering.

I think Milford is worth sticking with. He just needs the right person beside him and being left to play his natural game.

If we could get all 4 off the books that would be great. Bird has some upside if he can stay on the field but if he stayed next year I would want to move him the following year.

Replacements- Hastings or Croft, A First Grade fullback, base price players.

We desperately need another half on the books but most importantly we need a proper halves coach. Just patch things up with Walters for **** sakes and offer him the job. He did wonders with Hunt and Milf in 15.

Yeah , a couple of times when he first came onto the scene. No thanks from me , I want a legitimate fullback (papa,tedesco type). I was hoping milf might come good, but as I said back then he is lazy . Bird at 6 or center for me , if he stays that is.
Calling Milford lazy is the worst take I've seen. The guy tries his arse off and is essentially playmaking for 3 out there every week. You've all gotten so used to him being the only option in our team you go off him when the opposition rightly shut him down, marking him "lazy"

Get real

Much prefer him at 6 or center, milf and isaako to fight it out for one if not go to the market. Bird is like Wighton in my eyes and is not what you want in a 1 but everything you want in a running 6 or center.
That's putting us exactly back when it was Hoffman and Barba as our only choice fullback.

I'm struggling to see a better option on our books. Issako will never be good enough, and i really dont think Milf has the dedication to make a go of it. I think Bird is about our best stop gap option for now because we are in bigger need of getting some cap space ready to get a halfback in. Its not like Bird is totally foreign to fullback. He is just one of those blokes who would more than likely do a good job anywhere he can get involved and get his hands on the ball.

Elgey is more than likely retiring .

Calling Milford lazy is the worst take I've seen. The guy tries his arse off and is essentially playmaking for 3 out there every week. You've all gotten so used to him being the only option in our team you go off him when the opposition rightly shut him down, marking him "lazy"

Get real

That's what I said lazy , not that he doesn't try hard. But you certainly won't see him bounce back off the ground and have another shot. The guy hasn't got it in him , he will never be a slater, tedesco type.

I'm struggling to see a better option on our books. Issako will never be good enough, and i really dont think Milf has the dedication to make a go of it. I think Bird is about our best stop gap option for now because we are in bigger need of getting some cap space ready to get a halfback in. Its not like Bird is totally foreign to fullback. He is just one of those blokes who would more than likely do a good job anywhere he can get involved and get his hands on the ball.

Have we seen Milf at fullback with solid halves though?

Not really, so that's a judgement call. Same with Isaako 'never' being good enough.

I think Bird fits better at six than one, in terms of stop gap.

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Evander
  • Justwin
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Dazza 92
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • HarryAllan7
  • Bongo
  • Lozza
  • Fitzy
  • ostin86
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.