NEWS ‘We put it to bed’: Walters shuts down punishment talk as duo ready to fire

BHQArticleImageAdamReynolds5L

Broncos coach Kevin Walters has refused to be drawn on the punishment handed down to Sydney enforcer Spencer Leniu amid the drawn-out scrutiny of the Las Vegas controversy.

Leniu was handed an eight-game suspension by the NRL judiciary after pleading guilty to using a racial slur directed at Brisbane five-eighth Ezra Mam.

The former Panthers prop gave his case on Monday night, expressing his remorse while stating he was unaware of the context the term “monkey” carried in the Indigenous community.

He also referred to his own experiences being on the receiving end of such verbal barrages without taking offence.

Some, including Indigenous rugby league icon Johnathan Thurston, felt the ban did not go far enough, but Walters would not weigh in on the verdict.

“I won’t make a comment on that, I’ll leave that to the NRL,” Walters said.

“Did I not say before I won’t make any comment about it?” he stated when pressed again.

“We put it to bed at the end of last week when it was handed over to the NRL, so where our focus this last three or four days has been on is the game tomorrow night, which is really important to us as a club.”

Walters has named a largely unchanged side for Thursday night’s clash with the Rabbitohs at Suncorp Stadium – the only shift being Corey Jensen’s move to starting prop with Marty Taupau reverting to the bench.

Upon his arrival from Las Vegas, Walters initially suggested he and his coaching staff would rethink the make-up of the team – particularly regarding the bench – given how edge forward Brendan Piakura’s early concussion forced star lock Pat Carrigan out wide.

The Roosters from that point dominated the battle through the middle of the field, and the Brisbane mentor said the likes of Xavier Willison and Jaiyden Hunt – who had trained in the backrow during the preseason – would come into consideration.

But when asked why he opted to stick with the same 17, Walters remained coy.

“Well, that’s for everyone to find out tomorrow night, isn’t it?”

Despite concern surrounding minor knee niggles to prop Payne Haas and halfback Adam Reynolds, Walters confirmed the pair would take their places at Suncorp Stadium.

Reynolds will be determined to produce a standout performance against his former club, having come under criticism for the Broncos’ inability to close out the final 20 minutes of last year’s grand final.

In Las Vegas he defended with vigour, making 29 tackles for just one miss, but his kicking game lacked the depth that was a trademark of his 13-year career.

Walters denied the end of the 2023 campaign had impacted his maestro’s performances, and expected the premiership-winner to overcome their round one defeat.

“We’ve got a lot of faith and confidence in Reyno, playing against your old club that’s always a big occasion for everybody, and Reyno’s no different,” Walters said.

“I’m sure he’ll be right to go tomorrow night and lead the side the way Adam can lead.

“I don’t think the end of last year impacted him. For Reyno it’s about playing his best football and how he does that is he passes well, he kicks well, he defends well – it’s pretty simple for him and that’s what we expect him to do tomorrow night.”

Sydney Morning Herald

Active Now

• marw
  • Midean
  • Brotherdu
  • Fatboy
  • Pablo
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Spike
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.