20:40 Rule to be discussed and maybe trialed.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/11/29/coaches-to-discuss-new-2040-kicking-rule/

NRL coaches are set to consider whether to trial a proposed 20:40 rule at their end-of-season meeting in Sydney on Thursday.
The idea of a 20:40 rule, which would enable the attacking team to win a scrum feed inside their opponents' 40-metre zone by kicking the ball into touch from behind their own 20-metre line, was raised at November’s competition committee meeting.
The rule would operate similar to the 40:20 kick, which was introduced in 1997 and enables a team to win a scrum feed within 20 metres of the opposition's try line from a kick inside their own 40-metre zone.

The ball must bounce in the field of play before going out and the scrum will be set in line with where it passed over the sideline.
While a 40:20 is a great attacking ploy, a 20:40 kick would be a good way to relieve pressure for a team battling to get out of its own end.
If adopted, the rule could help open the game up as wingers would potentially need to drop back in anticipation of a kick, meaning there there would be fewer players in the defensive line at that part of the field.

It could be an effective tactic from a scrum win inside a team’s own 20-metre zone as only seven defenders are allowed to stand out of the scrum and it is unlikely any team could afford to have its wingers and fullback behind the defensive line in case of a 20:40 kick.
Taking the punt from inside your own 20-metre zone would be risky for kickers but the rewards could be high for a team trapped near their own line, particularly late in a match if a quick try was needed.
Players are able to win a scrum feed from a 20-metre restart by putting the ball over the sideline, as long as it lands in the field of play first, with Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans executing the ploy in the 2013 grand final against Sydney Roosters.

Former North Queensland playmaker Johnathan Thurston is another to have successfully taken advantage of the tactic from a 20-metre restart.
The introduction of a 20:40 rule would not require any new markings on the field as the lines are the same as for a 40:20 kick.
It is understood any trial would take place outside of the NRL competition.

I hate it.

Just keep the 40/20 rule. If teams are struggling to get out of their own end, that's their problem.

I like it. Not just as a high-risk, high-reward way to escape your 20, but by making the defence have to anticipate multiple scenarios.

Might force our big country bumpkin winger to stay on his fucking wing too.

I like it. Not just as a high-risk, high-reward way to escape your 20, but by making the defence have to anticipate multiple scenarios.

Agreed, tactical kicking from scrums/early in your own 20 is something I really miss in the modern game, it provides different options both in attack and defence in situations like a scrum, instead of the stale, predictable version we get so often in the game that many fans including here complain about.

Why not just make it a broad 40m rule? If you’re good enough to kick it 40m down field from anywhere and get enough angle on it to put it into touch, you get the chance to retain possession from a scrum?

Last edited:
Why not just make it a broad 40m rule? If you’re good enough to kick it 40m down field from anywhere and get enough angle on it to put it into touch, you get the chance to retain possession from a scrum?

The useless blokes with the whistle would need to go upstairs for ever touch finder. They are flat out working out what 10M is.

I think it would remove a bit of the skill tbh. Get the guy with the biggest boot to just kick the shit out of it.

I'm not a fan. Teams pinning their opposition in their own 20 with great defence and extra effort should continue to be rewarded.

Every new rule seems to change things in favour of attack.

Last edited:
**** me the media wouldn’t even let the refs enforce existing rules so let’s add some more
Yeah, once the media broke the refs, the Roosters and the Storm rose to the top of the pile. There’s no surprises there with who bends the rules the most.

Just allow it and then have 30:30 rule too. If kickers are good enough to execute it then fair play to them.

A lot of merit in both sides to this argument TBH.

I reckon it’s a good idea to give it a go in the trials, see how many teams actually have the thought to try it and go from there.

Could benefit us pretty well though, Milf has shown fantastic improvements in his kicking game over the last 12 months.

I still remember the time we let Gene Miles do clearance kicking when we were stick deep in our own half.

Old mate would just oooof the **** out of it, with roughly the same accuracy as s drunken sailor pulling out and blowing his load over an ugly root.

I reckon Gene would love having a crack at this rule.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Aldo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.