2014 Broncos Season

Re: Offseason 2013/14

Last year for Griffin, wonder if he'll do anything different this pre-season.

Lets hope it is. Surely we will make play for a better coach regardless whether we make the finals or not .

I don't share people's confidence that things will be different under a "better coach". Sure we have not had a successful year by bronco standards but I'm not sure how any of us can compare those apples and oranges.as far as I'm concerned a coach only get players to buy into a culture , and I'm not sure AG is far from the mark in this regard. I know when I played if there was a problem with the coach, it's normally the players you lose first.

I don't share people's confidence that things will be different under a "better coach". Sure we have not had a successful year by bronco standards but I'm not sure how any of us can compare those apples and oranges.as far as I'm concerned a coach only get players to buy into a culture , and I'm not sure AG is far from the mark in this regard. I know when I played if there was a problem with the coach, it's normally the players you lose first.

You do have a point, but I think it is a bit of both with our club.

Look at what Robinson has done at the roosters, sure, he has the cattle, but he also has turned them from a bunch of lazy pricks into the hardest working forward pack in the comp. A good coach is the easier way of making a difference, changing all the playing staff much harder.

I agree . But it's hard to make judgements from a distance. I reckon SBW has leaked into that group.

I don't share people's confidence that things will be different under a "better coach". Sure we have not had a successful year by bronco standards but I'm not sure how any of us can compare those apples and oranges.as far as I'm concerned a coach only get players to buy into a culture , and I'm not sure AG is far from the mark in this regard. I know when I played if there was a problem with the coach, it's normally the players you lose first.[/

Well, we have the same coach albeit a different coaching staff, and for mine, it is their job to create a football team who, by the their performance as a team, create a winning culture where it matters: on the field.

At at this point in time, my view is that we have a bunch of players in search of a team. Get that right, and you're on the way to a culture worth buying into

As someone on these forums who is associated with the broncos alluded to Griffin couldn't motivate the players this year. IMO the reason the players wont turn on him is because they were all being picked regardless of their subpar performances. If Griffin befriends his players fair enough, but not to the point where you are choosing loyalty over quality.

I don't share people's confidence that things will be different under a "better coach". Sure we have not had a successful year by bronco standards but I'm not sure how any of us can compare those apples and oranges.as far as I'm concerned a coach only get players to buy into a culture , and I'm not sure AG is far from the mark in this regard. I know when I played if there was a problem with the coach, it's normally the players you lose first.[/

Well, we have the same coach albeit a different coaching staff, and for mine, it is their job to create a football team who, by the their performance as a team, create a winning culture where it matters: on the field.

At at this point in time, my view is that we have a bunch of players in search of a team. Get that right, and you're on the way to a culture worth buying into
yes. well put. Let's not forget we were competitive , mostly,with the better sides this year, with players out of position and lacking any real strike power JH aside. Roosters only put 1 try on us. I think we're closer than we think. In short I think there are few degrees between success and failure in this competition.

As someone on these forums who is associated with the broncos alluded to Griffin couldn't motivate the players this year. IMO the reason the players wont turn on him is because they were all being picked regardless of their subpar performances. If Griffin befriends his players fair enough, but not to the point where you are choosing loyalty over quality.
I agree , it's ultimately the administrations responsibility to create this culture. I think it comes down to self belief and belief in the team. This is the last few % between 4th and 12th. These players are all very competitive. They have to be to reach the level that they have, but we all know that this game is played between the ears. I think it will be interesting to see must a small change of playing roster will do for the belief of the side . If it does have the effect I think will , we will all owe Hook an apology, myself included.

I agree , it's ultimately the administrations responsibility to create this culture. I think it comes down to self belief and belief in the team. This is the last few % between 4th and 12th. These players are all very competitive. They have to be to reach the level that they have, but we all know that this game is played between the ears. I think it will be interesting to see must a small change of playing roster will do for the belief of the side . If it does have the effect I think will , we will all owe Hook an apology, myself included.

He does not deserve an apology, because he has dished up 2 awful seasons. He was nothing but incompetent this year.

Remember to change your pessimism if he does well.

Fingers crossed Griffin's new assistants address our overall lack of fitness. If we can lift the squad to perform for 80 minutes results will improve quickly, imo.

We still need a decent half to partner Hunt. That's the main concern.

I think the players become complacent because they know there isn't someone knocking on the door wanting there position. If there is depth in all positions and Griffin drops players when they don't perform you will find a different more hungry team which is exactly what the roosters and Souths are

Bang on Maddo. Roster, Roster, Roster .another good post. You're on fire mate.

I think the players become complacent because they know there isn't someone knocking on the door wanting there position. If there is depth in all positions and Griffin drops players when they don't perform you will find a different more hungry team which is exactly what the roosters and Souths are

Nailed it! Nice post man

whether we make the finals or not depends almost entirely on the coaching staff, not any individual player

Well I was just about to say that the Broncos seemingly made a bunch of positive off-field changes.

Obviously you need a little bit of both but players like Barba and Milford can make a huge difference.

2014 Gains: Ben Barba (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, 2016), Martin Kennedy (Sydney Roosters, 2016)

2014 Losses: Delroy Berryman (Manly Sea Eagles), Luke Capewell (Penrith Panthers), Corey Norman (Parramatta Eels), Scott Prince (retired), Lama Tasi (Salford Red Devils), Peter Wallace (Penrith Panthers)

Re-Signed: Matt Gillett (2016), Jake Granville (2014), Ben Hunt (2015), Jack Reed (2017), Ashley Taylor (2016)

Off Contract 2013: Joe Bond, Jordan Drew, Liam Georgetown, Denan Kemp, Brendon Gibb, Lachlan Maranta, Nick Slyney, Jarrod Wallace, Aaron Whitchurch, Scott Anderson, Kurt Baptiste, Dale Copley, Mitchell Dodds, Dunamis Lui, Cameron Cullen, Luke Dalziel-Don, Chris McLean, Francis Molo, Caleb Timu

It would've been very good for Thiaday if he missed selection in the Kangaroos squad for the World Cup. It would've sent him the message in a bitter way that he isn't performing as well as he can be at club level and he needs to lift his game considerably if he is to be considered, most likely he would comeback the next season and absolutely play his guts out and play at his potential.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • winslow_wong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  • Jazza
  • BroncoFan94
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • bb_gun
  • marw
  • broncos4life
  • Rah88
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  • LittleDavey
  • Mustafur
  • Mr Fourex
  • Justwin
  • Broncosgirl
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.