2014 Broncos Season

Re: Offseason 2013/14

Anyone notice how highly thaiday polled in the dally m backrower. Second, ahead of sbw

Anyone notice how highly thaiday polled in the dally m backrower. Second, ahead of sbw

Thats an insult to SBW and any other secondrower that was actually in form.

Thought I'd start a thread that encompassed the whole 2014 season.

Interesting notes from the first day of training. McCullough wins the beep test. Guess who comes second - Hannant!!! Barba offered counselling by the club (as you'd expect).

Ben Barba begins pre-season training with Brisbane Broncos, offered counselling by club | News.com.au

BRISBANE coach Anthony Griffin says the club will offer counselling to Ben Barba to ensure the big-name recruit does not go off the rails in his career-defining move to the Broncos.

Barba was among several fresh faces to report for the start of Brisbane's pre-season on Wednesday morning, with Stewart Mills (Cronulla) and Todd Lowrie (Warriors) also meeting their new Broncos teammates.
Hooker Andrew McCullough stole the show at Purtell Park, winning the beep test to be crowned Brisbane's fittest man, while prop Ben Hannant also impressed, finishing second.
Several of the club's big guns were absent, with Sam Thaiday and Corey Parker on World Cup duty, while ace centre Justin Hodges is recovering from a ruptured Achilles.
But all eyes were on Barba, who did some light running in isolation as he recovers from ankle surgery following the finals mishap that ended his career at Canterbury on a sombre note.
The fullback sensation applied ice to his ankle after the session, but it was only precautionary, with Barba ahead of schedule and eyeing a return to full-time training in early December.
For now, Griffin insists Barba's mental health is of equal concern. The 24-year-old admits he "lost control of who I was" during his nightmare 2013 campaign at the Bulldogs, and the Broncos are ready to provide professional help to ensure Barba flourishes on and off the field.

"If he requires that (counselling) ... yep, we'll obviously help with that," Griffin said.

"I know Paul White (Broncos CEO) and Andrew Gee (operations chief) have been in constant contact with Ben and his family to make sure they are settling in well.
"As with any of our other players, whatever they require, we'll make sure he has everything he needs to make sure he is happy and plays his best footy.
"We would like to think we look after our players and whether it's Ben Barba or anyone else, we make sure they are catered for."
Griffin is pleased with the manner in which Barba has adjusted to life at his new club, but is wary of placing too much pressure on the Queensland Origin hopeful.
"It's nice to see to him here, he is ahead of schedule with his recovery," he said.
"The key for Ben is that he just concentrates on his recovery and we all don't get ahead of ourselves and start talking about what he might or might not do on the field.
"He's had a tough year both physically and emotionally, he has been with the Bulldogs for a long time and he's at a new club. The real key is to make sure we look after him on and off the field.
"He is doing a good job settling in, he has been helping our development people at clinics so he is already making a contribution. He is settling in well with his family.

"There is no pressure or expectations on him."
Griffin is confident Barba's arrival will not force Josh Hoffman out of the club, despite the Kiwi Test fullback conveying his disenchantment prior to his departure to the World Cup.
"I'm not concerned, no," Griffin said.
"The only thing I keep saying about that issue is that no matter who it is, whether it is Josh Hoffman or Ben Barba, they are players in a team and they will play where it best suits their team at the time.
"That is as clear as I can make it. We are a team here, everyone is accountable to each other and I will pick the team on what I think best suits at the time.
"The rest will take care of itself."
Griffin said he was impressed with the fitness of his troops, who have been issued a program by new high-performance manager Alex Corvo.
"Alex has been in contact with them via email since he has had the job and they have all been given targets and some preliminary work before they got here," he said.
"It was a little fitness test for them today and this group probably won't hit full training until Monday.
"It was just about testing them today.
"They did really well, they hit a pretty good mark, it's one of those things they have to go through every year, you have to start somewhere and they all did a pretty good job today."

good to see hannant up there. he needs a big year. macca too. i get that its just a beep test but might indicate they've both been keeping up the fitness since the end of 2013 season

No mention of Martin Kennedy .....?

He's a border line fat ****. Should be the first one in line for pre-season training IMO.

No mention of Martin Kennedy .....?

He's a border line fat ****. Should be the first one in line for pre-season training IMO.

Apparently we signed him because he's a big player. Get rid of that, and he'll just be Dodds at 3 times the pay.

Apparently we signed him because he's a big player. Get rid of that, and he'll just be Dodds at 3 times the pay.

He was almost selected in the QLD team and probably should have been on form. Didn't get back to that form after his injury though so hopefully he can with a good preseason.

Dodds had about 3 good games last season before getting injured, some of his first good games in his career, Kennedy has been solid, good, verging on very good for the last couple of seasons at the Roosters, even being 18th man for Queensland.

Even if he lost a bit of weight to gain some speed, motor... I'd happily pay him 3x what Dodds is earning.

Storm supporters were pissed off about losing Corvo, his track record speaks for itself.

We will at least be fitter next year which is going to improve our line speed and stop fading out of games.

Last edited:
This may well be a sign Macca has finally pulled his finger out and wants the hooker gig for the full 80 minutes. All he needs to do is take a leaf out of Jake Friend's book in how to turn out as a young gun hooker.

This may well be a sign Macca has finally pulled his finger out and wants the hooker gig for the full 80 minutes. All he needs to do is take a leaf out of Jake Friend's book in how to turn out as a young gun hooker.

What, before realising his talents, he needs to balls up so badly that he almost ends up in jail? ;)

Haha I probably could have explained that better.

The signing of Carvo will probably benefit him most of anyone in the team.... Combine that with the off season signings we will end up with a strong bench so that will mean more minutes from bench players and less tackling for Macca.

Hopefully this will finally be his season!

I think maccas biggest issue is that he is way to predictable. He needs to change is game up a bit.

I think maccas biggest issue is that he is way to predictable. He needs to change is game up a bit.

Now that we have Barba and assuming we snare Milford I'd probably prefer it if he played a safer brand of footy, focus on getting the forwards rolling up the middle and leave the spark and creation to what will be one of the most potent backlines in the NRL.

I'd love to see the Broncos playing a lot more old school type footy with the 6 (Milf/Barba/Whoever) playing deeper off the halfback rather then leaving the halves a side of the fields each... I think we've proven over and over again since 2006 that we can't beat the premiership heavyweights anymore using the same pedestrian second man play that the likes of Melbourne and Manly have perfected. Now we have some genuine spark out wide I'd love to see some more innovative plays from Hook... Weather hes capable of that is another question.

Last edited:
Now that we have Barba and assuming we snare Milford I'd probably prefer it if he played a safer brand of footy, focus on getting the forwards rolling up the middle and leave the spark and creation to what will be one of the most potent backlines in the NRL.

I'd love to see the Broncos playing a lot more old school type footy with the 6 (Milf/Barba/Whoever) playing deeper off the halfback rather then leaving the halves a side of the fields each... I think we've proven over and over again since 2006 that we can't beat the premiership heavyweights anymore using the same pedestrian second man play that the likes of Melbourne and Manly have perfected. Now we have some genuine spark out wide I'd love to see some more innovative plays from Hook... Weather hes capable of that is another question.

Whilst i agree with you, there is no flare to Hunt, and from what i have seen of Milford he isn't necessarily a playmaker. But nevertheless i agree with what you have said, well put indeed.

Active Now

• Organix
  • Aldo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncsgoat
  • Scorchie
  • Fozz
  • lynx000
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • Mr Fourex
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Justwin
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Foordy
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.