2017 Line-up

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I just need to think about next year.

We have some big holes to fill next year and it is going to be interesting how Wayne puts the puzzle together.

This is the starting team I would pick for round 1:

1. Darius Boyd

Obvious choice, he is best person to have at fullback arguably in the world.

2. Corey Oates

Corey may make some error, but he gets our sets off to a great start and is always dangerous with ball in hand.

3. Jordan Kahu

Great defensively and has a bit more spark than Opacic.

4. James Roberts

Quick and strong, I think he will hit his best next year.

5. Jonus Pearson

I just want to see this guy get some consistent game time and see how he builds into the season.

6. Anthony Milford

His is our five-eight and will be for Queensland and Australia also.

7. Ben Hunt

Yes he didn't have a great 2016, but I am backing him to have a huge 2017.

8. Josh McGuire

He is a Queensland and Australian player and I think prop is his best position.

9. Andrew McCullough

I like Macca, does lack some spark, but he will do the job.

10. Adam Blair

Prop is his best position and he showed against the Cowboys that he is a hugely influential player for us.

11. Sam Thaiday

Has shown this season that this is his best position, needs to stay here.

12. Matt Gillett

Rock in defence on that side.

13. Tevita Pangai

Hopefully he has a huge off season and gets his fitness right and then I want to see him develop into a Taumalolo style player that I know he can. Using his size, footwork and passing game to terrorise teams.

Bench

14. Kodi Nikorima

We need some spark of the bench and to offer something different from Macca.

15. Herman Ese'ese

Just give him consistent game time off the bench and he will be damaging and just what we need.

16. George Fai

Same as Ese'ese, just needs time to build and he will be able to continue our go forward when we need it most.

17. Jai Arrow

Was not sure who to put here, but thought Jai deserved it. Great player but just lacks something that I think you need in the NRL these days, maybe a bit of spark.

Another option is Mead onto Oates wing and Oates onto the bench to develop as a second rower.

The reason Thurston is able to carve up is because he is behind a dominant forward pack and with the pack I have named, I think this will give Hunt and Milford the best platform to dominate from.

This is spot on! Im loving TPJ what a talent he is! Forgot about big george also he's a big bopper. One question! Joe ofahengaue on the outer? And i really hope jimmy the jet comes to life. Poor blokes had a lot lf criticism

The reason Thurston is able to carve up is because he is behind a dominant forward pack and with the pack I have named, I think this will give Hunt and Milford the best platform to dominate from.

The only difference is Parker out for Pangai. Is that all it takes?

TPJ is not a 13 IMO not for 2017 anyway. Firstly i think a lock needs to play 80 if required and also needs to be a tackle machine. I dont think TPJ defence is his fortay. Hes a prop at this point in his career. Im not a massive fan of Arrow, but do believe he deserves a bench spot with more minutes to see how he goes next year.

Last edited:
Glenn will probably start as our lock next year, and based on how he has played in the ruck for us since he has been playing from the bench, he deserves it.

Oh yeah forgot about Glenn. I guess it is more wishful thinking. Hoping Pangai gets a lot more game time next year and has improved his match fitness.

1. Boyd, 2. Oates, 3. Kahu, 4. Roberts, 5. Mead, 6. Milf, 7. Hunt/ niko/ ?, 8. McGuire, 9. McCullough, 10 Blair, 11. Thaiday, 12. Gillet, 13. Pangai/ Arrow, 14. Niko, 15. Glenn, 16. Su'A, 17. Prop of some description. Arrow needs to prove he's worthy of a starting spot, because he doesn't provide much off the bench. Hopefully we get Napa.

I'm hoping next year we will see Roberts switched to the left side if he's not asking for a release. Also hope we get Napa.
My side...

1.Boyd
2.Oates
3.Roberts
4.Opacic
5.Pearson
6.Milford
7.Hunt
8.Napa
9.Macca
10.Moose
11.Gillett
12.Thaiday
13.Tpj

14.Nikorima
15.Blair
16.Esese/Fai
17.Glenn

I don't care who it is... Just sign someone 115kgs plus

McGuire and Blair shouldn't be starting front rowers for any team. They are great players but they have never won a battle up the middle.

All you've done is replace Parker with TPJ and placed 3 rookies on the bench. The pack you named is even more passive than our 2016 teams.

I don't care who it is... Just sign someone 115kgs plus
Absolutely

Napa
Vaughan

Hopefully Fai has a good off season.

I just like Napa because he takes on the opposite forward pack and our forwards would follow his example Imo

I'll just add that a back row of Gillette/Thaiday & TPJ is outstanding, same as when we had Parker the back row is not the problem. The starting front row and interchange rotation needs to be looked at.

On the centres I wouldn't mind being the 4th club to shop Roberts around. I was excited when we had signed him but his speed doesn't make up for his many weaknesses.

I could really get behind an Opacic/Kahu centre pairing.

On the halves, it will be Milford and Hunt unless something dramatic happens but the writing has to be on the wall for Hunt. A few days ago I said I'd like to keep him and I hope he stays with the Broncos because I really like him and you can see he loves the club but tonight's game from him was shocking, he's never going to be the player we thought he would. Removing emotion from it It's for the best that we don't re-sign him.

Milford has quickly become the worst player for market value in the game as well, his attitude is horrible and his form is worse. The only reason myself and other fans give him latitude over Hunt is due to his age and the obvious ability he has that just needs time to develop. The coaching staff need to really assess the player market next year to find a suitable halves partner for him in 2018.

Last edited:

6. Anthony Milford

His is our five-eight and will be for Queensland and Australia also.

I think everyone, especially Milf, needs to stop assuming this is a given. At the moment he isn't JT's left nut and we all expect him to be auto selected for rep sides. He undoubtedly has the talent, but he needs to find another gear when it comes to his commitment. I love the kid, have done since I first saw him play at Canberra, I just worry about it his ticker. Every play the ball is slow, and he goes missing way too often.

Say in a crazy world either if hunt or Milford leave, How would kahu go in the halves? He has the skills for it, this is barring his injury worries

Last edited:
Say in a crazy world either if hunt or Milford leave, How would kahu go in the halves? He has the skills for it, this is barring his injury worries

It's not happening, so I wouldn't worry about it, but in some alternate universe where one of them did get moved along, you've gotta assume that Nikorima would get first shot (Heck, maybe even Jayden, if we bring him home)

Its an interesting one coz kahu was meant to replace locky when he retired but the continuous knee recos stuffed his chances. I reckon give kahu a crack off season? But niko deaerves a shot. Hunt needs a month or 2 in qld cup

Active Now

• Broncos Maestro
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • cento
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • theshed
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Harry Sack
  • Thelmus
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Financeguy
  • Aldo
  • Broncorob
  • winslow_wong
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.