2017 Line-Ups

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
What Queensland side do you want to see next year?

By the same token, which NSW 17 would make you feel anxious and give them the best shot?

Qld:

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Inglis
4. Chambers
5. Gagai
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. Papalii
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Milford
15. Thaiday
16. Napa
17. Lowe

First time poster - long time reader.

Its too early and need to factor in injuries and form but if we are speculating perhaps?

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Inglis
4. Chambers/Oneill
5. Gagai/Slater
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Napa
11. Cooper
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Milford/Morgan
15. Thaiday/Myles/Lillyman depending who is less out of form
16. Papalli
17. Lowe

Don't see Slater ousting Boyd but if back to reasonable form X-factor can't be ignored. Prefer Papalli as an impact forward. Can't ignore Cooper and Thurston combination.

Parker will be a huge loss. Myles and Thaiday both haven't justified their ongoing selection barring massive form swing but unless clear successor limited choices and doesn't hurt to have some experience to transition the new forwards.

Its too early and need to factor in injuries and form but if we are speculating perhaps?

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Inglis
4. Chambers/Oneill
5. Gagai/Slater
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Napa
11. Cooper
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Milford/Morgan
16. Papalli
17. Lowe

Don't see Slater ousting Boyd but if back to reasonable form X-factor can't be ignored. Prefer Papalli as an impact forward. Can't ignore Cooper and Thurston combination.

Parker will be a huge loss. Myles and Thaiday both haven't justified their ongoing selection barring massive form swing but unless clear successor limited choices and doesn't hurt to have some experience to transition the new forwards.

love the bolded bit.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Inglis
4. Chambers/Oneill
5. Gagai/Slater
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Napa
11. Cooper
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Milford/Morgan
16. Papalli
17. Lowe

Walters has already confirmed he will pick Slater next year if he is back from injury.

As for NSW:

1. Tedesco
2. Mansour
3. Bird
4. Hayne
5. Troblojevicwhatever
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. Woods
9. Peats
10. James
11. Graham
12. Cordner
13. Frizell

14. Moylan
15. Klemmer
16. Trobolivitch
17. Tamou

That is a team that could beat Qld.

I'm still doubtful that Slater plays, and if he does, he'll retire from rep footy. Here's my side for 2017.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Inglis
4. Chambers
5. Gagai
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. McGuire
11. Cooper
12. Papalii
13. Gillett

14. Morgan
15. Lillyman
16. Thaiday
17. Napa

Guerra & Myles didn't do enough for me this series to warrant further consideration, baring injury.

I'm still doubtful that Slater plays, and if he does, he'll retire from rep footy. Here's my side for 2017.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Inglis
4. Chambers
5. Gagai
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. McGuire
11. Cooper
12. Papalii
13. Gillett

14. Morgan
15. Lillyman
16. Thaiday
17. Napa

Guerra & Myles didn't do enough for me this series to warrant further consideration, baring injury.

That would be my side also ... except for swapping Morgan with Milford.

just adds that bit of x-factor

QLD

1. Boyd

2. Oates
3. Inglis
4. Chambers
5. Gagai
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. McGuire
11. Gillett
12. Lowe
13. Papalii

14. Morgan
15. Sims
16. Thaiday
17. Napa

I think it's time to start putting together a forward pack that will be paving the way once we get a new spine. I'd prefer to see Gillett and Lowe playing 80 minutes with Papalii going through the middle at lock but since he's not a regular in the 13 it might not be the best spot for him so I'm not sure. Fresh faces in Napa and Sims should provide good impact from the bench. The likes of Myles and Lilyman are good to have as injury cover while we prepare for the future too.

NSW

1. Tedesco
Trbojevic
3. Bird
4. Morris/Hayne
5. Mitchell
6. Maloney
7. Reynolds
8. Woods
9. Peats
10. Tamou
11. Graham
12. Cordner
13. Frizell

Trbojevic
15. Cartwright
16. Fifita
17. Klemmer

It's harsh on the likes of Mansour and Jackson, but as solid as they are there are more talented options available. The outside backs are hard to pick since NSW have so many gun young players coming through and we don't know if Hayne will be able to replicate the form he had before leaving.

1. Slater/Boyd
2. Boyd/Oates
3. Inglis
4. Chambers
5. Gagai
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. Myles
11. Cooper
12. Thaiday
13. Gillett

14. Morgan
15. McGuire
16. Lillyman/Napa
17. Papalii

Myles has done enough to earn selection. He did the job asked of him.

1. Hayne
2. Mansour
3. Jennings
4. Bird
5. Morris
6. Maloney
7. Reynolds
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Graham
12. Jackson
13. Frizell

14. Moylan/Tedesco (to play the same role Slater did in 2008)
15. Cordner
16. Fifita
17. Klemmer

They need to make very few changes as possible.

But if Hayne is back, he takes fullback. Hayne is a better fullback than Tedesco.

Last edited:
I'd put Oates on the right wing if Slater is back and Boyd is on the wing.

Problem is though, Gagai has been great in all his games thus far, he certainly doesn't deserve to be replaced.

I know. But Oates is the better option. Bigger, stronger and faster.

I'm not sure Slater would just walk back in. For the good of the team he should hang up the boots for rep footy now so new guys can be blooded while many of the old guard are still there. We are gonna be losing plenty of superstars over the next 2/3 years so need to start preparing now. It will worse in the long run for the team if he comes back and has another series or two.

We have a host of options coming back for next year. Munster, Papalli, Napa, Milf, Hunt, Chambers, Holmes, Slater and Morgan. We really could do with some younger forwards stepping up though. Its going to be tough for Gagai, O'Neill and even Oates to retain their spots if Slater comes back firing. A big end to the season and good start to next one could push Holmes way up in the pecking order too imo.

For me, its the likes of Guerra and Myles ( who despite me being a huge fan of at origin level, hasnt been anything more than ok this year ) that are at risk of losing their spots.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how Slater coming back would be bad for us in the long run. The only young guy he would be keeping out of the side is Oates because Boyd would be on the wing. And Oates has already been blooded.

Slater won't play if he can't do the job like he could before. He wouldn't risk it.

If he is selected, you can be sure he won't be a liability.

Last edited:
I'm really liking out depth in the backs. Munster is an absolute gun, and Holmes has a huge future too.

A bit worried about our forwards. Who is there besides Napa?

As long as a two or three forwards can emerge in the next twelve months, it shouldn't be too big a problem. There's a few exciting prospects in the 20s who have a nice future in-front of them but it's too early to call them Origin contenders.

Players to keep an eye on...

Lloyd Perrett
Luke Bateman
Jayson Bukuya
Korbin Sims
Daniel Alvaro (...I don't think he really qualifies, but if he gets in under the Korbin Sims rule then sure)
Chris Grevsmuhl
Ethan Lowe
Joe Ofahengaue
Dylan Napa

Active Now

• ezpz
  • Maroon4life
  • Allo
  • Bronx48
  • lynx000
  • Ejbroncos
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Tmac
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Robboi_321
  • Fitzy
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • TimWhatley
  • Manofoneway
  • Splinter
  • Battler
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Financeguy
... and 47 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.