2018 NRL Grand Final - Roosters vs Storm

My youngest daughter has never watched a game of NRL. Last night she was sitting with us to see the Gang of youth. Admittedly she only watched the opening 10minutes of the game. She's nearly 17 and the only thing to date that has got her interested in watching the sport was a band she thinks the world of. I think the NRL are trying to cater for more than just the purists ninga
Y and for that I give them credit.

A band won’t get a young hipster into the testosterone filled world of footy. They’ll tune in for 5 minutes and not give a rats about blokes charging into each other like wild animals.

Of their 21 named only seven had played for another club- Storm for the record had five.

Cordner, Mitchell, Friend, Mitchell Aubusson, Joseph Manu and Victor Radley played SG Ball for the Roosters, while Napa, Isaac Liu, Paul Momirovski, Nat Butcher and Sean O’Sullivan played in the club’s under-20 teams.

Storm developed fact, they've used 25 players last three grand finals and only four came from outside- Addo-Carr, Finucane, Green and Koroibete.
25 of them came from outside of Melbourne though.

James Roberts kicks someone in the back and gets a week.

Cameron Munster kicks someone in the back of the head and gets a $1400 fine which he would be able to pay on the spot.

That's consistency according to the MRC.

I think the fact that Munster was sin binned reduced the severity of the punishment.

From memory, I don't think Roberts was.

It's still bullshit though as there was only a few minutes on the clock left.

A band won’t get a young hipster into the testosterone filled world of footy. They’ll tune in for 5 minutes and not give a rats about blokes charging into each other like wild animals.

I think you're right.

Are there any young people, let's say 21 and below, that have a genuine interest in the game?

Like is there an 8 year old kid somewhere that begs their parents to let them stay up till late watching the NRL and their irresponsible parents let them on a school night?

Are they oblivious to the fact that Melbourne like to wrestle, the refs are incompetent, to be a genuine contender you need a good game manager etc...

Every single aspect of the NRL's advertising strategy seems geared towards rusted-on fans just going through the motions year in, year out.

I don't keep up with kids much these days since the court ordered me to stay away from them, but I'd imagine there are still a lot of kids who want to watch it. You'd think most players were fans of the sport growing up.

Man Cronk bought a ticket inside the storms heads, from Bellamy to smith, they were so focussed on him they forgot about everyone else. It was genius.
I hate the roosters and only wanted them to win to stop storm going back to back, but I really enjoyed watching them dismantle Melbourne.
Craig Bellamy, is he as good as they say he is?

I think you're right.

Are there any young people, let's say 21 and below, that have a genuine interest in the game?

Like is there an 8 year old kid somewhere that begs their parents to let them stay up till late watching the NRL and their irresponsible parents let them on a school night?

Are they oblivious to the fact that Melbourne like to wrestle, the refs are incompetent, to be a genuine contender you need a good game manager etc...

Every single aspect of the NRL's advertising strategy seems geared towards rusted-on fans just going through the motions year in, year out.

My 5 year old son begs me to watch James Roberts and the Broncos, and if it’s a Friday night I let him.

He knows how much the Storm cheat and the Roosters cheat and the Sharks cheat and that James Roberts is the most exciting player in the game. Not sure where he gets it from.

Munster was breathing a sigh of relief on Monday when he was charged with contrary conduct rather than kicking or striking, leaving him free to claim the Kangaroos No.6 jersey for Tests against the Kiwis and Tonga this month.
His charge attracted just a $1400 fine and no weeks on the sideline - Munster would have faced a ban had he been found guilty of the higher-level offences.

How is he not sitting down for that?

James Roberts kicks someone in the back and gets a week.

Cameron Munster kicks someone in the back of the head and gets a $1400 fine which he would be able to pay on the spot.

That's consistency according to the MRC.

Roberts offence was 2016 IIRC and the fines system was introduced in 2017.

What a fucking joke.

Haha and theres people saying they dont get different treatment to other teams hahaha he kicked the bloke IN THE HEAD INTENTIONALLY.... On purpose! In the street that would literally get you put in jail. Robert kicked less obviously and to the back of a player and got 2 weeks! Wtf!!!

I think the fact that Munster was sin binned reduced the severity of the punishment.

From memory, I don't think Roberts was.

It's still bullshit though as there was only a few minutes on the clock left.
In
The
Head
... laying on the ground....
Kicked.... what am i missing here. It wasnt an accident. Wtf is wrong with the nrl. Will all the storm apoligists on here finally stfu and admit this bullshit. Theres one set of rules for them and another set for every other team..

Last edited:
Well done Roosters. A total dismantling of Melb and Bellyache out coached.
That completed a nice double of Minor PM and GF winners on the punt for me as well.

I noticed Robinsons brother there last night and I know he is registered by the NRL with some restrictions but how do they make such a big deal about Andrew Gee watching a game in the Broncos box but have allowed this bloke to be registered and anywhere near an NRL side .

It's old news but another example of NRL fail IMO

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/7c5d499e937e79b1fc78f31f75a69348

https://www.change.org/p/senator-ri...-34-essendon-football-club-players/u/20728003

In
The
Head
... laying on the ground....
Kicked.... what am i missing here. It wasnt an accident. Wtf is wrong with the nrl. Will all the storm apoligists on here finally stfu and admit this bullshit. Theres one set of rules for them and another set for every other team..

Roberts got charged with contrary conduct the same as Munster. The fines system for these offences was introduced after Roberts' offence in 2016.

Roberts got charged with contrary conduct the same as Munster. The fines system for these offences was introduced after Roberts' offence in 2016.
Kicked....

In...

The....

Head.....

That is NOT the same and shouldnt be viewed as such. IN THE HEAD, kicked... if he did that in the street that prision. He kicked a person in the head, on purpose, laying on the ground. Should have got at least 6 weeks, AT LEAST. It wasnt hard but it wasnt soft either and it had purpose to it. Ffs, for all the bullshit about how the game is changing this is one scenario that is a suspension in the 80’s or now. He purposely kicked him in the head on purpose...

Im repeating myself again and again because i am actually in disbelief. What he did wasnt tough or misinterpretted, he aimed for his head, the guy was laying on the ground. It was a clear cut and obvious grub act. If roberts kick (not at the head and with less precision, which both imply less intent to hurt) was done these days make no mistake he would have got a suspension. The rules only apply to 15 teams in the comp. its become sad and pathetic..

My 5 year old son begs me to watch James Roberts and the Broncos, and if it’s a Friday night I let him.

He knows how much the Storm cheat and the Roosters cheat and the Sharks cheat and that James Roberts is the most exciting player in the game. Not sure where he gets it from.

My 8 year olds favourite player is also The Jet.

Roberts was trying to get rid of a player illegally slowing the ptb.

Kicked....

In...

The....

Head.....

That is NOT the same and shouldnt be viewed as such. IN THE HEAD, kicked... if he did that in the street that prision. He kicked a person in the head, on purpose, laying on the ground. Should have got at least 6 weeks, AT LEAST. It wasnt hard but it wasnt soft either and it had purpose to it. Ffs, for all the bullshit about how the game is changing this is one scenario that is a suspension in the 80’s or now. He purposely kicked him in the head on purpose...

Im repeating myself again and again because i am actually in disbelief. What he did wasnt tough or misinterpretted, he aimed for his head, the guy was laying on the ground. It was a clear cut and obvious grub act. If roberts kick (not at the head and with less precision, which both imply less intent to hurt) was done these days make no mistake he would have got a suspension. The rules only apply to 15 teams in the comp. its become sad and pathetic..

Please, if that was done in the eighties you'd probably get dropped from first grade for not doing it properly.

No doubt it was a grub act from a guy who is building a reputation for not being able to control himself but that was soft.
I don't think anyone from any team would have been suspended for that.
Blokes are getting 1 week, or early guilty plea, no suspension, from crusher tackles FFS. That is far more deserving of attention IMO.

Roberts was charged with contrary conduct instead of kicking so if he did the same thing now he would cop a fine and walk away.
When he was charged with contrary conduct instead of kicking the other forums went nuts with conspiracy theories about Broncs getting away with shit.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.