2019 Ashes discussion

Pattinson wasn't great in the first test, he had comfortably the worst economy of the 3 quicks in both innings and had the fewest wickets. I'd have no issue with Hazlewood coming in for him. Harris is 70 odd not out at stumps as well, another failure for Bancroft. Reasonable argument to bring him in, but I can't see it happening. Bancroft will be in the team for the whole series because of the left/right hand combination, and because of his short-leg fielding. Oh, and because Langer is in love with him.

1. Bancroft
2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Paine (c)
8. Cummins
9. Siddle
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Why was Marsh batting at 3? Are they looking at him there??? Why on earth wouldn’t you give Marnus the shot?

Why was Marsh batting at 3? Are they looking at him there??? Why on earth wouldn’t you give Marnus the shot?

Because it's raining tomorrow apparently, seems like they were pretty confident in Head & Khawaja after they both made runs in the first innings, they probably would've bat M.Marsh at 3 and Marnus at 4 to get them some time in the middle, hopefully there's some play tomorrow so Marnus can have a crack.

Because it's raining tomorrow apparently, seems like they were pretty confident in Head & Khawaja after they both made runs in the first innings, they probably would've bat M.Marsh at 3 and Marnus at 4 to get them some time in the middle, hopefully there's some play tomorrow so Marnus can have a crack.

Ahh ok, that kind of makes a little more sense but hat would imply Marsh is close to being picked, that isn't good.

DF8FA341 FDCE 43CE 8A1D 7B5AB46C2E41
BD0D5406 2FB9 4184 AD97 F7B29ABBBFDB

Worcestershire 9d-201

Aus 1-92, lead of 157

Last edited:
We know, check the last few posts lol

Hoping they get some overs in today so Marnus can have a dig

Only saw the bit about Harris. Just posting it for convenience sake? Unless people have posted that I don’t see ...

I would go Starc at Lord's. He uses the slope well and it's a hard thing to master. He bowled beautifully there at the WC the game against NZ and England were a masterclass in Lord's bowling. Although four years ago he didn't bowl too well there in the Ashes but he's improved since then.

We have lost there once since 1934 so it's pretty much our home ground, need to use the skills we have there.

One or the other, CA I'm pretty sure banned all 3 players from being available for leadership roles until March 2021.
Warner has been banned from ever having a leadership role again. Smith had a one year playing ban and two year leadership ban. Not sure on Bancroft though.

My dad and I had this exact discussion tonight. Dad said that the blight of sandpaper-gate will drop him below Bradman but that fucking kills me. He was in no way personally responsible for that IMHO.

It sucks that team members can **** your career so badly, but I suspect we’ve all experienced this to some degree.

He saw something going on and said something along the lines of, "I don't want to know." That's poor leadership and a mistake he will live with forever. So, in a way he was personally responsible. He could have stopped it from happening.

Obviously pre-planned. There is no reason whatsoever for sandpaper to be in a cricket locker room. Then when "coming clean" he was still lying about it, saying it was sticky tape.

Last edited:
Obviously pre-planned. There is no reason whatsoever for sandpaper to be in a cricket locker room. Then when "coming clean" he was still lying about it, saying it was sticky tape.

Sandpaper is used as a tool for cricket bat maintenance. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the players have some in their kit bag.

Sandpaper is used as a tool for cricket bat maintenance. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the players have some in their kit bag.
Yeah I know it is but surely they aren't sanding and oiling their bats on gameday in the locker room. I'm almost certain the maintenance takes place somewhere else.

Yeah I know it is but surely they aren't sanding and oiling their bats on gameday in the locker room. I'm almost certain the maintenance takes place somewhere else.

You're not going to get much life out of your bat if you're oiling it on game day. Not only would it make the wood soft and risk damage to the bat it would also get onto the ball and make it easier for the fielding team to shine the ball.

Sanding the bat might happen on a more regular basis. I know during games I like to keep my 'cheries' on the bat as some sort of mindf**k to the opposition (even if most of them were on the edge of the bat). But, I don't often see cheries on professional players' bats so they must sand them down quite reguarly.

Australia XII for second Ashes Test:

David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Matthew Wade, Tim Paine (c, wk), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood

Notes: Starc & Hazlewood in, Pattinson out.

You're not going to get much life out of your bat if you're oiling it on game day. Not only would it make the wood soft and risk damage to the bat it would also get onto the ball and make it easier for the fielding team to shine the ball.

Sanding the bat might happen on a more regular basis. I know during games I like to keep my 'cheries' on the bat as some sort of mindf**k to the opposition (even if most of them were on the edge of the bat). But, I don't often see cheries on professional players' bats so they must sand them down quite reguarly.
Sanding gets rid of surface cracks. Pro players usually have one bat that they like/scored runs with so they might sand off the cracks, say at lunch so they don’t have to change bats during the game (that might get on their mind)

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.