2019 Queensland Line-up

Discussion in 'State of Origin 2019' started by Sproj, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Foordy

Foordy

absolutely you are ... and we are all allow to disagree with you opinion ...

one of the big reasons you are getting called out is posting a video from 5 years ago (published by Friends club BTW) as evidence of why Friend was better than Macca 6 months ago.

Friend may have had a strong end to the season, but pre-origin his form was woeful ... in fact, it was so bad that the Roosters own fans actually booed him from the field at one point during a game ... and if i hadn't seen him play at all (which i had FTR), that would have been enough to tell me how the player was going.

Locky's Left Boot and Cult3 like this.
  2. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

Achievements

• NRL Grand Final winner (2013)
    • NRL Grand Final winning Co-Captain *Boyd Cordner* (2018)
    • NRL Minor Premiership (2013)
    • NRL Minor Premiership (2014)
    • NRL Minor Premiership (2015)
    • NRL Minor Premiership (2018)
    • World Club Challenge winner (2014)
    • World Club Challenge man of the match (2014)
    • Ashton Collier medallist (2014)
    He must have passed alright these years

I agree that he was bad and had a slump of form. Coincided with Radley getting game time and playing well.
    The main reason Friend was playing bad was because he was simply trying too hard. I believe he was trying to take on a bigger role when it wasn't needed at the Roosters. He may have been trying to prove that he can replace Smith at Origin level.

He's still better than Macca in my eyes

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  3. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

He had very little to do with any of those and has been surrounded by 16 rep players his whole career.

4. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

That's a joke, you can't say Friend had little to do with anything the Roosters have accomplished. If anything he's been the rock of the team and the one big constant in the side. He's had players coming in and out of that Roosters side but he's always been in the middle of it all.

What has Macca accomplished for the Broncos?

theshed likes this.
  5. Cult3

Queensland State of Origin hooker

Foordy likes this.
  6. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

"for the Broncos"

And he lost QLD a series.. Good on him

7. Foordy

Foordy

Maybe ... but he blew his chance to play Origin in 2018. and he may never get another chance now that Macca is the incumbent

8. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

I don't think he was the one to blow his chance. I think if Mal was still coach of QLD he would have picked Friend. Mal always had Friend ahead of Macca, as did most people.

Kev has his reasons for selecting Macca and I think he'll persist. I don't think he'd backflip and choose Friend. If anything I think he's more likely to risk Hunt there. Which is a bit more exciting but way more sad.

9. Foordy

Foordy

he blew his chance by playing poor footy ... so poor that most Roosters fans wanted Radley to play hooker for them...

it had nothing to do with the coach and everything to do with the form he was in.

now the position is Macca's to lose ... Incumbents (at least for QLD) have always been given first shot the following year and it will take a poor game from Macca in game 1, combined with really good form for Friend before they look to change hookers ...

no matter how you try to spin it ... Friend blew his chance. he was a good chance at the vacant 9 jersey and didn't start playing good footy until after the origin series ....

no matter who the player is, if they have never played for QLD, they will never get an origin jersey when they are playing poorly

Cult3 likes this.
  10. All you did was prove my point UTB. Friend has had the luxury of playing in a dominant side with wonderful recruitment. When he didn't have the luxury of having those players around him, like in 2016, his personal performances suffered and his selfish tendancies were exposed for all to see.

Which is actually what I was getting at with my quip about him passing the ball. McCullough cops a lot of flack for his dummy and go when there's nothing on, but Friend will kick the ball away or take the wrong option because he isn't as level-headed. Friend's inability to sync with the team was a huge talking point through out the season and has been for a number of years among the Roosters fanbase.

I actually share Unbreakable's view on Friend, but I've arrived at a different conclusion. I think Jake Friend and Andrew McCullough are clones of each other with very minor strengths and weaknesses. In recent times, McCullough has played the better footy but I wouldn't definitively call him the better dummy half. However, I think the way McCullough was used in Game III suggests he isn't apart of Kev's long term future and he was merely there to ease Hunt into the game. It will come down to who's playing the better footy, but if everything remains as is, Hunt will be the 9 for Queensland. My preference would be for Granville to play lights out football and to have Hunt coming off the bench to have them working in tandem, but it's about as likely as Segeyaro winning the Dally M Hooker of the Year.

11. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

Fair. I don't really care about Macca or Friend to be honest. Just think Friend is better than Macca.

In terms of the hooking position for Queensland.. We're struggling a bit.

I'd really like to see how Moses Mbye goes this year for Tigers, he's been made their captain. He has played pretty much every position in the backline and played hooker in a Grand Final. I think he could be a great utility for us on the bench.

12. Sproj

Sproj

Friend and Macca are basically the same player. Just close your eyes, put both pictures on a wall and throw a dart. I reckon that's what Kevvie did (or thought by giving Macca the spot, it would improve his Broncos coaching chances).

In any case, Friend had a better season a few years ago than Macca has ever produced but these days, they are basically one and the same. Neither of them ever stand out and neither of them are ever horrible.

13. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

A while ago I said that if Matt Parcell stayed in the NRL he would probably be the QLD hooker. I stand by it.

14. Sproj

Sproj

I agree. I wish he was the current Broncs hooker...but he isn't.

upthebroncs and soup like this.
  15. Cult3

Parcell is doing alright over in the UK but so is Matt Frawley sooooo

16. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

Cleary is doing alright in NRL but so is Townsend sooooo

17. ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak NRL Captain

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...k/news-story/5bde781908a3b148da8588fb3a444310

18. So potentially,
    Darbs
    McCullough
    Fifita
    Oats
    Milf
    Bird
    Jet
    TPJ
    Gillett
    Lodge
    Offa

FMD! SOO can **** off! I want a premiership.

19. ????????

Didn't Walters win two out of three series since Mal retired? Only the most recent series has seen him defeated and he'd lost a lot of champions in that time. I wouldn't characterize it as a mess, rather he's been a resounding success. Only a perfect three from three could be better!!

Wolfie likes this.
  20. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player