2019 Origin Discussion

What was his claim to play with us anyway? Did he have any shred of eligibility? Surely in this PC world we live in he has a right to identify as anything he wants to? What have the SJW's got to say about the toxic, privileged white males of the NRL's heirachy forcing him to be something he doesn't want to be? It's an oppressive attitude that belongs in the 30s.

Keary lived in Ipswich until he was 10 years old, then his family moved down to Sydney. He played the majority of his junior footy in NSW and he ticked more boxes for the Blues, despite being a part of Maroons training camps and lodging an appeal to represent Queensland.

Imagine claiming the guy who was lodging appeals to play for the other team. Lol NSW.

It's pretty fucked. I think QLD should have fought harder, but I guess no one thought he'd turn out to be arguably the best half in the game at any point.

Last edited:
There's a legitimate argument to be made that the 6 best halves in the comp so far this season are all Queenslanders

Keary (Born in Ipswich, wanted to play for Queensland, I'm claiming him)
Munster
DCE
Morgan
Hunt
Norman

Throw in Milford, Taylor, Croft, Elgey & Lewis as some young depth.

Walker & Cleary are the only 2 NSWelshmen who could even enter the conversation.

Cleary is a quality half back. He's in the Cronk mould where he plays as well as the team around him in comparison to a JT, Locky, or Johns where he stands out in a shit side. He'll be more reliable for NSW than DCE or Hunt, who are both prone to bottling it in crunch situations, will for QLD IMO. Plus he'll be playing behind a monster pack.

Yeah mate. He's from Nambour, was the U20 Hooker for QLD last year.

He was on the bench- Grant was the hooker. Reed came on for last 30 minutes. He throws such a wide pass that Clifford could stand 15m away and had so much space. Clifford's try at 12-6 was because of the great pass.

Great front on low tackler too. He made some great hits in that 20's game. Always after errors too- like he was mad at Blues for making his mates make errors.

Sounds good, QLD's situation with hookers has been looking pretty sad. Hopefully he turns out to be a good one, and hopefully there'll be more good competition too.

How many Broncos players should be picked for Origin this year?

Gillett will be there, we don't have a lot of options in the 2nd row.
Oates will be there, we don't have a lot of options on the wing - the next in line is probably manlet Thompson.
One of Bird or Roberts will probably be there, though I wouldn't pick either - I don't think Roberts is meant for anything above NRL level, and Bird has been mostly shit.... but they might not have many options other than Mitchell. Yet.
Fifita MIGHT be there, but maybe a year too early for him?
Ofa MIGHT be there, due to a lack of front rowers. I certainly wouldn't pick him.
McCullough MIGHT be there, but I think Friend and even Hunt are ahead of him in the order.

Milford won't be there.
Su'a won't be there.

Carrigan won't be there.

How many Broncos players should be picked for Origin this year?

Gillett will be there, we don't have a lot of options in the 2nd row.
Oates will be there, we don't have a lot of options on the wing - the next in line is probably manlet Thompson.
One of Bird or Roberts will probably be there, though I wouldn't pick either - I don't think Roberts is meant for anything above NRL level, and Bird has been mostly shit.... but they might not have many options other than Mitchell. Yet.
Fifita MIGHT be there, but maybe a year too early for him?
Ofa MIGHT be there, due to a lack of front rowers. I certainly wouldn't pick him.
McCullough MIGHT be there, but I think Friend and even Hunt are ahead of him in the order.

Milford won't be there.
Su'a won't be there.

Carrigan won't be there.
Heresy!

What are people's thoughts on Coen Hess and Matt Scott?
To me they appear not as effective.

I've started caring less and less for Origin over the years. I think a lot of our selections have been based on who played last year instead of who is the best player this year. I wish 2019 could be the year we could fix that but again we will be throwing players in random positions and giving bench spots to players that don't deserve it. This is the team I'd name off the top of my head. Tried to get all 3 of Munster, Morgan and Hunt on as two of them are the in form players of the comp. The other is there so Will Chambers isn't.

1 Cameron Munster
2 Corey Oates
3 Dane Gagai
4 Michael Morgan
5 Corey Allan
6 Ben Hunt
7 Daly Cherry Evans
8 Josh McGuire
9 Jake Friend
10 Josh Papalii
11 David Fifita
12 Matt Gillett
13 Jai Arrow

14 Kalyn Ponga (Absolutely has not earned a starting spot)
15 Joe Ofahengaue (Give him 20-30 minutes and tell him to work his ass off)
16 Jarrod Wallace (I know)
17 Felise Kaufusi/Coen Hess (Neither have done anything to keep their spots)

And we should probably be playing against this team, but I don't think Fittler will make many changes
1 James Tedesco
2 Josh Addo-Carr
3 Tom Trbojevic (When is he returning from injury)
4 Latrell Mitchell
5 Blake Ferguson
6 Luke Keary (That's in NSW)
7 Nathan Cleary
8 Andrew Fifita (Is he even available)
9 Damien Cook
10 David Klemmer
11 Angus Chrichton
12 Boyd Cordner
13 Jake Trbojevic

14 Jack Bird (Probably Radley's spot)
15 Matt Lodge
16 Tevita Pangai Jr
17 Victor Radley (I ran out of players)

I've started caring less and less for Origin over the years. I think a lot of our selections have been based on who played last year instead of who is the best player this year. I wish 2019 could be the year we could fix that but again we will be throwing players in random positions and giving bench spots to players that don't deserve it. This is the team I'd name off the top of my head. Tried to get all 3 of Munster, Morgan and Hunt on as two of them are the in form players of the comp. The other is there so Will Chambers isn't.

1 Cameron Munster
2 Corey Oates
3 Dane Gagai
4 Michael Morgan
5 Corey Allan
6 Ben Hunt
7 Daly Cherry Evans
8 Josh McGuire
9 Jake Friend
10 Josh Papalii
11 David Fifita
12 Matt Gillett
13 Jai Arrow

14 Kalyn Ponga (Absolutely has not earned a starting spot)
15 Joe Ofahengaue (Give him 20-30 minutes and tell him to work his ass off)
16 Jarrod Wallace (I know)
17 Felise Kaufusi/Coen Hess (Neither have done anything to keep their spots)

Kalyn Ponga hasn't earned a starting spot, but Corey Allan & David Fifita have? Interesting take.

I'd say our 1, 6 & 7 are pretty much a lock to be Ponga, Munster & DCE with Morgan slotting in either in the centres or bench utility. Hunt should be in the 17 as well based on form, but I'd say it's much more likely that he's either the 9 or bench utility.

I can also guarantee that Walters picks Chambers again, I despise the way he plays in Origin with the stupid offloads and grubbers every attacking raid down the right, but Walters loves him for whatever reason, you should've heard him jizzing in the commentary box the other night any time Chambers did something decent.

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Fitzy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Jedhead
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • broncsgoat
  • Foordy
  • IceWorks
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ostin86
  • Johnny92
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.