VOTE 2020 Captain: make your prediction.

Who will be the 2020 Captain?

• Darius Boyd

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • Brodie Croft

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Pat Carrigan

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Alex Glenn

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Payne Haas

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Matt Lodge

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Tevita Pangai

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Where is the Co-Captain option?

I reckon it's very, very likely we'll have Co-Captains in 2020, so that would get my vote. Probably Glenn and Boyd, with a Leadership group forming under them including Lodge, Croft, Carrigan etc.
What a committee call that would be, seems like the perfect prediction!

If Seibold doesn't have the balls to appoint a captain, without hedging his bets, it's not a good sign. I hope this rumour isn't true.
Couldn't agree less. Will take major balls to appoint Darius.

Couldn't agree less. Will take major balls to appoint Darius.
Not really: he's the incumbent, the most senior, and the most decorated. Unlike Macca and Milford, he's still in the leadership group. That should tell you it's not a change of guard.

If I were Seibold, I'd be retaining Boyd at captain but shifting him to the wing. I'd appoint a VC, who would probably be Glenn, simply as a feel good move. I'd give Boyd three or four games to prove his worth, and if he's not pulling his weight, I'd drop him back to the QLD cup and trial some of the other 3/4 contenders like Coates, Perese, Athurs and Farnworth. If Glenn isn't in the starting side then another player would be appointed interim Captain, probably Lodge.

Appointing Lodge as a temporary Captain mid season probably wouldn't attract the amount of flak it would preseason.

If Croft turns out to be a revelation his name might be in the mix, but I would suspect if that's the case we'll be winning games and there won't be any pressure on Boyd. Catch 22.

Last edited:
With the benifit of hindsight I believe the decision to strip Boyd of the captaincy was wrong. I don't believe it has produced a single positive and in fact has had a net negative result.

No, I haven't forgotten the past and it's my view that Fat Tony simply reacted to public sentiment, listening to fans in the stands. I think the negative outcome was losing the respect of the group who probably didn't think Boyd was the problem and from all accounts is liked and respected by the team. Having a part timer as captain was problematic and it seemed that it forced FT to select Glenn every week. It's also, in my opinion at least, damning that Milford wasn't even mentioned in discussions.

I know I wouldn't have demoted Boyd and the least important reason for that stance is the complete absence of a suitable replacement.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.