2020 Depth

F

Footy Fanatic

QCup Player
Dec 12, 2018
* Means players with a contract option or unsigned for next year

Fullbacks - Darius Boyd, Jamayne Isaako, Tesi Nui, Reece Walsh

Wingers - Corey Oates*, Jamayne Isaako, Izaia Perese, Herbie Farnworth, Xavier Coates

Centres - Kotoni Staggs, Jack Bird, Gehemat Shibasaki, Izaia Perese, Tesi Nui, Xavier Coates

Halves - Anthony Milford, Tom Dearden, Sean O'Sullivan*, Sam Walker*, Cory Paix, Tanah Boyd

Hookers - Jake Turpin*, Andrew McCullough*, James Segeyaro*, Cory Paix

Props - Payne Haas, Matt Lodge, Joe Ofahengaue, Tom Flegler, Patrick Carrigan, Tevita Pangai Junior*

Second rowers - Matt Gillett, Alex Glenn, David Fifita, Jaydn Su'A, Ethan Bullemor,

Locks - Tevita Pangai Junior*, Patrick Carrigan

Assuming we re-sign guys like TPJ, Oates and we are able to offload players like Boyd and McCullough, the team I would run with round 1 next year is:

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Cory Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Jack Bird
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. David Fifita
12. Matt Gillett
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. James Segeyaro/Cory Paix
15. Tevita Pangai Junior
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Tom Flegler

Wingers - Corey Oates*, Jamayne Isaako, Izaia Perese, Herbie Farnworth, Xavier Coates

Centres - Kotoni Staggs, Jack Bird, Gehemat Shibasaki, Izaia Perese, Tesi Nui, Xavier Coates

Halves - Anthony Milford, Tom Dearden, Sean O'Sullivan*, Sam Walker*, Cory Paix, Tanah Boyd

Props - Payne Haas, Matt Lodge, Joe Ofahengaue, Tom Flegler, Patrick Carrigan, Tevita Pangai Junior*

Second rowers - Matt Gillett, Alex Glenn, David Fifita, Jaydn Su'A, Ethan Bullemor,

Assuming we re-sign guys like TPJ, Oates and we are able to offload players like Boyd and McCullough, the team I would run with round 1 next year is:

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Cory Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Jack Bird
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. David Fifita
12. Matt Gillett
13. Patrick Carrigan

15. Tevita Pangai Junior
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Tom Flegler
I don’t think they will play Coates next year, I think he is a bit raw. I would wait till 2021 to blood him

I don’t think they will play Coates next year, I think he is a bit raw. I would wait till 2021 to blood him

I've watched him a fair bit now and I think he is ready to play in the NRL now and will be more than ready by the start of next season.

So could Piakura be picked up by another club? similar to what happend to Simpkin?

We're pretty stacked at backrow, but I thought he was pretty impressive for the u18's Qld

So could Piakura be picked up by another club? similar to what happend to Simpkin?

We're pretty stacked at backrow, but I thought he was pretty impressive for the u18's Qld

I guess that would be a strong possibility considering our depth in the second row.

I'm not sure how long he is on contact with us for, but he is an super impressive prospect and it would be great to keep him.

Long term you could play him on the left and Fifita on the right, but then there is also Bullemor.

I guess that would be a strong possibility considering our depth in the second row.

I'm not sure how long he is on contact with us for, but he is an super impressive prospect and it would be great to keep him.

Long term you could play him on the left and Fifita on the right, but then there is also Bullemor.
Thoughts on Bullemor playing Lock?
He's definitely smart enough, I'm not to sure on his ball playing skills though

How long is Coates signed for? He appears to be the best of the lot coming through who haven't made their NRL debut (Bullemore too I suppose).

I can see Sam Walker getting a Taylor like dumb contract from a desperate club so I'm prepared to lose him. Alternatively, he'll sign a rorters contract that's 200k under the cap (officially) and totally legit

Last edited:
Thoughts on Bullemor playing Lock?
He's definitely smart enough, I'm not to sure on his ball playing skills though

I think he could, but I guess it just depends what is happening with Carrigan as his best position is lock. We really are spoilt with the quality of the young forwards we have coming through.
[automerge]1559802950[/automerge]
How long is Coates signed for? He appears to be the best of the lot coming through who haven't made their NRL debut (Bullemore too I suppose).

I can see Sam Walker getting a Taylor like dumb contract from a desperate club so I'm prepared to lose him. Alternatively, he'll sign a rorters contract that's 200k under the cap (officially) and totally legit

I'm not sure how long Coates is signed for, do you guys know? @1910 @Smokin' Joe

I think it's pretty much fate accompli that Walker will go to the Roosters now, but I would love to see us keep him, at least for the next couple of years and see how he develops.

Last edited:
According to nrl.com Lodge is saying he is unsure where he wants to end up, and has bought land in Sydney. Maybe his days up here are numbered.

According to nrl.com Lodge is saying he is unsure where he wants to end up, and has bought land in Sydney. Maybe his days up here are numbered.

lol

McGuire taunts Walker over benching
Josh McGuire is not one to miss an opportunity when it comes to riling the opposition team. McGuire, always the villain in Queensland's victories, was sitting on the bench when Cody Walker was replaced by Jack Wighton midway through the second half.

Walker had to walk past the Maroons' bench with McGuire sticking the boot in by yelling "Freddy doesn't trust you, "Freddy doesn't trust you".

The NSW pivot put his head down and didn't respond to the taunts although his abrupt substitution will lead to plenty of conjecture about his position leading into Origin II in Perth on June 23.

qld-signage_1nh_3822-1.jpg

Media is so up and down, just last week the media was saying he is about to be upgraded on a 2yr deal. [emoji2369][emoji2369][emoji2369]

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Cory Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Jack Bird
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. David Fifita
12. Matt Gillett
13. Patrick Carrigan

15. Tevita Pangai Junior
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Tom Flegler

Thought bullemor was a front rower

Looking like we are definitely going to need a new fullback next year. The only option we really have is Isaako, so hopefully he can do a job there until one of our young guys is ready.

Looking like we are definitely going to need a new fullback next year. The only option we really have is Isaako, so hopefully he can do a job there until one of our young guys is ready.

Bird should be the fullback next year ... he offers every thing we need from a fullback.

good defensively, strong runner and decent playmaking ...

Last edited:
Bird should be the fullback next year ... he offers every thing we need from a fullback.

good defensively, strong runner and decent playmaking ...
And wants to play there (well he did).

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.