2020 Round 1 Line up

Fair point. That said, Milf equally started looking good with Dearden at halfback. Again, Milf is regularly given excuses but he is the million dollar man and he is now mid-20s, the excuses shouldn’t be there anymore.

He should be consistent, he isn’t and wasn’t even when Bennett was here. He should be a leader, he isn’t. He should be a total professional, by all reports he isn’t.

He should be the yardstick all other players mark themselves on as he is the club’s marquee player.

He plays well most of the time for a $600k a year player, except he isn’t on $600k is he, he is on almost double that.

If you are happy with how his career is going, that’s great. I also don’t REALLY want him to leave but I also don’t want him being paid a million or more a year to be pretty good some or even most of the time. I want him to be pretty good rarely and great all the time.
If you let him go there is nobody to replace him. There is no million dollar half on the market. I am actually not sure that there are that many million dollar halves in the competition. Worst halves stocks since I can remember

If you let him go there is nobody to replace him. There is no million dollar half on the market. I am actually not sure that there are that many million dollar halves in the competition. Worst halves stocks since I can remember

Yeah and this is the thing, I've said it before but the dragons fucked the market with their hunt offer.

I have no idea who simon brunsdon is, but he is but just another example of a league "journalist" that has no fucken clue about the game. Ignoring that he has put macca at 9 (which is bad enough) but listing Boyd at 6? Dude, seriously?
You say that, but swap Macca to the bench as cover for Turpin and this is realistically the team most likely in Seibold's head right now.

To be fair on Seibold, moving Milford to FB last year wasn't actually that bad of an idea.
Was it ideal, no.
Did it serve a purpose, yes.

But look at it from this point of view.
We had a fullback that was Shit house, like completely out of his depth last year. We couldn't afford to drop Boyd completely from the side as we had **** all experience on the field as it was.
We had multiple injuries to our halves.
We had 2 other hookers that were first grade standard to go with Turpin.
Isaako who could cover fullback, was so far out of form and was clearly not in the right head space due to his fathers issues.
Bird was injured who could've covered FB or FE.

So moving Milf to FB gave him an opportunity to game manage both sides of the field and direct from the back. He was also our best option for fullback due to the injuries, form, other issues etc.
Hiding Boyd at FE didn't work but there wasn't exactly another option with Bird injured.
Turpin at HB wasn't ideal, but at least he could defend there, he developed his kicking game which will only help us this year and its definitely going to help his game management.
Macca was typical Macca and actually started playing decent footy toward the end of the year when he knew he only had to play 50-60min with Sege on the bench.

Yea we can carry on that Seibold is fucked, blah blah blah.
But without the multiple injuries to key players that we suffered this year, it could've been a vastly different season especially if you look at the changes he made to the side.
When you have 5 or 6 different spine combinations due to injury, your team is never going to have direction or string together wins.

To be fair on Seibold, moving Milford to FB last year wasn't actually that bad of an idea.
Was it ideal, no.

We had a fullback that was Shit house, like completely out of his depth last year. We couldn't afford to drop Boyd completely from the side as we had **** all experience on the field as it was.
Isaako who could cover fullback, was so far out of form and was clearly not in the right head space due to his fathers issues.

So moving Milf to FB gave him an opportunity to game manage both sides of the field and direct from the back. He was also our best option for fullback due to the injuries, form, other issues etc.
Hiding Boyd at FE didn't work but there wasn't exactly another option with Bird injured.
Turpin at HB wasn't ideal, but at least he could defend there, he developed his kicking game which will only help us this year and its definitely going to help his game management.
Macca was typical Macca and actually started playing decent footy toward the end of the year when he knew he only had to play 50-60min with Sege on the bench.

But without the multiple injuries to key players that we suffered this year, it could've been a vastly different season especially if you look at the changes he made to the side.
When you have 5 or 6 different spine combinations due to injury, your team is never going to have direction or string together wins.

You are right and this is spot on. That said, no one forced Siebs to play Shibasaki off the bench or even in centres when he was very clearly out of his depth. Macca would have probably made more sense at halfback than Turpin as well since he actually has a good kick on him, something Turpin didn't really show, aside from one or two probably lucky ones.

SOS also showed plenty in that half before getting injured, so much so that he should have got another shot when he returned. That said, it wasn't completely unbelievable that Siebs didn't go straight back to him.

And I have said since Siebs signed, I am happy to give him two years, nothing has changed there. However, if he trots out Boyd at 6, Turps at 7 and Macca at 9 for round 1, I will have a few more reservations than I already do (and I have a few).

This side may not have done much better than what was trotted out (pun intended) last year but it would have been worth a shot:

1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Staggs/Glenn
4. Boyd
5. Farnworth
6. SOS/Staggs/Paix
7. Macca
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Segs
15. Flegler
16. Joffa
17. Anyone who wasn't suspended or injured out of the forwards at the time

You are right and this is spot on. That said, no one forced Siebs to play Shibasaki off the bench or even in centres when he was very clearly out of his depth. Macca would have probably made more sense at halfback than Turpin as well since he actually has a good kick on him, something Turpin didn't really show, aside from one or two probably lucky ones.

SOS also showed plenty in that half before getting injured, so much so that he should have got another shot when he returned. That said, it wasn't completely unbelievable that Siebs didn't go straight back to him.

And I have said since Siebs signed, I am happy to give him two years, nothing has changed there. However, if he trots out Boyd at 6, Turps at 7 and Macca at 9 for round 1, I will have a few more reservations than I already do (and I have a few).

This side may not have done much better than what was trotted out (pun intended) last year but it would have been worth a shot:

1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Staggs/Glenn
4. Boyd
5. Farnworth
6. SOS/Staggs/Paix
7. Macca
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Segs
15. Flegler
16. Joffa
17. Anyone who wasn't suspended or injured out of the forwards at the time

100% agree with you there.
Literally the same side that I threw down on paper last year trying to work out our best side at the time.

I am super keen to possible see a spine like this next year when everyone is fit.
1. Milf
6. SoS
7. Dearden
9. Turpin

Yeah and this is the thing, I've said it before but the dragons fucked the market with their hunt offer.
I saw rumours of a possible swap for Bird. If this is remotely true, it only works if Hunt comes back as a 9. It doesn't solve our 7 issues.

I saw rumours of a possible swap for Bird. If this is remotely true, it only works if Hunt comes back as a 9. It doesn't solve our 7 issues.

I don't see the dragons footing the difference in the contract values for a so far injury prone Bird.

100% agree with you there.
Literally the same side that I threw down on paper last year trying to work out our best side at the time.

I am super keen to possible see a spine like this next year when everyone is fit.
1. Milf
6. SoS
7. Dearden
9. Turpin

With Abbott and Costello on the bench. Seriously dude, our team would be like the Irish joke where nobody knows if you're coming or going. On the other hand ... would we notice any difference to the season just gone ... hmmm. OK let's give it a go.

Why should Milf suffer and be moved when he was tracking along nicely under the guidance of a competent coach but his career could potentially be murdered by incompetent one?
Was it ideal, no.

Agree with that, also agree with Sproj's comments in the next post following.

My criticism is that it was apparent to blind Freddy that having both Turpin and Boyd in the halves was completely killing our attack. He stuck with that combination despite having SOS fit (albeit for one game before he sustained his season ending injury) and despite having an actual half in Dargan sitting their available. We had Dargan contracted and did not play him once at NRL level during his time at the club. Surely we could have tried him to see if he was up to it during our injury crisis in the halves. He certainly could not have been worse than Turpin and Boyd.

I fear that it was just a means for Seibold to avoid having to make a tough decision about one of the three hookers. If that is the case, and he does not have the balls to make a tough call like that, he won't be here long.

Agree with that, also agree with Sproj's comments in the next post following.

My criticism is that it was apparent to blind Freddy that having both Turpin and Boyd in the halves was completely killing our attack. He stuck with that combination despite having SOS fit (albeit for one game before he sustained his season ending injury) and despite having an actual half in Dargan sitting their available. We had Dargan contracted and did not play him once at NRL level during his time at the club. Surely we could have tried him to see if he was up to it during our injury crisis in the halves. He certainly could not have been worse than Turpin and Boyd.

I fear that it was just a means for Seibold to avoid having to make a tough decision about one of the three hookers. If that is the case, and he does not have the balls to make a tough call like that, he won't be here long.

Agree 100%. Dargan was playing solid football week-in and week-out in the ISC - and is a game manager. Playing Turpin and Boyd in the halves, and then blaming Milford for lack of attack is putting an extra 20 kg on a horse and then blaming the jockey for the horse running last.

At least with Dargan we would have had a game manager, and a proven No. 7. And it wasn't as if Dargan's defence was suspect either.

This year was a year where politics ran the club, not common sense. And it showed in the last game of the season.

Any of those clubs doing well?
That isn't what I said. You said he was one of the weaker ones.

I think the only players actually on $1m + in 2020 are Taumololo, Smith, DCE, Milford, SJ, Michael Morgan, Hunt, Ash Taylor and Keiran Foran.

So of those players, yeah, i wouldn't say he was the weaker one of those. I'd probably have him in the middle.

sure went backwards a bit there, but was starting to really find his feet in 18. I’m not trying to turn this into a WB v seibs debate, I just think it’s a bit fucked when Milfs been here for 5 years and contributed a lot in that time, yet seibs has been year for a second, and shit the bed, that people would want Milf to be the one who gets moved on.
Seibs hasn't shit the bed, but Milf shouldn't be the one that gets moved. I never liked the idea of Milford being put back at 1. I think he is a world class 6. Even in his form there this year / last year, he was still probably one of the better 6's in the comp. I feel like there has to be something more to keeping Boyd in the team in 2019. Maybe because it was Seibolds first year here, he didn't want to drop the current captain from the team, or maybe there was influence from the Board, im not sure. But it felt off.

People criticise Milford, but in almost every Broncos game, he is a top 5 player in terms of performance. This year, the games we won, were usually on the back of either Milford, Haas, Fifita or Staggs (Throw in TPJ on a couple occasions as well). He's carrying the entire fucking backline on his shoulders most weeks.

Saying MIlford should be moved on is ridiculous, we have far bigger issues with Macca, Bird and Boyd, all of which were signed before Seibold got here, and it appears he has tried his best to move on Macca and Bird, and the club has tried to get Darius to retire but he has dug the heels in.

Personalloy, as long as Boyd isn't named in the 1 or 6 Jersey in 2020 (unless major injuries), then i don't put blame on Seibold. If he does name Boyd, again, in a key position where he is repeatedly poor, then I will have more doubts.

I'm really hopeful of a line up like this.

1. Isaako / Arthurs
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Boyd/ Isaako/ Arthurs
6. Milford
7. Dearden / Croft (albeit unlikely)
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan / TPJ
14. Utility - Macca / Paix / a back
15. TPJ / Carrigan
16. Offa
17. Flegler

Something like that, I genuinely think we have a strong team.

Now Croft appears to be settled, I think this is what we'll see come Round 1 in March:

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Boyd
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Ofahengaue

14. Macca/Utility Back (I hope I'm wrong here)
15. Flegler
16. TPJ
17. Carrigan

Are you serious? Maybe you should follow Souffs ... and the Lions

Give it a rest please.
So close to getting muted. But even worth the time to read his posts anymore. Cookie cutter comments

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Organix
  • Fitzy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • Scorchie
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Santa
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.