International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
the SMH is reporting changes to the salary cap/ conditions for next year

• salary cap likely to be reduced by 10%
  • annual leave to be 7 weeks instead of the current 6 weeks
  • 30 man squads to remain
  • senior players only required to play one pre-season trial
  • origin payments (at least for 2020) likely to be reduced as 30k per match is not feasibile

That TV deal looking better and better all the time isn't it.

What does this mean for the mega stupid deals from this year...basically Fifita?

What does this mean for the mega stupid deals from this year...basically Fifita?
I imagine all deals are cap dependent and increase/decrease relative to changes in the cap itself.

basically ... tough shit.

it wasn't a secret that in the wake of COVID they were going to be reviewing the salary cap and there was a good chance of it going down

It means his 1.25 is now 1.125. How will he cope. The impact on the Titan's salary cap is still the same though, so I'll keep lol'ing about it for 3 years.
Does it?
Is every players salary being reduced by 10%?
I mean I get that if the cap is suddenly reduced I guess that would have to happen, but on the other hand, if I have a contract that says I get paid a certain amount, I have to agree to alter that contract.....
I wonder what would happen if someone challenged it?

Does it?
Is every players salary being reduced by 10%?
I mean I get that if the cap is suddenly reduced I guess that would have to happen, but on the other hand, if I have a contract that says I get paid a certain amount, I have to agree to alter that contract.....
I wonder what would happen if someone challenged it?
I believe in this case the RLPA bargaining agreement covers that if there's a reduction in salary cap, every player's salary reduces proportionally. They can challenge, but they won't win, because there's literally no fairer way to reduce the cap across the board. In fact, the top players might even lose a bit more than 10% if the minimum wage isn't reduced.

basically ... tough shit.

it wasn't a secret that in the wake of COVID they were going to be reviewing the salary cap and there was a good chance of it going down
His salary will presumably reduce by 10% along with everyone else on the roster. They can't just keep 30 players and reduce the cap by 10% any other way.

the players union have reportedly rejected the 10% salary cap decrease proposal
Wow... pure genius from the NRL if they completed the TV rights deal without telling and getting agreement from the players union that a decrease in the cap was coming
😕 😕

Last edited:
Looks like everyone is going to be over the cap (except the Roosters)?
We’ll be fine, we haven’t signed anyone or re-signed anyone even though we need too lol

Wow... pure genius from the NRL if they completed the TV rights deal without telling and getting agreement from the players union that a decrease in the cap was coming
😕 😕
The NRL has done plenty wrong and incompetence seems to be their common practice, but I won't blame them for this.
Whether or not they got the most money possible in the current climate is open for debate I guess, but that is what they were supposed to do.......not talking to the players union first is not a problem. I mean what's gonna happen? They go back to Nine and Fox and say sorry the players don't accept it? Not happening.
The NRL just get the best deal they can and then go back to the players/club/union and say this is how much money we are playing with for the next 5 years. So what if the players union rejects the 10% cut? Another solution will be found, like cutting squads by 10%.
Unfortunately, they won't get to the best result, which would be to reduce the funding they give clubs by 10%, but leave the cap the same - because it just makes so much sense.

Last edited:
Apparently an estimated $130m loss this year for the NRL, players are surely going to need to take a pay cut.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • Organix
  • ThomasovPreaf
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.