PLAYER Corey Oates

I think he's a very hard marker on himself, hearing him talk about the past few seasons, I can't recall his exact words but it was something quite dramatic

I think that was where the club was at as a whole, not just Oatesy

b4abb142199d8502d28e26e184147a3e

The Corey Oates patented fist pump.

Absolutely love the Big Horse.
He's had some shitty times/games...

He's owned it, publicly said he wasn't doing enough, wasn't good enough.
Worked his ass off & is once again, one of the best in his position.

One of the best in our club.

Well deserved. Very rarely had a bad game, improved dramatically from the year before and earned rep honours. Should be first picked for the Australian side too.

It was actually a blight on Billy Slaters coaching ability that he wasn’t selected in Game I.

Great stuff Oatesy. A fantastic year. Was even playing well in the last few weeks when everyone was struggling.

Not to rain on Oates' parade but I didn't have any issue with Slater's selections. I thought it was important for the Maroons to move forward and give somebody else an opportunity. Oates had his chance and it ended when a try was scored down his wing to decide the series. His form after that was incredibly poor and he was justifiably dropped to Queensland Cup.

It's a credit to Oates that not only did he return to the NRL scene but he put himself in the frame for Origin selection. However there were other players who deserved an opportunity and Oates was the guy you bring in last minute and give them a very simple role.

Interestingly when he was called into the squad for Game II he rubbed the coaching staff the wrong way. He didn't appear to be switched on at all and I presume he was considered a distraction. They were impressed with the way that he responded to his selection in Game III and how he cut all that out and focused on his job.

All three players who were picked ahead of him deserved to be there on performance. Oates put himself in contention with his form but it was neck and neck between all the candidates.

Well deserved, our most consistent player all season he just cut out nearly all the mistakes out of his game and was clinical when given a sniff of a chance to score.

Fully deserves to play for the Roos in the WC.

Interestingly when he was called into the squad for Game II he rubbed the coaching staff the wrong way. He didn't appear to be switched on at all and I presume he was considered a distraction. They were impressed with the way that he responded to his selection in Game III and how he cut all that out and focused on his job.
What's this about? I don't recall this discussion.

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.