POST GAME [2022 State of Origin - Game 2] NSW vs QLD

NSW changes are very curious.
I don’t think it’s gonna matter too much in the grand scheme of things. They still have the better spine, which is the key. NSW should still be favourites.

1-18 for both teams.

That's a lot of Panthers.

definitely has reacted to Grant coming off the bench with that choice.

Naming only 2 props says to me they’ve been given the wink-wink-nudge-nudge about the speed of the PTB after their colossal whinge after game 1 - despite laying all over the ruck just as much, if not more, than qld.

I still don't get that bench.

I'm not sure why you would go for Talakai if you're playing Cook from the bench. You don't need two impact players on the bench.

Seems to be entirely based on let's just do whatever is required for Cleary to take over the coaching.
Freddy can’t coach & Cleary can’t play without half of Penrith in the side.

I still don't get that bench.

I'm not sure why you would go for Talakai if you're playing Cook from the bench. You don't need two impact players on the bench.
They’re going to play him up front 😂

Lack of props is a huge risk, but also reveals their game plan...mobile, fast. We can match that. Bring it on Freddy.

Brandy on 360 indicated that Talakai is effectively only there for injury cover... that seems crazy to me that they're going to carry a guy for injury cover again (Crichton in game 1).

They're also clearly copying Qld with the dual hookers, but where it differs for us is that Hunt can come back on and do a role in the middle at the back end... I'd be less inclined to do that with Api.

I think Murray will drop back to the bench with Crichton starting... If you're trying to copy penrith as much as possible then you need someone that can be the Kikau as well. Murray is a great player, and I have him as the second best lock in the game, but the second row has changed over the last 18 months and they are now serious strike players out there. One of the big plays they do with Kikau is using the centre as the decoy and having him running overs, and it's become such a big play now that most teams utilise it with their second rowers if they have any skill... we do it a fair bit with Capewell, but can Murray do it as a makeshift second rower?

Murray back to the bench would give them a bona fide middle to bring on when the props tire... it will be an extremely small middle at times, given Yeo won't come off, but I guess that's what they're going with anyway as either Crichton would be playing some middle or Martin would be moving into the middle.

Brandy on 360 indicated that Talakai is effectively only there for injury cover... that seems crazy to me that they're going to carry a guy for injury cover again (Crichton in game 1).

his justifications (and Freddy's) have just been weird

also indicated Burton got in the side because they wanted cover for the halves, but not carry one on the bench hence taking a centre spot.

also said that it was between Staggs and Crichton for the second centre spot (to cover Wighton), but didn't really say why the position went to Crichton, especially since his performance was poor in origin 1.

This is the second time Fittler has made mass changes after a loss in game 1. he did the same thing in 2019, and while they went on to win that series, continually making mass changes after a loss has the potential to backfire and put too much pressure on his team. you don't want them being so worried about making mistakes (because they could get axed) that they don't play the footy that's in front of them.

So they wanted injury cover on the bench, but they also wanted someone in the side that could cover halves.

Surely Hynes makes more sense then. Cook can play 80 and be just as dangerous at the back end of the game then what he is when he is fresh.

Talakai isn't a bad bench option. He covers centres, edge and middle all to a good standard.

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.