OFFICIAL DRAW 2023: FINALS AHOY

FREE TO AIR (Channel 9) in Blue

PREMIERSHIP
Round 27: STORM - THU, Aug 31, 8pm (SUNCORP)

• Play twice against: Panthers, Cowboys, Rabbitohs, Eels, Storm, Raiders, Titans, Redcliffe
  • Play once against: Roosters, Sharks, Manly, Knights, Dragons, Warriors, Tigers, Bulldogs
  • 8 of first 12 games at Suncorp (Rd 4 v Redcliffe & Rd 10 v Manly are 'away' games).
  • Play three games in Sydney area for entire regular season
  • Home games: 5 Saturdays, 3 Fridays, 3 Thursdays, 1 Sunday
  • Gabba games: Redcliffe, Roosters, Eels
  • Travel to Darwin, Napier, Melbourne, Sunny Coast, Townsville, Canberra
  • Byes in Rd 16, 19 and 25
Screenindex

The more I think about it, playing Panthers at the start of the season Is probably best, especially since they have a few changes from last year.

Ofcourse no doubt we will play them twice though just like every other good team with only the crap teams getting one fixture against us.

Not saying it’ll happen but It’d be demoralising to get crushed by 50 in round 1

this is the second best time to get the Panthers, IMO.

obviously, the best time would be Origin where half their side is missing. but the NRL are never going to do us that favour

this is the second best time to get the Panthers, IMO.

obviously, the best time would be Origin where half their side is missing. but the NRL are never going to do us that favour
Or the last round of the year when they rest everyone after having a 4+ point lead on the table

Walters (Billy's dad):

“Playing the Panthers round one will be good, it’s a good way to start the year. You find out where you are straight up, that’s for sure. Penrith have been a very good side for a long time now and are back-to-back premiers, but we’ve given ourselves a pretty good account against them since I’ve been here. They’re all tough games. You’ve got to play the Panthers at some stage so you may as well get them early and see where they’re at.”

Walters (Billy's dad):

“Playing the Panthers round one will be good, it’s a good way to start the year. You find out where you are straight up, that’s for sure. Penrith have been a very good side for a long time now and are back-to-back premiers, but we’ve given ourselves a pretty good account against them since I’ve been here. They’re all tough games. You’ve got to play the Panthers at some stage so you may as well get them early and see where they’re at.”
If Kevvie is waiting for the game against the Panthers to " you find out where you are" I'd suggest he drop this kind of rhetoric. Firstly, it's a team effort so he should be using "We" not "you" . Secondly, It makes him sound like he's not sure where the team is at, and further not sure what areas need more work.

I would hope that by the start of the season (especially after trials) he knows exactly where we are at.

That whole line of finding out where we are at just oozes a mindset of reactive coaching. I have to ask myself -Is that really still where Kevvie is at? In his third year at the helm, and after an extensive internal review last year I would at least expect Kevvie to be talking in proactive terms of reference.

Not happy Jan!

If Kevvie is waiting for the game against the Panthers to " you find out where you are" I'd suggest he drop this kind of rhetoric. Firstly, it's a team effort so he should be using "We" not "you" . Secondly, It makes him sound like he's not sure where the team is at, and further not sure what areas need more work.
"One might find out where one might be" is even more posh.

But seriously, "you" is preferred if you're addressing the audience. Here is a top tip for the next time you're doing TV or Radio - and it astonishes me how few politicians get this - talk directly to the audience as if you're in the room with them. If possible, bypass the interviewer and go straight to camera (or microphone) and imagine you're talking one on one with the audience. Never use phrases like "everyone out there," "the public," the voters," "all you people out there in radioland," etc.

For example: you would say "I want you to get your hand off your ****," and not "if I can just ask all Queenslanders to please stop masturbating so much."

Watch for politicians who do this. They will seem more powerful and intimate. And notice those who don't and wonder why they don't get it.

If Kevvie is waiting for the game against the Panthers to " you find out where you are" I'd suggest he drop this kind rhetoric. Firstly, it's a team effort so he should be using "We" not "you" . Secondly, It makes him sound like he's not sure where the team is at, and further not sure what areas need more work.

I would hope that by the start of the season (especially after trials) he knows exactly where we are at.

That whole line of finding out where we are at just oozes a mindset of reactive coaching. I have to ask myself -Is that really still where Kevvie is at? In his third year at the helm, and after an extensive internal review last year I would at least expect Kevvie to be talking in proactive terms of reference.

Not happy Jan!

In this case, he's using 'you' in the third person - he's not distancing himself from the team, he is a part of that 'you'.

Regardless of pre-season games, which are a good warm-up and allow individual players to make their case for selection in games that matter, I would have to agree with Kev that that first game, with a (hopefully) settled line-up, will show where they are at as a team - but that's not to say that he won't have an idea and indications of how they are going before that.

I think there are legitimate criticisms of Kevvie, but pulling apart this single sentence - one that seems very much a fairly stereotypical response to this type of question - and using it as evidence of deficiencies in his coaching philosophy seems like a bit of a stretch.

Long story short - I don't really care what Kevvie says, so long as they come out ready to beat the Panthers first up.

In this case, he's using 'you' in the third person - he's not distancing himself from the team, he is a part of that 'you'.

Regardless of pre-season games, which are a good warm-up and allow individual players to make their case for selection in games that matter, I would have to agree with Kev that that first game, with a (hopefully) settled line-up, will show where they are at as a team - but that's not to say that he won't have an idea and indications of how they are going before that.

I think there are legitimate criticisms of Kevvie, but pulling apart this single sentence - one that seems very much a fairly stereotypical response to this type of question - and using it as evidence of deficiencies in his coaching philosophy seems like a bit of a stretch.

Long story short - I don't really care what Kevvie says, so long as they come out ready to beat the Panthers first up.
"Long story short - I don't really care what Kevvie says, so long as they come out ready to beat the Panthers first up." ...as do I .

Conversely, if the Riff smack us by 50, Kevvie has effectively signaled by this dumb rhetoric that this is exactly where the team is at!

He's made a rod for his own back.

This is absolutely the best time to get Penrith away. They have a huge representation at the world cup, will have a shortened pre-season for majority of their squad, and early rounds is when the upsets happen. Much better than playing them in round 21.

Walters (Billy's dad):

Our trial form has been a pretty good indicator of where we are over the last 5-6 years.

This is absolutely the best time to get Penrith away. They have a huge representation at the world cup, will have a shortened pre-season for majority of their squad, and early rounds is when the upsets happen. Much better than playing them in round 21.
The best time to get Penrith is when Nathan Cleary is out, like during Origin or suspension.

You can never know for sure until you actually play the top teams.

I think you're reading a bit too much into what he said.

Piecing the draw together now. Here's what I have so far:

Trials:
vs Titans: February 12, 6pm

Rnd 1: Penrith. March 3
Rnd 2: ?
Rnd 3: Dragons
Rnd 4: Dolphins

You can never know for sure until you actually play the top teams.
Agreed.

But is it wrong to expect a coach into their 3rd season to have addressed the team's shortcomings and resolved those issues accordingly? If he hasn't, has he failed? He has been afforded access to all the resources at the Broncos' disposal and, for me at least, he has been more than reticent to utilize them fully.

If the team gets wacked by 50 down there can he honestly say he has made progress when referring to his initial statement I spoke of?

Agreed.

But is it wrong to expect a coach into their 3rd season to have addressed the team's shortcomings and resolved those issues accordingly? If he hasn't, has he failed? He has been afforded access to all the resources at the Broncos' disposal and, for me at least, he has been more than reticent to utilize them fully.

If the team gets wacked by 50 down there can he honestly say he has made progress when referring to his initial statement I spoke of?
Sometimes you don't really know how you're going until you play the Tigers in Round 20.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Galah
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Aldo
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • Nerd
  • I bleed Maroon
  • sooticus
  • Rambstien
  • Organix
  • bazza
  • cento
  • Brocko
  • Financeguy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Browny
  • Tim K
... and 28 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.