22/23 Off season - what must be done?

Blast from the past here.

Kevvie was contemplating picking his son to be our number 6 in round one. Read what the fans thought about it.

Spoiler alert: he did go ahead and pick his son at 6 in round one.

He was pretty good in the trial against Wynnum, think he missed the one against the Cowboys.

The issue here is that you can't see past the fact that he's the coach's son. So really, it doesn't matter how good or bad he is, your mind is already made up that he can't be in the team.

Our new back-up half. This guy any good?

Madden joins Broncos: report
By WWOS staff11:55
Wests Tigers young gun Jock Madden has turned his back on the club signing with the Brisbane Broncos on a two-year deal.
The halfback has played second fiddle to Luke Brooks at the Tigers over the past two years and has agreed to terms, according to reports.
The 22-year-old was reportedly open to staying at the Tigers but incoming coach Tim Sheens has opted to persist with Brooks.
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fd1ed657d-f98e-4aa6-9ca7-ef667742b83d

With the departure of Tyson Gamble to the Knights Brisbane showed interest and made the deal happen.
Madden will join the club as the third-string half behind Adam Reynolds and Ezra Mam.
Madden has made 17 NRL appearances since debuting last year and had been linked to Wayne Bennett's Dolphins, the Knights and Titans.

Wests Tigers young gun Jock Madden has turned his back on the club signing with the Brisbane Broncos on a two-year deal.
The halfback has played second fiddle to Luke Brooks at the Tigers over the past two years and has agreed to terms, according to reports.
The 22-year-old was reportedly open to staying at the Tigers but incoming coach Tim Sheens has opted to persist with Brooks.

With the departure of Tyson Gamble to the Knights Brisbane showed interest and made the deal happen.
Madden will join the club as the third-string half behind Adam Reynolds and Ezra Mam.
Madden has made 17 NRL appearances since debuting last year and had been linked to Wayne Bennett's Dolphins, the Knights and Titans.

Talented player. decent kicking game. working with ARey will do wonders for him

he was chased by several clubs (including the Panthers).

he left the Tigpies because they are sticking with Brooks. although, if he had have gone to the Knights, he would have had a very good chance of being a starting half.

the fact that he chose us, also suggest that he is smart with a decent attitude. he obviously realises the value of being mentored by a guy like Reynolds, instead of chasing bigger money and a guaranteed start

looks to have the full bag of tricks and some pace.
possibly be the bridge from Reynolds to Mam at 7 , giving Mam the time in six and bringing karl oloapu through slowly.

Head coach: Billy Slater
Assistants: Madge, Smith/Hannay/Hodges

The more it think about it the more I think we need to move on from Kev. I appreciate what he’s done and he’s toughed it out while the club has made some really hard decisions and I think he should be highly respected for that. It’s not an easy job and few others could’ve done it.

But much like the storm and roosters cutting halves when they don’t show promise (eg Croft, Flannigan) I think we need to make the decision early and not delay the inevitable.

Obviously I don’t know how realistic it is but I think if it is an option we 100% need to take a punt on Slater before the opportunity is gone. He has an existing relationship with Dave and based on their eye for detail he should at least have mutual respect for Ikin.

Slater is a rookie coach but he has a tactical mind and eye for detail that Kev just doesn’t possess. Even if Slater struggles with being a rookie coach the high ceiling seems obvious. Kev is a legend of the game but most of our players were barely out of diapers when he laced up and fair or not this generation doesn’t care. Slater is a legend that all current players look up to.

He will do incredible things for Walsh and has shown he can pick a team.

I would offer him the head role and give him a list of coaches with NRL experience that he can chose from as one of his assistants to help with the season.

I think Madge would be great as an assistant to Slater - they have an existing relationship from the storm, he has a relationship with Reyno. He expects high standards and isn’t afraid to be harsh.

Slater can pick the rest of the assistants and with his relationships that could be high pedigree guys like Smith, Thurston, Hodges, or Hannay.

I think it just needs to happen if it is a possibility.

Next year - results will be the same or worse. Apart from a few, players on roster aren't mentally tough enough yet to hang with the big dogs. And the coaching is and will be 100% shit

Head coach: Billy Slater
Assistants: Madge, Smith/Hannay/Hodges

The more it think about it the more I think we need to move on from Kev. I appreciate what he’s done and he’s toughed it out while the club has made some really hard decisions and I think he should be highly respected for that. It’s not an easy job and few others could’ve done it.

But much like the storm and roosters cutting halves when they don’t show promise (eg Croft, Flannigan) I think we need to make the decision early and not delay the inevitable.

Obviously I don’t know how realistic it is but I think if it is an option we 100% need to take a punt on Slater before the opportunity is gone. He has an existing relationship with Dave and based on their eye for detail he should at least have mutual respect for Ikin.

Slater is a rookie coach but he has a tactical mind and eye for detail that Kev just doesn’t possess. Even if Slater struggles with being a rookie coach the high ceiling seems obvious. Kev is a legend of the game but most of our players were barely out of diapers when he laced up and fair or not this generation doesn’t care. Slater is a legend that all current players look up to.

He will do incredible things for Walsh and has shown he can pick a team.

I would offer him the head role and give him a list of coaches with NRL experience that he can chose from as one of his assistants to help with the season.

I think Madge would be great as an assistant to Slater - they have an existing relationship from the storm, he has a relationship with Reyno. He expects high standards and isn’t afraid to be harsh.

Slater can pick the rest of the assistants and with his relationships that could be high pedigree guys like Smith, Thurston, Hodges, or Hannay.

I think it just needs to happen if it is a possibility.
Why would Slater and Smith want to help the Broncos? They probably have Bellamy's job once he gives it up if they want.

Wasn’t he the best player from the trials?
Not in the halves. Ezra, Te Maire, and Albert were all way better. Tyson too probably, but he had such an obnoxious haircut no one could take him seriously. We were all surprised Billy wasn't total shit, but he wasn't anything special. Most of us thought he earned a bench position, but definitely not a starting half. He looked okay at hooker. Quicker than Turpin, but our standard at hooker is appallingly low.

Regardless, Billy partnered Albert at 6 in the first match, because Adam was out. He went to the bench until round 5, when he returned to the halves for us to get flogged by the Roosters and then the Panthers. Tyson Gamble was finally recalled in round 7, and we all remember what happened next. We started looking like a football team.

All the while, Billy insisted 6 was the position he wanted, but he'd play anywhere the coach put him.

Why would Slater and Smith want to help the Broncos? They probably have Bellamy's job once he gives it up if they want.
Yeah it doesn’t sound likely but either did landing Dave Donaghy. Cam is very happy living in QLD now so I don’t know if he would want to go back to Melbourne and Slater may feel the same.

I have heard Smith talk a lot about the broncos post retirement and it definitely doesn’t seem like he hates the club as much as people think he does.

Yeah it doesn’t sound likely but either did landing Dave Donaghy. Cam is very happy living in QLD now so I don’t know if he would want to go back to Melbourne and Slater may feel the same.

I have heard Smith talk a lot about the broncos post retirement and it definitely doesn’t seem like he hates the club as much as people think he does.
Execs are a bit different to former players though. I don't really consider poaching any exec to be a coup, they go from competitor to competitor in every avenue of business.

Anything is possible I guess but I doubt we are as alluring to them as we think we are.

slater lives in Melbourne and you could probably put your house on him coaching Melbourne.

slater lives in Melbourne and you could probably put your house on him coaching Melbourne.
That’s why the post was full of disclaimers about it potentially not being possible.

I obviously don’t have access to Slater so I don’t know but the club should be at least inquiring.

That’s why the post was full of disclaimers about it potentially not being possible.

I obviously don’t have access to Slater so I don’t know but the club should be at least inquiring.
most definitely , even if it's only a small role until he decides to go to Melbourne.
we should have our fingers on the pulse for anything that helps us move forward.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Gaz
  • Tmac
  • Matheos
  • TimWhatley
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Ejbroncos
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.