7th Tackle Try - Disgusting!

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
I have to have a rant about this -
A fundamental error such as a 7th tackle try is totally unacceptable. I cannot cop a "refs made a human error" for something like this. The fact that it will most likely just be mulled over and accepted (by the administration) makes it worse. IMHO I think this is another clear cut example of how poorly this game is administrated. It is downright embarrassing. In a FINAL series. Can you imagine this sort of rubbish in the NBA or NFL? The reaction and counter-action will be precise and practical. I know some people are going to pull out the good old line "We are not Americans, Aussie sport tribal bla bla" - all that aside, as a sports fan if you can't see the difference between how the States run their sport compared to the NRL then you are a fool. The media coverage, the administration, the process - basically everything from top to bottom of how the sport is run - they know what they are doing. Of course, the NRL simply isn't big enough to produce something like the NBA, but my point is the NRL should be AIMING to produce something LIKE the NBA, the blueprints, the processes etc - I'm sure a lot of you cringe at how the NRL is run, we all know if they just tweaked a few things and took a couple of different approaches the game will be 2-3 times better and that would be a huge start.
There is NO DOUBT league has lost a lot of fans (for many diff reasons) over the past ten years - obviously us Bronco / league lovers have stayed but I'm telling you the NRL don't make it easy... honestly I love the product but the way the sport is run is simply amateur and I think last night was another example.

2 On field refs
2 Touch judges
2 Video refs

THey should all be stood down.

I do feel for the dopey refs. Can you imagine the way they're feeling today. Should definately be sacked though.

The whole incident reminds me of the Graham Poll 3 yellow cards incident in Australia vs Croatia 2006 world cup. Yes human error does occur, but an error so fundamental and outrageous in such a huge game. The refs and officials should sack themselves for such a pedestrian error

The whole incident reminds me of the Graham Poll 3 yellow cards incident in Australia vs Croatia 2006 world cup. Yes human error does occur, but an error so fundamental and outrageous in such a huge game. The refs and officials should sack themselves for such a pedestrian error

Exactly, a fundamental error like this in an elimination final - I cannot cop. The fact that the '6' so called FAIL-SAFE methods all FAILED. How is that acceptable? How can they all fail? It doesn't make sense... it means the people who were in charge of the 'fail-safe' methods were sleeping on the job, which pretty much reflects the unprofessional approach of this whole matter!

I can't believe the angst ! It was only the Cowboys ,it's not like it affected a quality team with the potential to win the comp. it was after all only two bottom placed teams with no real chance to win. It might have been different were it a Manly Roosters game but it was a nothing match. It has happened hundreds and hundreds of times before including it occurring in a Broncos match from memory. Bad luck for the Cows. As they say,these things even out over time.

I can't believe the angst ! It was only the Cowboys ,it's not like it affected a quality team with the potential to win the comp. it was after all only two bottom placed teams with no real chance to win. It might have been different were it a Manly Roosters game but it was a nothing match. It has happened hundreds and hundreds of times before including it occurring in a Broncos match from memory. Bad luck for the Cows. As they say,these things even out over time.

Comments like this need the dislike button back, I expect you're just being a troll. However It doesn't matter if it was Tigers Vs Eels final round fill in game, these mistakes shouldn't happen and shouldn't be accepted at any point.

I also disagree with your notion neither team could win it, the Cowboys very well could have knocked Manly out next week and they had momentum leading into this game.

Yeah it's not like it was a team from NSW. Can you imagine if it happened to manly.

Troll if you like, more what us old timers call, tongue in cheek. It has happened many times before and it will doubtless happen again. The other officials at the match really don't have time to intervene when these things happen on the run so its understandable that it can occur. Naturally I feel sorry for the Cows that it happened to them but its wrong to think that it cost them the game. Any one of their mistakes could equally be blamed for the loss. Like someone else said, you can imagine the furore if it happened to Souths or horror of horrors, Manly !

Very dissapointing that such a basic referee error in the highest level Rugby League competition can decide such a crucial game. The refs should get sacked.

The NRL are lucky the Cowboys slink off back up here, out of sight, out of mind.

There'd probably be a replay if it was one of the top 4's matches.

disgraceful mistake but in my opinion it differs very little from other instances of refereeing incompetency where a ref gifts a team another set or a try through a BS penalty or a phantom knock-on or a bullshit VR decision.

obviously 7 tackles is blatantly wrong, whereas you'll always get some fans defending an indefensible penalty or VR decision but they really amount to the same thing in my opinion.

The NRL needs to make sure those referees don't ref for the rest of the finals (probably chuck out the Souths-Melbourne ones too) and then the fans need to move on and stop whinging about how the NRL is a 'joke', 'disgrace' or 'laughing stock' because human error marred a game. If you hadn't realised that really bad **** ups happen occasionally happen and affect the results of games then you have been living under a rock ... you try to fix the problem, put safeguards in place to prevent it happening again but the sky isn't falling and the NRL is still the best game in the world and second to none in terms of entertainment.

This isn't half as tragic or outrageous as it is made to be ... unless you're a Cowboys fan

Last edited:
you try to fix the problem, put safeguards in place to prevent it happening again but the sky isn't falling and the NRL is still the best game in the world and second to none in terms of entertainment.

I agree about the product - as you said 'the sky isn't falling' but the NRL promotes mediocrity and we shouldn't let things like this slide IMO.

I'm loving it. My big wish for the finals series is that heaps of ref fuckups happen (especially GF please) so something gets done about the refs.

The score should have been adjusted at half time. end of story.

Do you then start the precedent of doing the same when the refs have blatantly wrongly awarded a try/no try

Thin edge of the wedge. Adjusting the score,lol ludicrous suggestion.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Redux
  • bazza
  • Spoon
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.