7th Tackle Try - Disgusting!

For 72mins the cowboys lost 14-12, it's gotten completely hysterical, it didn't cost them the game. Bad calls happen every week, whether its a missed forward pass, an offside or an obstruction, the degree of incompetence doesn't make it have any greater bearing on the result. I would say the same thing had it been the Broncos, however had it been I doubt the reaction would be the same from the media or the general public.

I agree about the product - as you said 'the sky isn't falling' but the NRL promotes mediocrity and we shouldn't let things like this slide IMO.

how is the NRL promoting mediocrity? we're the premier rugby league competition in the world; we are arguably the most popular and widely watched competition in one of the most sports-mad countries in the world; the athleticism and skill of our players puts other sports (such as yawnion and soccer) to shame; and our brand is growing through Australia and New Zealand leading to lucrative TV deals

the only thing that justifies a comment about 'mediocrity' is the fact that our referees aren't perfect and occasional have a massive ****-up ... that happens everywhere in the world. You mention the NBA or NFL but they go through the same thing - I mean, the NFL went through part of a season using amateur referees (who were awful) because they didn't pay their normal ones properly and you're using that league as something that NRL should be measured against?

If you can find a league anywhere in the world where you don't find fans bitterly complaining about the quality or bias of referees then its a miracle. What you're experiencing with referees isn't the mediocrity of the NRL, it is just the reality of every professional sport. You don't let it slide but it doesn't make the NRL the laughing stock of the professional sports world

It's over, the Cows lost and as I wrote earlier, any one of the Cows numerous mistakes could be blamed for the loss. Better luck next time and of course, if they had won more games ealier on in the season they would never have been playing the Sharks so, in a roundabout way it's their own fault !

how is the NRL promoting mediocrity? we're the premier rugby league competition in the world; we are arguably the most popular and widely watched competition in one of the most sports-mad countries in the world; the athleticism and skill of our players puts other sports (such as yawnion and soccer) to shame; and our brand is growing through Australia and New Zealand leading to lucrative TV deals

the only thing that justifies a comment about 'mediocrity' is the fact that our referees aren't perfect and occasional have a massive ****-up ... that happens everywhere in the world. You mention the NBA or NFL but they go through the same thing - I mean, the NFL went through part of a season using amateur referees (who were awful) because they didn't pay their normal ones properly and you're using that league as something that NRL should be measured against?

If you can find a league anywhere in the world where you don't find fans bitterly complaining about the quality or bias of referees then its a miracle. What you're experiencing with referees isn't the mediocrity of the NRL, it is just the reality of every professional sport. You don't let it slide but it doesn't make the NRL the laughing stock of the professional sports world

Totally agree.

It was a bad error but that is part of the theatre of sport, these things unfortunately happen and it's particularly rotten luck it's happened twice in two years to the Cowboys. All the refs can do is apologise, learn from it and move on. Obviously these officials won't be involved in the remaining finals. I'm not sure what more people expect to happen beyond that??

Thin edge of the wedge. Adjusting the score,lol ludicrous suggestion.

It's no different to a short run in cricket. It often gets reviewed in breaks and score changed.

An error of that level of negligence simply can't be tolerated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree.

It was a bad error but that is part of the theatre of sport, these things unfortunately happen and it's particularly rotten luck it's happened twice in two years to the Cowboys. All the refs can do is apologise, learn from it and move on. Obviously these officials won't be involved in the remaining finals. I'm not sure what more people expect to happen beyond that??

The result should be reversed. End of story.
Failing that, the referees should each be fined $10,000 directly payable to the Cowboys.

The NRL has proven itself an utter joke.

Lol.....followed by more giggling ! It's just that Im a realist, the result is never going to be changed so I don't get too upset about it. I have no idea why you Coxy feel so strongly about it, after all you support neither team. It's just a bad error and hopefully it won't happen again. I feel sorry for the Cows and their supporters but had they won it would barely rate a mention ! It is only because they lost that it has assumed such proportions.

6 officials are supposed to be counting as a cross check and not one of them picked it up. It could have easily been checked while the kick was being taken if one of the had a clue. The video refs in particular should get a smackdown, it's not like they have anything better to do in between reviews.
I wonder if the challenge system will be expanded to NRL and this is the catalyst.

Which kick ? The one for conversion ? Once the try was awarded there was no turning back. The game is littered with bad decisions, it's time to move on. All the whinging and whining is not going to change a thing. It is important that a lesson is learnt but it's over now. The worst thing is though, it will happen again just as short counts will happen again. There have been hundreds of times when only 5 tackles have been allowed.

6 officials are supposed to be counting as a cross check and not one of them picked it up. It could have easily been checked while the kick was being taken if one of the had a clue. The video refs in particular should get a smackdown, it's not like they have anything better to do in between reviews.
I wonder if the challenge system will be expanded to NRL and this is the catalyst.
26 players on the field didn't pick up on it either.

I agree CF, if you've read my other comments, bottom line here is Linnane should have scored but muffed it. I'd like that to be tested though ( impossible I know ) if the refs got tipped off before the conversion was taken I reckon they would have corrected that mistake.

Not the sort of mistake you want to see during finals footy but unless they start using robots or make games 4 hours long so we can review every second of the game then you'll always have to factor in the human error element. Doesnt mean its acceptable but it is something we are going to have to accept...

Attachments

• 1185065_4700031878159_1042530814_n.jpg
    1185065_4700031878159_1042530814_n.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 116
have no idea why you Coxy feel so strongly about it, after all you support neither team.

He probably feels the same way as 99% of fans, that one of these days the refs will cost a team a GF win.

The refs are getting worse each year, they should be getting better.

The refs are lucky they live in Australia, if it happened in another country where they really support their teams & they stuffed up like they did, the police would be trying to figure out who murdered them.

It's no different to a short run in cricket. It often gets reviewed in breaks and score changed.

it kind of is different though ... in almost every single way. if you want to use a cricket analogy then striking off a try is better compared to overturning a dismissal and allowing a batsman to return to the crease later on rather than a short run.

first of all, the magnitude of removing one run (or even a few if you do it 2-3 times) is so minute compared to removing a try. an average cricket innings is ~300 runs so you're altering the final 'score' of the game by 0.3% or something, whereas removing a try in rugby league accounts for so much more, often a quarter of a team's score.

secondly, cricket is a game you play in turns so removing one run doesn't really affect the dynamics of the game or severely impact on the play of either team. whereas in rugby league it would be completely different. a team like Cronulla could end up playing more conservatively towards the end of the half because they think they have a solid lead and don't want to squander it - maybe even go for a penalty goal rather than a try ... only to be told at halftime that some of their points have disappeared. all that changing the score would do is stop Team A from being fucked over and create the possibility of Team B being fucked over instead

you address the issue at the time (via the VR, or a captain's challenge or anything like that) or it doesn't happen at all. changing the scores later is actually the worst suggestion I've heard on this entire issue. I hope it is just an attempt at baiting posters like me

They are there to play football, not count the tackles.

well, to be honest, at the very least the Cronulla hooker and halves should be counting the tackles. just the same as the opposition wingers should be counting the tackles. I know when I played I was generally mentally counting along with the referee, the ref was mostly there to confirm what I had in my head

it isn't their fault at all but if I was Shane Flanagan I probably would have a quick word in the ear of a few of Cronulla's playmakers and ask them why they allowed a prop to take a hit-up on the final tackle. they may have got away with it here but if Cronulla screw up the organisation of their set in future it will probably just result in a turnover in bad field position rather than a try

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Redux
  • Bish
  • NSW stables
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Accept
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.