7th Tackle Try - Disgusting!

The reaction from some of the Cowboys supporters have been over the top blaming the Sharks team as well as the officials and giving threats towards the Cronulla club and their officials. What did they do wrong? they just went out and played the game while Flanagan and the coaching team coached the side. They should be directing their anger towards the match officials whose job it was to referee and control the game. Harden up princess and move on.

It's not like the Cowboys were going to win the premiership they would've played against Manly next week and would've gotten beaten then, they are a step behind the top 4 teams. Jesus the sun and heat must be burning their brains up there.
It doesn't help when the grandstanding pollies jump on board, I would like to think it's a sign of passion for the game but these days people just cling to the hot topic for an excuse to act indignant despite being largely ignorant on the subject. Not anyone here, but the twitterverse, which is then harnessed by the news media as the 'pulse of the nation'.

Last edited:
how is the NRL promoting mediocrity? we're the premier rugby league competition in the world; we are arguably the most popular and widely watched competition in one of the most sports-mad countries in the world; the athleticism and skill of our players puts other sports (such as yawnion and soccer) to shame; and our brand is growing through Australia and New Zealand leading to lucrative TV deals

the only thing that justifies a comment about 'mediocrity' is the fact that our referees aren't perfect and occasional have a massive ****-up ... that happens everywhere in the world. You mention the NBA or NFL but they go through the same thing - I mean, the NFL went through part of a season using amateur referees (who were awful) because they didn't pay their normal ones properly and you're using that league as something that NRL should be measured against?

If you can find a league anywhere in the world where you don't find fans bitterly complaining about the quality or bias of referees then its a miracle. What you're experiencing with referees isn't the mediocrity of the NRL, it is just the reality of every professional sport. You don't let it slide but it doesn't make the NRL the laughing stock of the professional sports world

When your revenue is in the billions of dollars, I'd say that's a league I'd want to be like.

I think if the Cowboys had a big enough set of nuts, they wouldn't of come out in the second half until the scoreboard was changed. I would of love to of seen NRL officials sweating it. I feel for the players that have a six game winning streak going and are playing for Bowen and Henry's last game.

The challenge idea that they use in the NFL would be a great call. And before you argue that hey it's human error and all that excrement, I can handle the error part on something that is up for conjecture but not counting to 7. There is no interpretation here, just faulty counting.

Lets not forget the Cows were defending a lead with 20 mins to go and they bombed a try at the death.

That was harder to swallow than the 7 tackle count. That idiot on the wing should have gotten that try, damn fool.

Yeah that was a bit of bad luck, he actually lost the ball as he was getting ready to reach out and then regained it but had to change the way he was going to put it down. All credit to Morris for not giving up on the play.

Thurston links Origin conspiracy to NRL

The Test and Queensland pivot claimed NSW's lack of success was filtering through to retribution in NRL games, with the Cowboys on the receiving end of poor refereeing decision in two consecutive years in finals.
"You can see it, I'm not the only one that can see it, it's there for everyone to see," Thurston told reporters.
"While Queensland dominate at State of Origin level, NSW is crying out for something and they seem to be getting it.
"State of Origin is killing the game, no doubt.
"It's what the media wants, and fans in NSW want - South Sydney and Roosters grand final.
"That's what the game needs, they're crying out for it.
"If you're playing for a team outside of Sydney you're fighting up against it, no doubt about it.
"The boys feel it, we all feel it, it's tough."

Probably said what a lot of us are thinking but it's one thing to speculate on a forum, completely another for someone like Thurston to say stuff publicly.
Still, it keeps that origin hatred alive and well.

It sucks but:

It happened in the 8th minute of the game. The fact the Sharks got 70 metres up field in the prior 5 tackles was telling. Had they known it was the last, they would have been in a commanding position to score a legitimate try.

I highly doubt any of the Cowboys players in fact knew they had been dudded by the call until after the game as Channel 9 didn't identify the error until halftime, so unless they had the TVs on in the sheds or Neil Henry told them (which would be an astoundingly wrong motivational tactic) they wouldn't have known about it. There's a valid argument that if they did, it would have in fact made them more resilient and given them an advantage (see: Broncos v Storm this year - Broncos half arse efforts, Thaiday gets pulled into the scrum by the cheating Storm and allows Slater to score untouched - Thaiday plays out of his skin for the first and last time this season).

The Cowboys fought back and were in the lead 18-12 and in a winning position. They were unable to finish it off.

Tagatese, probably the most useless second row/centre/interchange forward (pre-Sharks days... question mark) in the NRL, dominated the game. His try to take the lead was poor defence.

That said, both referees should be stood down immediately and the video referee checklist should include tackle count check so this never happens again.

2 On field refs
2 Touch judges
2 Video refs

THey should all be stood down.

The problem is no one wants to be a top line referee because it's a thankless task and takes years of experience and the right personality. Dropping a referee from the small pool we have leaves us with an even less experienced referee in charge of the bigger games.

That plus there's a huge barrier to entry for junior referees.

Who the **** wants to ref Waterford versus Logan? You may as well call ahead to the police and the hospital.

And it's the public trials of referees after incidents like this that empowers the bogans and parents to belittle and criticise and be aggressive towards junior rugby league officials.

Think you could do a better job? Get out there and give it a go.

When your revenue is in the billions of dollars, I'd say that's a league I'd want to be like.

that also has something to do with the US being 15 times the size of Australia. there isn't much the NRL can do about that.

in terms of mediocrity, the NBA and NFL have complaints and problems with their refs just as much as the NRL. I think you're dreaming if you think that referees in different sports are dramatically better, they all make mistakes occasionally

that also has something to do with the US being 15 times the size of Australia. there isn't much the NRL can do about that.

in terms of mediocrity, the NBA and NFL have complaints and problems with their refs just as much as the NRL. I think you're dreaming if you think that referees in different sports are dramatically better, they all make mistakes occasionally

Granted the market for NFL is huge compared to ours, we aren't going to make NFL money. However, their business model is a lot better than ours imo.

As for the refereed mediocrity, not being able to keep a tackle count and missing a forward pass or something are completely different. Forward passes in the heat of the moment can often be subjective, different views, different angles etc. However, not counting a set of tackles is such an elementary mistake it's beyond comprehension. I've played rugby league for a long time and played at a fairly decent level, and never did I have a referee make a blunder that huge.

As for the refereed mediocrity, not being able to keep a tackle count and missing a forward pass or something are completely different. Forward passes in the heat of the moment can often be subjective, different views, different angles etc. However, not counting a set of tackles is such an elementary mistake it's beyond comprehension. I've played rugby league for a long time and played at a fairly decent level, and never did I have a referee make a blunder that huge.

you probably just didn't notice. every season there would be a few instances where 7 tackle sets get counted by the refs in the NRL, it is just that most of the time people don't notice or it doesn't lead to anything. I don't remember a specific one last year but I remember in previous years the Roast used to pick up on one or two each season.

its not an acceptable mistake at all but it hardly a once in a lifetime event and it isn't beyond comprehension. everybody makes unbelievably dumb mistakes from time to time. you just hope that they are extremely rare events and that they don't lead to serious consequences: which obviously wasn't the case in the Cowboys-Sharks game.

Any number of things led to the cows losing that game

Mistakes they made, inability to score, soft defense, etc

But to suggest that because of these things, the ref error did not cost them the game, does not make sense to me

Just because any number of events could have cost them the game, does not mean none of them did

It means they all did

The problem is no one wants to be a top line referee because it's a thankless task and takes years of experience and the right personality. Dropping a referee from the small pool we have leaves us with an even less experienced referee in charge of the bigger games.

That plus there's a huge barrier to entry for junior referees.

Who the **** wants to ref Waterford versus Logan? You may as well call ahead to the police and the hospital.

And it's the public trials of referees after incidents like this that empowers the bogans and parents to belittle and criticise and be aggressive towards junior rugby league officials.

Think you could do a better job? Get out there and give it a go.

Yes it's a thankless job but it is a job and they are grossly under-performing. I simply can't forgive mucking up the tackle count, it is so basic and ingrained into every ref. They simply aren't up to it if they can't keep the count.

Any number of things led to the cows losing that game

Mistakes they made, inability to score, soft defense, etc

But to suggest that because of these things, the ref error did not cost them the game, does not make sense to me

Just because any number of events could have cost them the game, does not mean none of them did

It means they all did

It means they all may have contributed in some proportion to the outcome of the game, but not equally.

I say that of the hundreds of factors and circumstances and events that weighed to determine the outcome of the game (the majority of which happened in the ensuing 72 minutes of the game), the 7th tackle blunder was not the main or even a considerable contributing factor to the loss.

It means they all may have contributed in some proportion to the outcome of the game, but not equally.

I say that of the hundreds of factors and circumstances and events that weighed to determine the outcome of the game (the majority of which happened in the ensuing 72 minutes of the game), the 7th tackle blunder was not the main or even a considerable contributing factor to the loss.

And I would say that being given 4 points you had no right to be given - and then winning by 2 - is a pretty considerable factor

But that's just my opinion

It's not like the Cowboys were going to win the premiership they would've played against Manly next week and would've gotten beaten then, they are a step behind the top 4 teams. Jesus the sun and heat must be burning their brains up there.
they cowboys have beaten the sharks, the knights, and souths in their (what was before the sharks game) 6 match winning streak. to say they couldnt win the comp is idiotic. they were the form team of the competition, and had thurston and bowen firing on all cylinders.

Yeah it's not like it had any impact on the final score of the game or anything.

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.