NEWS A fireside chat with Ben Ikin

Ben Ikin grabs the mike:

“I’ve got the skill-set for this role ... I’m not nervous."

“Gus (who said the Broncos are broken) is right, there is something not working at the Broncos. I will run the day-to-day operations of the football department. I will work with the head coach and the other department leads to make sure the football program is humming. Everything that relates to football, I’m expected to oversee and manage."

“It’s not a case of ... do this or else. I will look at what sits inside the program, who runs what, and give our staff what they need to be great at what they do. It’s leading and managing the football department to a position where everyone is very clear on their role at the Broncos. The clearer they are, and the more support they’ve got, the better they will be at their jobs, which will ultimately have a positive impact on the playing group.”

ScreenBEN IKIN opt

Have I got a deal for you

“I took this job because I felt I was ready and willing to do the CEO’s job last year. I worked hard to get my pitch right, which required a deep analysis of the club so I could identify where and how I could make a difference. To miss out, the competitor in me was really dirty. Because I had played for the Broncos and I have a passion for the club, being part of the solution really appealed to me."

“After the grand final last year, Donuts and myself both had to spend time in COVID quarantine and we ended up at the same hotel in northern NSW. Dave beat me to the job and I really wanted to dislike him, but the more I got to know him, the more I realised the Broncos had landed themselves a very good CEO. Dave and I are very much aligned with how we see the game and the important components that form a successful NRL football department.”

“I thought the roster was bent out of shape, it lacked balance. I felt the roster didn’t have enough game awareness to get the best out of the young guys who were super talented but just learning how to play. There will be a component of my role that is involved with roster management, absolutely. That’s one of the most important parts of the footy department, so I will have input in that, as will many other people. We have to build a balance of capability in our roster ... strike, endurance, youth, leadership, game awareness, enforcers, grinders. Positional depth is important, but it’s not everything."

“The spine is hugely important. They are the brains of a football side. We all know how big an impact a best-in-code playmaker can have on the result week to week. And look at the impact fullbacks are having on the game at the moment. It’s vitally important we get our spine right.”

“I haven’t seen a whole lot of Kevvie the coach, but I’ve had him as a captain and I know what his leadership qualities are. Kevvie takes on so much because he cares. He’s carried a huge physical and emotional burden into his first year at the Broncos and it can wear you down. I am keen to work with Kevvie. This is the bloke who led me to my first and only premiership."

“I don’t think it’s fair to judge ‘Kevvie’ based on what he has had to deal with this season. He inherited a wooden spoon team and has had multiple distractions along the way. I can assure you his football knowledge runs deep and given the right support, he can be a quality coach."

“If communication is an issue in the football department, then it will be part of my job to address it. I’m not Kevvie’s boss. But if I can come in and get the environment around him performing at a high level, then Kevvie will get some clear air to focus on what he is great at, which is leading, coaching and building a winning team.”

“Wayne Bennett was an integral part in making the Broncos the great club that it i “There is no doubt that when the time is right, the club and Wayne will find a way to reconnect because he is the foundation coach. I don’t know what that looks like, that’s not my role, but he has been such a huge part of this club’s history, I believe a relationship will exist in some form into the future.”

“Is it too much to ask for Brisbane to be a finals contender next year? No it’s not. Every team loses their aura when you are losing often, but as quick as you lose it, you can get it back. If you get the right things right, you can be back playing finals and contending very quickly."

“In a high-performance environment, the one thing you need is certainty. If people feel clear about their roles and certain about what they are expected to be doing, they are much more likely to give you their best. But if that isn’t happening, you won’t get close to 100 per cent."

“From the outside it would appear that the theme of the Broncos over the last 18 months has been one of churn and confusion. When I walked into my first training session at the Broncos way back in 1999, everyone was focused and competing, but at the same time having so much fun. Winning becomes contagious, it gets in the walls, and the things you need to do to win become easier because things are more enjoyable."

“It will be magnificent to have the Broncos logo back on my chest. It’s a great club, it’s struggling at the moment, but I’m looking forward to being part of a group of people who work really hard to get the Broncos back where they belong. I have no doubt that success and fun is what Kevvie is trying to bring back to the Broncos ... I’ll do everything I can to help him achieve that.”

McHunt

This is an excellent listen, seriously. Our kids are going to benefit a LOT from Ikin, he just talks reality and is extremely relatable.
Prettt cool of him to do a sit-down interview with Meady who is still a top 30 player. Hopefully Ikin/DD can be a great combination that gets this club back where it belongs.

Prettt cool of him to do a sit-down interview with Meady who is still a top 30 player. Hopefully Ikin/DD can be a great combination that gets this club back where it belongs.

You get the sense that these two guys have gone a long way to filling the leadership void off the field too. Both seem passionate about the club and helping the players not only be better players but better people as well. The whole club has a positive vibe again.

You get the sense that these two guys have gone a long way to filling the leadership void off the field too. Both seem passionate about the club and helping the players not only be better players but better people as well. The whole club has a positive vibe again.
Yeah absolutely and it gets a world of pressure off Walters who walked into a hellhole and had to do everything while White cowered in the background.

Now you have two strong leaders who deal with the running of the club and the media, Walters (and the playing group really) have a lot less anxiety about all the peripheral BS and can focus on their jobs.

I didn't see this coming from Ikin tbh, especially after he lost out to DD for the top job. I've been genuinely impressed with the moves he and DD have been making and how he's handled himself in general. I feel genuine confidence in the Broncos as an organisation for the first time in a long time.

Not even the tiniest bit surprised at Ikin’s performance I said he’d be a great CEO because of the terrific work he did at the QRL before I even knew he applied.

I think not being CEO is the best thing; this role has been even better.

Not even the tiniest bit surprised at Ikin’s performance I said he’d be a great CEO because of the terrific work he did at the QRL before I even knew he applied.

I think not being CEO is the best thing; this role has been even better.
I really like the way that all 3 of Dave, Ikin, and Kev have seemingly not let any ego get in the way. Dave happy to hire the guy who missed out on his CEO role, Ikin happy to work under the guy who took his desired role at the club that overlooked him, and Kev to let Ikin come in and be heavily involved without seeing it as a threat.

Speaks massive volumes about all 3 men.

Just watched Jordan Rikis chat with David Mead on his youtube Podcast they mentioned quite a few times how they've had chats with Ikin.
Mead also sits down and has a chat with Ikin in the episode previous.
Great to see him getting around the boys and passing his knowledge on.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • davidp
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • ezpz
  • Brocko
  • Foordy
  • Midean
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • Battler
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.