A look toward the future...

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
With superstars like JT, Slater, Cronk and Smith nearing the end of their illustrious careers it's time to start thinking of potential replacements. Names such as Milford, Morgan, Munster and Friend have been floated as potential candidates but I'd like to get your thoughts.

Who should replace these legends of Queensland Rugby League?

And when should the process take place?

I think club combinations are pretty handy to have so I would go with Milford and Hunt in the halves. It's likely that Boyd will be the fullback, as well.

I'm tossing up between Friend and McCullough for the hooker role. Only reason I would pick McCullough is for his defence and again, because of the club combination.

I don't think a combination of Milford and Morgan would work, to be honest. They both play a very similar game.

I don't believe the Hunt can't organize comments. I see how terrible we were in attack against the Storm last year, and how our attack improved when he came back. It's not like Storm were playing great that night.

1. Boyd
6. Milford
7. Hunt
9. Friend/McCullough

We would likely have Oates in the side, as well. And Gillett. Both players are forming some good combinations with our halves.

I would give Thurston and Cronk as much time as they wanted. They deserve that. They will know when it's time to hang up the boots.

Ideally, I would want it to start in 2018.

Granville/Morgan for the utility role.. But I would go for Morgan.

Granville has improved since going to the Cowboys. But he does have a knack for taking the wrong option in pressure situations in the big games. Like that stupid little grubber he did in the Grand Final with 3 minutes to go..

Last edited:
I was originally thinking Mbye a couple of months back, but he hasn't done much since. Whilst Morgan, Munster & Milford have all continued to dominate, I think it's pretty clear cut at the moment.

1. Munster
6. Morgan
7. Milford
9. Friend

That's the future I think, unless for whatever reason one of the above players regresses considerably. If Milford & Morgan continue to work on their kicking game over the next 2-3 seasons, that spine is going to be absurdly good.

I was originally thinking Mbye a couple of months back, but he hasn't done much since. Whilst Morgan, Munster & Milford have all continued to dominate, I think it's pretty clear cut at the moment.

1. Munster
6. Morgan
7. Milford
9. Friend

That's the future I think, unless for whatever reason one of the above players regresses considerably. If Milford & Morgan continue to work on their kicking game over the next 2-3 seasons, that spine is going to be absurdly good.

I agree with [MENTION=8536]Super Freak[/MENTION] that Morgan & Milford are too similar. One of them will be the 5/8, neither will be the halfback. Right now Hunt is in the box seat. Despite his "slow" start, he's in the top 2 or 3 for most attacking stats, while DCE is fizzling badly and Taylor still has his training wheels on. For mine it's:

1. Munster
6. Milford
7. Hunt
9. Friend / McCullough
14. Morgan

Hunt hasn't proved he should be chosen automatically for Origin. Milford and Morgan have even if occasionally they have an ordinary game. Hooker is a greyer area with no absolute standouts waiting to replace Smith. It may be the case that that position is temporarily filled until either by default or performance,someone stakes a fulltime claim. We will always have candidates for fullback, it certainly is a glamour position without the endless tackling and offering space to move so that you can pick your landing target. Naturally a player will have to endure some rough with the smooth. Unless Hunt really steps up this season and is ultra consistent I don't see him in any rep team, perhaps ever.

I agree with @Super Freak that Morgan & Milford are too similar. One of them will be the 5/8, neither will be the halfback. Right now Hunt is in the box seat. Despite his "slow" start, he's in the top 2 or 3 for most attacking stats, while DCE is fizzling badly and Taylor still has his training wheels on. For mine it's:

1. Munster
6. Milford
7. Hunt
9. Friend / McCullough
14. Morgan

They're similar at the moment, sure. I think in a couple of years time Milford will have a better kicking game than Hunt (If he doesn't already), and Morgan is just a straight up Rugby League player, he's gotta be in the starting side in my opinion.

I tend to agree with the options being tossed up, now the question turns to when should these changes be made.

Dare I say, 2016 will be the last we'll see of Cooper Cronk in the representative scene? It's a big call, but I don't think Cronk has enough power like JT and Smith to call the shots. In fact, I'd go as far to say that the Downer Test match (probably the most fitting name to describe a match ever) was Cronk's swansong and that a new half will come along and displace him in the Four Nations.

Fullback is another position that is up for grabs. Darius Boyd has been close to career best form for the Brisbane Broncos, but his future as a Test and Origin fullback is shaky. It wouldn't surprise me to see the selectors go with an alternate option in 2017, it's just a question of who. A lot has been said about Cameron Munster, he's been electric for the Melbourne Storm, so he's certainly an option. However, if Billy Slater decides to go around another year, he may relegate Munster to the centre position, causing the Maroons some uncertainty in that position. If that does happen, it wouldn't surprise me to see a rejuvenated Greg Inglis assume the role, at least for a series or two.

But hold the phone, perhaps the most concerning subject for the Maroons moving forward is their forward pack. Let's take a look at last year's pack and their ages.

Matt Scott - 31
Nate Myles - 31
Sam Thaiday - 31
Corey Parker - 34

Jacob Lillyman - 32

The majority of the pack is on the wrong side of 30. More concerning is that the players coming through Josh McGuire, Matt Gillett, Aidan Guerra and Josh Papalii while showing promise have yet to cement themselves as STARS in this arena. Sure, it's early days but they're going to have to step up.

Finding the next generation here is going to be tough. Dylan Napa is one no-brainer and he really should have come into the team this series, but his discipline has stood in the way of that. Sims, Grevsmuhl, Lowe, Ofahengaue, Bateman etc. could be considered options, but they're going to have to start stepping up.

I agree with everything you've said there BP - hit the nail on the head. Lets assume none of the old guard hang up the end of the boots at the end of the series and are all available for selection.

Napa has put in some origin like performances this year. His defensive steel and Moose's work rate gives could form a mouthwatering bookend combination in the years to come if they both continue to improve. This is almost certainly Myles last run in Maroon.

The biggest question is Cronk. Throughout our dominant run we have effectively blooded halves off the bench and with a senior partner. Has Cronk done enough to go out on his own terms, and we risk losing him and JT at once? Or do give Milford a series or two learning off JT, before he himself has to stand up as the senior halves partner? I think the former is the correct way to go - halves are QLD's biggest strength, it's important we bring the next generation right.

I'm of the opinion Milford should be next in line to partner Cronk, despite the club combination. I think he's done enough to prove himself a superior player to Morgan with a significantly higher ceiling, and I would argue more suited to being the senior halves member post Thurston.

For 2017 the other big question is whether Corey and Thiaday both get a spot in the team. Unless he really tapers off Parker will still be the superior backrower, but he does have a few years on Thiaday. If Parker is selected ahead of Thiaday it will likely be his last series, would we then have to look back to Sam? The issue is I don't think there is anyone really putting their hand up, especially when compared to the depth of young forwards coming through for NSW our depth looks thin. If Oates made the successful transition to second row he'd quickly rise to the head of the queue. If we think one of the two has to go, perhaps Parker should be the one as at this stage we don't look like having two new Origin quality backrowers available in the next couple of years.

The biggest question is Cronk. Throughout our dominant run we have effectively blooded halves off the bench and with a senior partner. Has Cronk done enough to go out on his own terms, and we risk losing him and JT at once? Or do give Milford a series or two learning off JT, before he himself has to stand up as the senior halves partner? I think the former is the correct way to go - halves are QLD's biggest strength, it's important we bring the next generation right.

I'm of the opinion Milford should be next in line to partner Cronk, despite the club combination. I think he's done enough to prove himself a superior player to Morgan with a significantly higher ceiling, and I would argue more suited to being the senior halves member post Thurston.

What about this scenario .....

Cronk gets the flick, Thurston goes back to halfback and Morgan starts at 5/8.

Milford @ #14.

Thurston js still a force, and has said he wants to play for another couple,of seasons with the Cowboys... so that would give our next halfback candidate time to mature.

Morgan is more than capable of handling the 5/8 role, and has the added bonus of being a bigger body that can handle the physicality of the contest better than Milford.

Just my thoughts ....

What about this scenario .....

Milford @ #14.

Thurston js still a force, and has said he wants to play for another couple,of seasons with the Cowboys... so that would give our next halfback candidate time to mature.

Morgan is more than capable of handling the 5/8 role, and has the added bonus of being a bigger body that can handle the physicality of the contest better than Milford.

Just my thoughts ....

I'd be okay with that except I'm sure a Milford Morgan partnership won't work. They both need a controlling halfback to manage the game, and play off that when opportunities arrive.

JT plus Milford makes sense in the short term. It sounds insanely potent actually.

I think Morgan would be very good at 6 in origin but I think he offers far more as a utility and for that reason, I would choose Milf to partner JT next year with a view to partnering him with Hunt/Taylor/DCPleasenot/Elgey/whoever the year after when JT is rep retired.

Hunt hasn't proved he should be chosen automatically for Origin. Milford and Morgan have even if occasionally they have an ordinary game. Hooker is a greyer area with no absolute standouts waiting to replace Smith. It may be the case that that position is temporarily filled until either by default or performance,someone stakes a fulltime claim. We will always have candidates for fullback, it certainly is a glamour position without the endless tackling and offering space to move so that you can pick your landing target. Naturally a player will have to endure some rough with the smooth. Unless Hunt really steps up this season and is ultra consistent I don't see him in any rep team, perhaps ever.

I don't think anyone said he's an automatic inclusion. He's just the only one who's proven he can stand on his own two feet, in my opinion anyway. DCE has been nothing without Foran, he might work with Milford but nothing I've seen suggests that. Morgan has rarely played without JT and IIRC their win/loss record without JT is puss. Hunt on the other hand has been good since 2014, and in that year he excelled despite having Hoffman and Barba partner him in the halves.

Despite how much I hate the prick, at this stage I would have DCE partner Milford with Morgan/Hunt on the bench. A good kicking game is of paramount importance in Origin, and there is no one else (yet) with that bow to his string to partner Milford, who is the only certainty IMO.

Despite how much I hate the prick, at this stage I would have DCE partner Milford with Morgan/Hunt on the bench. A good kicking game is of paramount importance in Origin, and there is no one else (yet) with that bow to his string to partner Milford, who is the only certainty IMO.

Taylor is raw but kicking is certainly his forte.

Taylor is raw but kicking is certainly his forte.
I am a big Taylor fan as everyone knows, but let's wait a little longer before pointing him at Origin... :wink:

This isn't as preposterous as it looks on paper.

On his day, DCE is still the best candidate Queensland have on offer. If he can find his way at Manly, he would be the ideal choice to replace Cronk. The problem is that DCE's ball-playing ability is next to non-existent. In the games that I've sat down and studied, he's usually leaving that to other players like Tom Symonds or Brett Stewart. When he's tasked with the responsibility to put players through holes, he usually stuffs the timing up, rushing the passes making it difficult for his receivers to do their job. It's an issue that was highlighted during his representative career and it's something he's going to have to fix if he wants to be the next #7.

jarro65 said:

Milford @ #14.

If the scenario plays out as expected, that's how I see it happening.

6. Michael Morgan
7. Johnathan Thurston

6. Michael Morgan
7. Anthony Milford

Milford is a very similar player to JT and his career thus far resembles his in more ways than one. His kicking game has improved considerably in one year, and I would not be surprised to see him reach the heights of JT.

I think it definitely comes down to the form of Cronk and Morgan in the 2016 series. If Cronk steps up I think he deserves to play on another year. If he doesn't step up to the mark Its completely up to Morgan to make the most of his opportunities off the bench to try force himself into Cronk spot in 2017. Milford is also capable of forcing himself into Cronks position however Morgan definitely has the advantage having the experience at rep level already. If Morgan replaces Cronk in 2017, play Milford off the bench to get him a taste before replacing JT in 2018.

There will only be minor changes in 2017 so I will do a 2018 side where i think we will see a lot of new faces.

1. Darius Boyd
2. Corey Oates
3. Greg Inglis
4. Will Chambers
5. Kyle Feldt/Dane Gagai/Valentine Holmes/Cameron Munster
6. Michael Morgan
7. Anthony Milford

8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough/Jake Friend
10. Matt Scott
11. Josh Papali
12. Matt Gillett
13. Aidan Guerra

14. Ben Hunt
15. Ethan Lowe
16. Dylan Napa
17. Joe Offahengaue/Jarrod Wallace/Korbin Sims/Chris Grevsmuhl

The backs and halves are exciting, there is plenty of new blood coming through.
If age catches up with Boyd and Inglis i can see Munster being the future fullback and Gagai moving to centre for Holmes and Feldt to fight it out for the spot on the wing.

Norman is definitely on the rise and Mbye is one to watch and see how he develops how ever their defence will hold them back. There is a big question mark if DCE will ever get back to his best. Chuck Hunts name in there who i put on the bench and there is some healthy copetition and depth in the halves.

The forwards are a worry. I think Scott could potentially go around another year, albeit playing reduced minutes. But we need atleast a few old blokes to lead the next generation through. We really need someone like Sims, Offa, Wallace, Grevs to take that next step at club level over the next 18months because I can't really think of anyone else who is ready. I don't think Thaiday will offer enough then, he just scrapes into the team now and he showed how much he has declined in the Aus game.

No one is really standing out to replace Smith either. It could be any of Macca, Friend, Granville, Segeyaro at this stage.

Also who captains that team?
Boyd, Inglis and Scott stand out but they would all be short term. I think I would go with Boyd at this stage, or maybe even co captains with someone else.

Last edited:
I think if Morgan is going to partner Milford in the halves, then Morgan should be halfback.

He is the only one out of the two players that has experience at halfback.

Active Now

• Behold
  • Fozz
  • broncoscope
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • sooticus
  • Johnny92
  • Manofoneway
  • Manifesto
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.